Starting with Vetiver Grass:

  • Norm
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 12, 2008
      Hi:
      Can't anyone give me some tips on growing Vetiver grass? I had read on
      the list for some time about it's use, but thought it probably wasn't
      available in Australia, but of late discovered it is. I obtained some
      sad looking plants through the post & immediately planted them in a
      large pot of potting mixture, as I thought that would have given them
      the best chance of survival. I was disappointed that the plants I
      obtained had very little in the way of roots, as after reading that
      one of it's main pluses was it's massive root system. I want to
      increase them & thought the pot might be the best way at first to
      increase my numbers, before I start planting them out. They seem to be
      very slow. I have had them for about three weeks; some of the green
      shoots have increased in length. The potting mixture would have
      fertilizer of some kind as I buy my mixture from a local nursery, but
      to hopefully encourage the plants to grow fast I have mixed in some
      natural manure lower down in the potting mixture, so that when their
      roots reach it hopefully it will help them get off to a good start. We
      have had some cool weather about 22C up to the 30'sC. Am I being too
      impatient? Does it increase its tillers rapidly & any other hints you
      may think may help me? Thanks…regards to all Norm.
    • Robert Monie
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 13, 2008
        Hi Norm,

        Vetiver roots do not automatically grow�long and thick; often they have to be coaxed to bring out their genetic potential.

        I have no clue how to grow Vetiver grass in Australia, but in New Orleans I have observed a few things that help. Vetiver starts well in a soft blend of sand and peat moss (maybe 4 or 5 to 1 ratio), well fortified with arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi (AMF), especially�Glomus mosseae and Glomus intraradices. (In the USA, Paul Stammets can supply some good AMF blends to try) Defatted rice hulls or dried kenaf might make a good substitute for the peat moss. . Keep other plants away from the young Vetiver for�a year or two, and when�the Vetiver�are at least 4 feet high, �cut the Vetiiver leaves occassionally and mulch with them around the plants. The Vetiver pros who grow them commercially literally have "bags of tricks" they use to enchance perfume potential and root growth.� They often grow the Vetiver in polybags that offer little resistance to root growth. Try to find a nearby farmer that does this. Another trick is to use a post hole digger to open a
        cylindrical hole in the ground to a depth of at least 2 or 3 feet, fill the opening with sand, peat, and AMF and then gently plant the young Vetiver on top. Also, all plant roots tend to follow calcium in the soil. You might want to have a lab test your soil for calcium. If it is low, you could use high-cal lime to raise calcium levels. Some Louisiana farmers who grow Vetiver�have good sucess with�chicken manure (familiar to all Fukuoka fans) as a general soil amendment, but as a vegan�I eschew that route. Finally, it is entirely possible that Alan Kapuler's inulin root technique might enhance the growth of nearby Vetiver roots. You would plant inulin-rich plants such as sunflower, yacon, burdock, and chicory near to the Vetiver to test this. In my garden, I have Vetiver and yacon growing happily side by side but I can't verify any symbiotic relationship yet.

        Sincerely,

        Bob Monie
        New Orleans, LA
        Zone 8�