soil regeneration

  • Xavier Dequaire
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 9, 2002
      Following up some discussions here, have a look at
      Ramial Chipped Wood (RCW)
      a method developped in Canada at the Laval university by G. Lemieux

      The only reference I have now is
      http://users.skynet.be/BRFinfo/anglais/abstract.htm

      but you can search for "Ramial Chipped Wood"

      peace

      XAvier
      --
      _____________________________________
      For bedre kommunikasjon og læring:

      Do you wonder what your lifestyle implies for our common planet?
      Explore that at http://www.earthday.org/footprint/

      _____________________________________
      Homesite http://www.futurich.com/
      _____________________________________
    • souscayrous
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 9, 2002
        Hello Xavier, I'm glad you joined up with the group and are posting at this
        relatively quiet time (I suspect those of us in the northern hemisphere are
        working hard outside at the moment).
        The BRF/RCW work of Lemieux is certainly interesting and I personally find
        it convincing, though as has been pointed out to me elsewhere, grassland is
        fertile too. Yet, the principle nature of the best farmland is that it was
        once climax hardwood forest - ie the fertility of the best soil is
        underwritten by the centuries long breakdown of hardwood. It seems
        reasonable to assume that the mulching of tired soil by BRF would help
        return the soil to fertility. This is certainly why I used the composting
        techniques of Jean Pain - though this was ostensibly to preclude the need
        for irrigation, the fact that it would also put lignious organic matter back
        into the soil via a mulch (the lignin being broken down through fungal
        action into humic acid) was also a positive reason for me.
        However, it has also been pointed out at length on this list that such
        composting and mulching techniques while useful are not as beneficial as
        simply using plants to return the soil to a fertile state. Whilst the time
        needed to grow a hardwood forest and return it to fertility may be beyond
        our patience (100-200 years) it is not impossible to wait the ten years or
        so for a fast growing nitrogen fixing tree such as the Black Wattle used by
        Fukuoka (did we decide that he meant Acacia mollissonia by this?) to be
        large enough to fell or simply trim and return the cuttings to the soil -
        such techniques are certainly the current thinking in sustainable
        agriforestry/silvopasture/intercropping etc.
        For vegetable production alone fertility can be built in the soil more
        quickly, naturally and economically by the use of green mulches or
        successional cropping (with or without Emilia's raised bed techniques). It
        is the area I'm currently looking at as I aim to put about 400m2 into raised
        beds this autumn and I look for the right crops/green mulch/cover crops to
        grow between now and the start of next years growing season.
        If anyone has experience of starting up such an operation (some of the
        produce will be for the market some for local families in a small CSA type
        venture and the rest for my family) then I would appreciate any help going.
        Xavier, you'll find a discussion on Lemieux in the archives of this group
        covering some of the above points as well as associated background and
        references (including weblinks); I'm thinking especially of the work of Alan
        Smith on the oxygen/ethylene cycle in soils and the work of Elaine Ingham on
        the 'Soil Food Web'.

        Souscayrous

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 9, 2002
          What I understand is that you can use coppice wood for that purpose and for 3-4
          years. In an integrated settlement, at least in temperate and cold climate
          (like here in Norway and Canada) with locally produced wood for heating, this
          seems a good and interesting solution.

          I'll explore the archive

          > Whilst the time needed to grow a hardwood forest and return it to fertility
          > may be beyond our patience (100-200 years)

          I have read somewhere, new research results, that the best forest nowadays grow
          on former farm land....

          so the alternance like in traditional settlements with burning of small areas
          like the lacandon or in the amazonas might be a reasonable solution.
          It is sustainable

          peace

          XAvier
          --
          _____________________________________

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 9, 2002
            >In an integrated settlement, at least in temperate and cold climate
            (like here in Norway and Canada) with locally produced wood for heating,
            this
            seems a good and interesting solution.

            Also here in southern France, the chêne vert coppice nicely; large pieces
            for firewood smaller twigs, branches and leaves I break or split into
            smaller pieces for a deep mulch. Sustainable, but without a chainsaw and
            robust shredder quite labour intensive.
            Souscayrous

            What I understand is that you can use coppice wood for that purpose and for
            3-4
            years. In an integrated settlement, at least in temperate and cold climate
            (like here in Norway and Canada) with locally produced wood for heating,
            this
            seems a good and interesting solution.

            I'll explore the archive

            > Whilst the time needed to grow a hardwood forest and return it to
            fertility
            > may be beyond our patience (100-200 years)

            I have read somewhere, new research results, that the best forest nowadays
            grow
            on former farm land....

            so the alternance like in traditional settlements with burning of small
            areas
            like the lacandon or in the amazonas might be a reasonable solution.
            It is sustainable

            peace

            XAvier
            --
            _____________________________________
            For bedre kommunikasjon og læring:
            For en bærekraftig samfunn
            XDi, X a v i e r D E Q U A I R E i n t e r a k t i v
            phone: (+47) 66 84 79 83
            CBT/Multimedia---anvendt e-learning-
            _____________________________________

            Do you wonder what your lifestyle implies for our common planet?
            Explore that at http://www.earthday.org/footprint/

          • burt levy
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 9, 2002
              I was wondering since it is growing season, if anyone
              was working on producing a Fukuoka Natural farm or
              garden, and what thier results are so far. Also what
              problems are they facing. I'm traveling up into the
              Northwest from Northern Cal. I'm stopping off at
              various organic farms to talk to people about Natural
              farming. I'm going to try to convince organic farmers
              to try Natural farming techniques on fallow ground, or
              on small patches as test sites. I'll report on any
              takers.

              HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
              http://www.hotjobs.com
            • Robert Monie
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 10, 2002
                REPLY:
                Hi Burt and Souscayrous,
                A network of Fukuoka experimental stations throughout the US would be a great accomplishment, even if only a little plot on each farm were devoted to this purpose.
                Burt, do you have any plans to go near the Redwood National Park? About 35 miles east of the park, off Bigfoot Scenic Highway 96, in Orleans, California, is George Steven's "Synergy Seeds" farm. Since Stevens is just about the only commercial farmer in the US who claims to be growing some seed (mostly grains, I believe) by methods adapted from Fukuoka, it would be a shame not to stop and talk with him. His address is P.O. Box 323, Orleans, CA 95556, e-mail 67@....
                Wouldn't we all like to see a map of Fukuoka research farms from Vancouver to Florida, from Baja, California to Rhode Island--a sort of Woody Guthrie "this land is your land" network dovoted to natural farming.
                May you have a productive trip along the West Coast,
                Robert Monie
                burt levy wrote:I was wondering since it is growing season, if anyone

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 12, 2002
                  I went through the area on the coast. I didn't go to
                  Synergy farms, but I have been in contact with George.
                  I told him about the website here. I have plans to
                  visit him in Sept. He is about 3 hours away. I told
                  him we could make seedballs while I was there. He was
                  pretty excited about that and said that he would have
                  some friends over and have a seedball party. One thing
                  however is that a 300,000 acre fire went through that
                  area into and So. Oregon. I was told that it went
                  through Orleans. So I am going to email Geogre and
                  find out if he made it through alright. He lives in a
                  very remote area. I'll report on If he is alright.