Farmers suicide India-due to bankruptcy and GM seeds.

  • cid ananda
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 8, 2008
      The GM genocide: Thousands of Indian farmers are committing suicide after using
      genetically modified crops

      By Andrew Malone

      When Prince Charles claimed thousands of Indian farmers were killing themselves
      after using GM crops, he was branded a scaremonger. In fact, as this chilling
      dispatch reveals, it's even WORSE than he feared.

      The children were inconsolable. Mute with shock and fighting back tears, they
      huddled beside their mother as friends and neighbours prepared their father's
      body for cremation on a blazing bonfire built on the cracked, barren fields
      near their home.

      As flames consumed the corpse, Ganjanan, 12, and Kalpana, 14, faced a grim
      future. While Shankara Mandaukar had hoped his son and daughter would have a
      better life under India's economic boom, they now face working as slave labour
      for a few pence a day. Landless and homeless, they will be the lowest of the
      low.
      Indian farmer

      Human tragedy: A farmer and child in India's 'suicide belt'

      Shankara, respected farmer, loving husband and father, had taken his own life.
      Less than 24 hours earlier, facing the loss of his land due to debt, he drank a
      cupful of chemical insecticide.

      Unable to pay back the equivalent of two years' earnings, he was in despair. He
      could see no way out.

      There were still marks in the dust where he had writhed in agony. Other
      villagers looked on - they knew from experience that any intervention was
      pointless - as he lay doubled up on the ground, crying out in pain and
      vomiting.

      Moaning, he crawled on to a bench outside his simple home 100 miles from Nagpur
      in central India. An hour later, he stopped making any noise. Then he stopped
      breathing. At 5pm on Sunday, the life of Shankara Mandaukar came to an end.

      As neighbours gathered to pray outside the family home, Nirmala Mandaukar, 50,
      told how she rushed back from the fields to find her husband dead. 'He was a
      loving and caring man,' she said, weeping quietly.

      'But he couldn't take any more. The mental anguish was too much. We have lost
      everything.'

      Shankara's crop had failed - twice. Of course, famine and pestilence are part
      of India's ancient story.

      But the death of this respected farmer has been blamed on something far more
      modern and sinister: genetically modified crops.

      Shankara, like millions of other Indian farmers, had been promised previously
      unheard of harvests and income if he switched from farming with traditional
      seeds to planting GM seeds instead.
      Prince Charles

      Distressed: Prince Charles has set up charity Bhumi Vardaan Foundation to
      address the plight of suicide farmers

      Beguiled by the promise of future riches, he borrowed money in order to buy the
      GM seeds. But when the harvests failed, he was left with spiralling debts - and
      no income.

      So Shankara became one of an estimated 125,000 farmers to take their own life
      as a result of the ruthless drive to use India as a testing ground for
      genetically modified crops.

      The crisis, branded the 'GM Genocide' by campaigners, was highlighted recently
      when Prince Charles claimed that the issue of GM had become a 'global moral
      question' - and the time had come to end its unstoppable march.

      Speaking by video link to a conference in the Indian capital, Delhi, he
      infuriated bio-tech leaders and some politicians by condemning 'the truly
      appalling and tragic rate of small farmer suicides in India, stemming... from
      the failure of many GM crop varieties'.

      Ranged against the Prince are powerful GM lobbyists and prominent politicians,
      who claim that genetically modified crops have transformed Indian agriculture,
      providing greater yields than ever before.

      The rest of the world, they insist, should embrace 'the future' and follow
      suit.

      So who is telling the truth? To find out, I travelled to the 'suicide belt' in
      Maharashtra state.

      What I found was deeply disturbing - and has profound implications for
      countries, including Britain, debating whether to allow the planting of seeds
      manipulated by scientists to circumvent the laws of nature.

      For official figures from the Indian Ministry of Agriculture do indeed confirm
      that in a huge humanitarian crisis, more than 1,000 farmers kill themselves
      here each month.

      Simple, rural people, they are dying slow, agonising deaths. Most swallow
      insecticide - a pricey substance they were promised they would not need when
      they were coerced into growing expensive GM crops.

      It seems that many are massively in debt to local money-lenders, having
      over-borrowed to purchase GM seed.

      Pro-GM experts claim that it is rural poverty, alcoholism, drought and
      'agrarian distress' that is the real reason for the horrific toll.

      But, as I discovered during a four-day journey through the epicentre of the
      disaster, that is not the full story.
      Monsanto

      Death seeds: A Greenpeace protester sprays milk-based paint on a Monsanto
      research soybean field near Atlantic, Iowa

      In one small village I visited, 18 farmers had committed suicide after being
      sucked into GM debts. In some cases, women have taken over farms from their
      dead husbands - only to kill themselves as well.

      Latta Ramesh, 38, drank insecticide after her crops failed - two years after
      her husband disappeared when the GM debts became too much.

      She left her ten-year-old son, Rashan, in the care of relatives. 'He cries when
      he thinks of his mother,' said the dead woman's aunt, sitting listlessly in
      shade near the fields.

      Village after village, families told how they had fallen into debt after being
      persuaded to buy GM seeds instead of traditional cotton seeds.

      The price difference is staggering: £10 for 100 grams of GM seed, compared with
      less than £10 for 1,000 times more traditional seeds.

      But GM salesmen and government officials had promised farmers that these were
      'magic seeds' - with better crops that would be free from parasites and
      insects.

      Indeed, in a bid to promote the uptake of GM seeds, traditional varieties were
      banned from many government seed banks.

      The authorities had a vested interest in promoting this new biotechnology.
      Desperate to escape the grinding poverty of the post-independence years, the
      Indian government had agreed to allow new bio-tech giants, such as the U.S.
      market-leader Monsanto, to sell their new seed creations.

      In return for allowing western companies access to the second most populated
      country in the world, with more than one billion people, India was granted
      International Monetary Fund loans in the Eighties and Nineties, helping to
      launch an economic revolution.

      But while cities such as Mumbai and Delhi have boomed, the farmers' lives have
      slid back into the dark ages.

      Though areas of India planted with GM seeds have doubled in two years - up to
      17 million acres - many famers have found there is a terrible price to be paid.

      Far from being 'magic seeds', GM pest-proof 'breeds' of cotton have been
      devastated by bollworms, a voracious parasite.

      Nor were the farmers told that these seeds require double the amount of water.
      This has proved a matter of life and death.

      With rains failing for the past two years, many GM crops have simply withered
      and died, leaving the farmers with crippling debts and no means of paying them
      off.

      Having taken loans from traditional money lenders at extortionate rates,
      hundreds of thousands of small farmers have faced losing their land as the
      expensive seeds fail, while those who could struggle on faced a fresh crisis.

      When crops failed in the past, farmers could still save seeds and replant them
      the following year.

      But with GM seeds they cannot do this. That's because GM seeds contain so-
      called 'terminator technology', meaning that they have been genetically
      modified so that the resulting crops do not produce viable seeds of their own.

      As a result, farmers have to buy new seeds each year at the same punitive
      prices. For some, that means the difference between life and death.

      Take the case of Suresh Bhalasa, another farmer who was cremated this week,
      leaving a wife and two children.

      As night fell after the ceremony, and neighbours squatted outside while sacred
      cows were brought in from the fields, his family had no doubt that their
      troubles stemmed from the moment they were encouraged to buy BT Cotton, a
      geneticallymodified plant created by Monsanto.

      'We are ruined now,' said the dead man's 38-year-old wife. 'We bought 100 grams
      of BT Cotton. Our crop failed twice. My husband had become depressed. He went
      out to his field, lay down in the cotton and swallowed insecticide.'

      Villagers bundled him into a rickshaw and headed to hospital along rutted farm
      roads. 'He cried out that he had taken the insecticide and he was sorry,' she
      said, as her family and neighbours crowded into her home to pay their respects.
      'He was dead by the time they got to hospital.'

      Asked if the dead man was a 'drunkard' or suffered from other 'social
      problems', as alleged by pro-GM officials, the quiet, dignified gathering
      erupted in anger. 'No! No!' one of the dead man's brothers exclaimed. 'Suresh
      was a good man. He sent his children to school and paid his taxes.

      'He was strangled by these magic seeds. They sell us the seeds, saying they
      will not need expensive pesticides but they do. We have to buy the same seeds
      from the same company every year. It is killing us. Please tell the world what
      is happening here.'

      Monsanto has admitted that soaring debt was a 'factor in this tragedy'. But
      pointing out that cotton production had doubled in the past seven years, a
      spokesman added that there are other reasons for the recent crisis, such as
      'untimely rain' or drought, and pointed out that suicides have always been part
      of rural Indian life.

      Officials also point to surveys saying the majority of Indian farmers want GM
      seeds - no doubt encouraged to do so by aggressive marketing tactics.

      During the course of my inquiries in Maharastra, I encountered three
      'independent' surveyors scouring villages for information about suicides. They
      insisted that GM seeds were only 50 per cent more expensive - and then later
      admitted the difference was 1,000 per cent.

      (A Monsanto spokesman later insisted their seed is 'only double' the price of
      'official' non-GM seed - but admitted that the difference can be vast if
      cheaper traditional seeds are sold by 'unscrupulous' merchants, who often also
      sell 'fake' GM seeds which are prone to disease.)

      With rumours of imminent government compensation to stem the wave of deaths,
      many farmers said they were desperate for any form of assistance. 'We just want
      to escape from our problems,' one said. 'We just want help to stop any more of
      us dying.'

      Prince Charles is so distressed by the plight of the suicide farmers that he is
      setting up a charity, the Bhumi Vardaan Foundation, to help those affected and
      promote organic Indian crops instead of GM.

      India's farmers are also starting to fight back. As well as taking GM seed
      distributors hostage and staging mass protests, one state government is taking
      legal action against Monsanto for the exorbitant costs of GM seeds.

      This came too late for Shankara Mandauker, who was 80,000 rupees (about £1,000)
      in debt when he took his own life. 'I told him that we can survive,' his widow
      said, her children still by her side as darkness fell. 'I told him we could
      find a way out. He just said it was better to die.'

      But the debt does not die with her husband: unless she can find a way of paying
      it off, she will not be able to afford the children's schooling. They will lose
      their land, joining the hordes seen begging in their thousands by the roadside
      throughout this vast, chaotic country.

      Cruelly, it's the young who are suffering most from the 'GM Genocide' - the
      very generation supposed to be lifted out of a life of hardship and misery by
      these 'magic seeds'.

      Here in the suicide belt of India, the cost of the genetically modified future
      is murderously high.

      Répondre à tous
      Transférer

      claude yuen à PLANETVEDA
      afficher le détail 06:44 (il y a 1 heure)

      Haribol!

      Subash Palekar has now the answer,with natural farmin or zero budget farming.Plse google it.
      Iskcon should help him to distribute his books about vedic agriculture.thanks
      Cidanandas

    • ai3131
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 9, 2008
        Mr. Fukuoka once asked why 0% growth is often viewed as something
        bad, despite teh stability such a figure would bring. He was very
        critical regarding the current economic systems, capitalist or
        otherwise.

        Here is an abridged version of "Money: Understanding and Creating
        Alternatives to Legal Tender", by Thomas H. Greco, Jr. :

        http://www.reinventingmoney.com/documents/MoneyEbook.pdf

        For more e-books like this go to:

        http://www.reinventingmoney.com

        - Arian I.

        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, cid ananda <cidanandas@...>
        wrote:

> [...]
        > their land, joining the hordes seen begging in their thousands by
        the roadside
        > throughout this vast, chaotic country.
        >
        > Cruelly, it's the young who are suffering most from the 'GM
        Genocide' - the
        > very generation supposed to be lifted out of a life of hardship
        and misery by
        > these 'magic seeds'.
        >
        > Here in the suicide belt of India, the cost of the genetically
        modified future
        > is murderously high.

        > Répondre à tous
        > Transférer
        >

        > claude yuen à PLANETVEDA
        > afficher le détail 06:44 (il y a 1 heure)
        >

        > Haribol!
        >
        > Subash Palekar has now the answer,with natural farmin or zero
        budget farming.Plse google it.
        > Iskcon should help him to distribute his books about vedic

      • cyara2408
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 11, 2008
          Hi Arian,
          Thank you for the link to REINVENTING MONEY....
          Excellent read.
          Much appreciated.
          Chelle