Re: The Man Who Planted Trees

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 16, 2008
      Trees keep it warmer in the bitter part of the winter.

      My nieghborhood is full of 120' tall 40 year old poplars (6' diam)
      (about 35m tall, 2 m dia)

      most of the rest of the town has trees that are slower growing and
      10-20 yo.

      the difference on a hot summer day was 3 degrees to a public park, and
      6-8 degress to a parking lot (ferenhite , 2.5, 3.5-5 C)
      and that's in a the sun .. via my car's electronic temp guage..
      its even cooler in the deep shade (85% of my yard)

      the winter is less extreme but temp differences are generally 2-3
      warmer and due to the low angle of the sun, and no leaves.. just
      about my whole house is in sun in winter...

      the only problem is my garden doesn't like the trees (they suck a lot
      of nutrients out, and water) and the shade

      I've been spreading seeds (silver maple, boxelder, green ash, and burr
      oak) on a recently 'engineered' river bank....
      they had 80% of their trees die....

      I'm just starting to see results of my seeds (not planted, just thrown
      about),... starting to take root...
      I don't think tree seeds can sprout in soils that's been pack 5' down
      by bulldozers and such..
      I think they needed the grasses and such to loosen the soil first....
      just a theory.....

      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Nicholas Pierotti"
      <eurydice@...> wrote:

      > Fictional but feasible.
      >
      > When Vizcaino sailed up the coast of California in the 15th century,
      the Santa Lucia mountains of the
      > Big Sur coastline were snowcapped. After they were logged and
      stripped of their trees to rebuild San
      > Francisco in 1906, they never had snow on them again.
      >
      > Trees cool the climate. And now they're logging Siberia, Canada, and
      the Amazon.

      > So though Giono's book is fiction, the environmental message is
      feasible and practical.

      > Nick
      >
      > On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 14:20:53 -0000, Royal A. Purdy wrote
      > > Folks,
      > >
      > > "The Man Who Planted Trees" is an excellent short story...of fiction
      > > writing. Sorry to disappoint you, but Elzéard Bouffier is a fictional
      > > person. The goal was to make trees likeable, or more specifically,
      > > make planting trees likeable.
      > >
      > > Soil Organic Matter - Humus is the medium - solution for Glaobal
      > > Warming, ..not Trees; although trees are excellent micro-climate
      > > manipulators.
      > >
      > > Be safe. Sincerely,
      > >
      > > Royal A. Purdy
      > > A. H. Tuttle and Company
      > > 1007 County Road 8
      > > Farmington, New York 14425
      > > www.ahtuttle.com
      > > rapurdy@...
      > > 315-986-7007
      > >
      > > Yeomans Keyline Plows
      > > Clear Choice (c) - Elysian (c)
      > >
      > > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Nicholas Pierotti"
      > > <eurydice@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > If you're looking for another visionary bit of genius in the same
      > > vein as "The One Straw Revolution",
      > > > you should put "The Man Who Planted Trees", by Jean Giono, on your
      > > must-read list.
      > > > It's a short book, so it wont take long to read, But it will change
      > > your life, and offers a visionary
      > > > solution to global warming.
      > > >
      > > > And if you don't want to buy the book, you can read it online at
      > > http://home.infomaniak.ch/arboretum/Man_Tree.htm
      > > >
      > > > But I carry my Shambhala Pocket Classic version with me wherever
      I go.