The Book "One Straw..."

  • dkscanoe
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 15, 2008
      I have just started reading the book along with The Good Life By Helen
      and Scott Nearing. I am enjoying the philosophical leaning of
      Fukuoka. I am not sure if it is implied or he has had me realize that
      We too the farther we get away from our own nature the more we become
      dependent on society's resources i.e.medicine, material things,
      technology, processed food.I had a heart attack earlier this year and
      the research shows that the closer you get to a vegetarian diet the
      healthier you'll be. The stress of a fast paced society brings in
      that need or desire for a quick fix so we can go on living our fast
      paced lives. Just ramblings, Just thoughts.

      D.K.Schmidt
      from The farmland of New York state
    • Nicholas Pierotti
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 15, 2008
        If you're looking for another visionary bit of genius in the same vein as "The One Straw Revolution",
        you should put "The Man Who Planted Trees", by Jean Giono, on your must-read list.
        It's a short book, so it wont take long to read, But it will change your life, and offers a visionary
        solution to global warming.

        And if you don't want to buy the book, you can read it online at http://home.infomaniak.ch/arboretum/Man_Tree.htm

        But I carry my Shambhala Pocket Classic version with me wherever I go.

        Happy reading and Peace!

        Nick

        On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 15:12:44 -0000, dkscanoe wrote
        > I have just started reading the book along with The Good Life By Helen
        > and Scott Nearing. I am enjoying the philosophical leaning of
        > Fukuoka. I am not sure if it is implied or he has had me realize that
        > We too the farther we get away from our own nature the more we become
        > dependent on society's resources i.e.medicine, material things,
        > technology, processed food.I had a heart attack earlier this year and
        > the research shows that the closer you get to a vegetarian diet the
        > healthier you'll be. The stress of a fast paced society brings in
        > that need or desire for a quick fix so we can go on living our fast
        > paced lives. Just ramblings, Just thoughts.
        >
        > D.K.Schmidt
        > from The farmland of New York state
      • Royal A. Purdy
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 16, 2008
          Folks,

          "The Man Who Planted Trees" is an excellent short story...of fiction
          writing. Sorry to disappoint you, but Elzéard Bouffier is a fictional
          person. The goal was to make trees likeable, or more specifically,
          make planting trees likeable.

          Soil Organic Matter - Humus is the medium - solution for Glaobal
          Warming, ..not Trees; although trees are excellent micro-climate
          manipulators.

          Be safe. Sincerely,

          Royal A. Purdy
          A. H. Tuttle and Company
          1007 County Road 8
          Farmington, New York 14425
          www.ahtuttle.com
          rapurdy@...
          315-986-7007

          Yeomans Keyline Plows
          Clear Choice (c) - Elysian (c)

          --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Nicholas Pierotti"
          <eurydice@...> wrote:

          > If you're looking for another visionary bit of genius in the same
          vein as "The One Straw Revolution",
          > you should put "The Man Who Planted Trees", by Jean Giono, on your
          must-read list.
          > It's a short book, so it wont take long to read, But it will change
          your life, and offers a visionary
          > solution to global warming.
          >
          > And if you don't want to buy the book, you can read it online at
          http://home.infomaniak.ch/arboretum/Man_Tree.htm

          > But I carry my Shambhala Pocket Classic version with me wherever I go.
          >
          > Happy reading and Peace!

        • asteresplanetai
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 16, 2008
            +++

            > Posted by: "Nicholas Pierotti" eurydice@...
            > nicholas.pierotti

            > If you're looking for another visionary bit of genius in the same
            > vein as "The One Straw Revolution",
            > you should put "The Man Who Planted Trees", by Jean Giono, on your
            > must-read list.
            > It's a short book, so it wont take long to read, But it will change
            > your life, and offers a visionary
            > solution to global warming.
            >
            > And if you don't want to buy the book, you can read it online at http://home.infomaniak.ch/arboretum/Man_Tree.htm
            >
            > But I carry my Shambhala Pocket Classic version with me wherever I go.

            There's also a video (animation) of The Man Who Planted Trees out
            there. Very nice!

            regards,

            john burnett.
          • Nicholas Pierotti
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 16, 2008
              Fictional but feasible.

              When Vizcaino sailed up the coast of California in the 15th century, the Santa Lucia mountains of the
              Big Sur coastline were snowcapped. After they were logged and stripped of their trees to rebuild San
              Francisco in 1906, they never had snow on them again.

              Trees cool the climate. And now they're logging Siberia, Canada, and the Amazon.

              So though Giono's book is fiction, the environmental message is feasible and practical.

              Nick

              On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 14:20:53 -0000, Royal A. Purdy wrote
              > Folks,
              >
              > "The Man Who Planted Trees" is an excellent short story...of fiction
              > writing. Sorry to disappoint you, but Elzéard Bouffier is a fictional
              > person. The goal was to make trees likeable, or more specifically,
              > make planting trees likeable.
              >
              > Soil Organic Matter - Humus is the medium - solution for Glaobal
              > Warming, ..not Trees; although trees are excellent micro-climate
              > manipulators.
              >
              > Be safe. Sincerely,
              >
              > Royal A. Purdy
              > A. H. Tuttle and Company
              > 1007 County Road 8
              > Farmington, New York 14425
              > www.ahtuttle.com
              > rapurdy@...
              > 315-986-7007
              >
              > Yeomans Keyline Plows
              > Clear Choice (c) - Elysian (c)
              >
              > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Nicholas Pierotti"
              > <eurydice@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > If you're looking for another visionary bit of genius in the same
              > vein as "The One Straw Revolution",
              > > you should put "The Man Who Planted Trees", by Jean Giono, on your
              > must-read list.
              > > It's a short book, so it wont take long to read, But it will change
              > your life, and offers a visionary
              > > solution to global warming.
              > >
              > > And if you don't want to buy the book, you can read it online at
              > http://home.infomaniak.ch/arboretum/Man_Tree.htm
              > >
              > > But I carry my Shambhala Pocket Classic version with me wherever I go.
              > >
              > > Happy reading and Peace!

            • Stan Helton
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 16, 2008
                Thanks... do you enjoy telling little children there is no Santa Claus too!  :-)

                rapurdy@ahtuttle. com

                <eurydice@.. .> wrote:

                > If you're looking for another visionary bit of genius in the same
                vein as "The One Straw Revolution",
                > you should put "The Man Who Planted Trees", by Jean Giono, on your
                must-read list.
                > It's a short book, so it wont take long to read, But it will change
                your life, and offers a visionary
                > solution to global warming.
                >
                > And if you don't want to buy the book, you can read it online at
                http://home. infomaniak. ch/arboretum/ Man_Tree. htm

                > But I carry my Shambhala Pocket Classic version with me wherever I go.
                >
                > Happy reading and Peace!

              • Jeff
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 16, 2008
                  Trees keep it warmer in the bitter part of the winter.

                  My nieghborhood is full of 120' tall 40 year old poplars (6' diam)
                  (about 35m tall, 2 m dia)

                  most of the rest of the town has trees that are slower growing and
                  10-20 yo.

                  the difference on a hot summer day was 3 degrees to a public park, and
                  6-8 degress to a parking lot (ferenhite , 2.5, 3.5-5 C)
                  and that's in a the sun .. via my car's electronic temp guage..
                  its even cooler in the deep shade (85% of my yard)

                  the winter is less extreme but temp differences are generally 2-3
                  warmer and due to the low angle of the sun, and no leaves.. just
                  about my whole house is in sun in winter...

                  the only problem is my garden doesn't like the trees (they suck a lot
                  of nutrients out, and water) and the shade

                  I've been spreading seeds (silver maple, boxelder, green ash, and burr
                  oak) on a recently 'engineered' river bank....
                  they had 80% of their trees die....

                  I'm just starting to see results of my seeds (not planted, just thrown
                  about),... starting to take root...
                  I don't think tree seeds can sprout in soils that's been pack 5' down
                  by bulldozers and such..
                  I think they needed the grasses and such to loosen the soil first....
                  just a theory.....