Re:OT: My list of Yahoo Groups -ICK

  • Sara Mandal-Joy
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 14, 2008
      In case you don't know, grouply is a nasty nasty thing. They take in
      too much information when you sign up, including your - PASSWORD. They
      use this to access all your addresses, and all addresses of anyone on
      groups you belong to. They archive all posts not just that you write,
      but all posts from all your groups, no matter who wrote them. They
      harvest addresses and use them not only to spread grouply, sending out
      invitations from your address, often without your permission or
      knowledge. They also send other spam to all these addresses. This is a
      pernicious thing. I am removing myself from any list/group that allows its
      members to belong to grouply. Many groups - most that I participate on
      - are simply unsubbing anyone
      who signs up to grouply. I would encourage this policy here. If it is
      not done here, I'll need to unsub myself. I don't want my address being
      harvested by grouply. If you doubt what I'm saying, just do a
      websearch on grouply and you'll get the scoop on this nasty stuff - its
      all there in the fineprint when you sign up, but who actually reads all
      the fineprint? Anyways, hoping grouply members will unsub from grouply,
      and that this list will adopt a no-grouply members policy. Thanks, Sara
    • Ben Kobus
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 14, 2008
        I wish to add my strong objection to having anything to do with Grouply, and to advise members to stay well clear of it.

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 14, 2008
          Thanks Sara, Ben for the warning.

          > Many groups - most that I participate on
          >- are simply unsubbing anyone
          >who signs up to grouply. I would encourage this policy here. If it is
          >not done here, I'll need to unsub myself. I don't want my address being
          >harvested by grouply.

          This would be up to the group owner.  But how do we know who signed up
          to grouply?

          Dieter

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 14, 2008
            I Agree. These things do not belong on this list. It is a type of
            advertisement. This list should be about one thing only - Natural
            farming. I've already been contacted off-list by these folks. Whoever
            is moderating this list needs to make a clear statement that this sort
            of thing doesn't belong.

            -Hank

            Ben Kobus wrote:

            > I wish to add my strong objection to having anything to do with
            > Grouply, and to advise members to stay well clear of it.
            >
            > --- On Tue, 10/14/08, Sara Mandal-Joy <smjlist@...
            > <mailto:smjlist%40wavewls.com>> wrote:
            > From: Sara Mandal-Joy <smjlist@... <mailto:smjlist%40wavewls.com>>
            > Subject: [fukuoka_farming] Re:OT: My list of Yahoo Groups -ICK
            > To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
            > <mailto:fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com>
            > Date: Tuesday, October 14, 2008, 3:44 PM
            >
            > In case you don't know, grouply is a nasty nasty thing. They take in
            >
            > too much information when you sign up, including your - PASSWORD. They
            >
            > use this to access all your addresses, and all addresses of anyone on
            >
            > groups you belong to. They archive all posts not just that you write,
            >
            > but all posts from all your groups, no matter who wrote them. They
            >
            > harvest addresses and use them not only to spread grouply, sending out
            >
            > invitations from your address, often without your permission or
            >
            > knowledge. They also send other spam to all these addresses. This is a
            >
            > pernicious thing. I am removing myself from any list/group that allows its
            >
            > members to belong to grouply. Many groups - most that I participate on
            >
            > - are simply unsubbing anyone
            >
            > who signs up to grouply. I would encourage this policy here. If it is
            >
            > not done here, I'll need to unsub myself. I don't want my address being
            >
            > harvested by grouply. If you doubt what I'm saying, just do a
            >
            > websearch on grouply and you'll get the scoop on this nasty stuff - its
            >
            > all there in the fineprint when you sign up, but who actually reads all
            >
            > the fineprint? Anyways, hoping grouply members will unsub from grouply,
            >
            > and that this list will adopt a no-grouply members policy. Thanks, Sara

          • Stephen Canner
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 14, 2008
              This is exactly the problem. The only way to know for sure is to search the members list for "@..." e-mail addresses. There is only one member currently subscribed to this group with such an address. It's my understanding though that all Grouply members do not necessarily show up that way.

              I've read through much that's been written online about Grouply and hesitate to ban or unsub people from the list because of innocently joining such a site. Also, it seems to me that if Grouply is data mining in the ways indicated that Yahoo would very easily have a basis for a lawsuit and at the very least should be introducing better security measures to prevent this. Much of the rhetoric online about this seems to be a bit panicked in my opinion. There are many much simpler ways that your info shows up in spammers' address books every day, and this is a public forum so anything posted here can show up other places by other means than Grouply as well. Unfortunately this is part of the reality of the internet.

              So in short, I'm not going to police this list to the extent to keep Grouply members out unless I see it becoming a real (visible and documentable) problem. I already police it pretty well, I think (ever wonder why there's pretty much ZERO spam on this list? :)

              Anyway, that's my take on it,

              Stephen Lee Canner
              The list owner

              > > Many groups - most that I participate on
              > >- are simply unsubbing anyone
              > >who signs up to grouply. I would encourage this policy
              > here. If it is
              > >not done here, I'll need to unsub myself. I
              > don't want my address being
              > >harvested by grouply.
              >
              > This would be up to the group owner.  But how do we know
              > who signed up
              > to grouply?
              >
              > Dieter
              >
              > --- On Tue, 10/14/08, Ben Kobus
              > <angemalaika@...> wrote:
              >
              > From: Ben Kobus <angemalaika@...>
              > Subject: Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re:OT: My list of Yahoo
              > Groups -ICK
              > To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
              > Date: Tuesday, October 14, 2008, 5:30 PM
              >

              > I wish to add my strong objection to having anything to do
              > with Grouply, and to advise members to stay well clear of
              > it.
              >
              > --- On Tue, 10/14/08, Sara Mandal-Joy <smjlist@wavewls.
              > com> wrote:
              > From: Sara Mandal-Joy <smjlist@wavewls. com>
              > Subject: [fukuoka_farming] Re:OT: My list of Yahoo Groups
              > -ICK
              > To: fukuoka_farming@ yahoogroups. com
              > Date: Tuesday, October 14, 2008, 3:44 PM
              >
              > In case you don't know, grouply is a nasty nasty thing.
              > They take in
              >
              > too much information when you sign up, including your -
              > PASSWORD. They
              >
              > use this to access all your addresses, and all addresses of
              > anyone on
              >
              > groups you belong to. They archive all posts not just that
              > you write,
              >
              > but all posts from all your groups, no matter who wrote
              > them. They
              >
              > harvest addresses and use them not only to spread grouply,
              > sending out
              >
              > invitations from your address, often without your
              > permission or
              >
              > knowledge. They also send other spam to all these
              > addresses. This is a
              >
              > pernicious thing. I am removing myself from any list/group
              > that allows its
              >
              > members to belong to grouply. Many groups - most that I
              > participate on
              >
              > - are simply unsubbing anyone
              >
              > who signs up to grouply. I would encourage this policy
              > here. If it is
              >
              > not done here, I'll need to unsub myself. I don't
              > want my address being
              >
              > harvested by grouply. If you doubt what I'm saying,
              > just do a
              >
              > websearch on grouply and you'll get the scoop on this
              > nasty stuff - its
              >
              > all there in the fineprint when you sign up, but who
              > actually reads all
              >
              > the fineprint? Anyways, hoping grouply members will unsub
              > from grouply,
              >
              > and that this list will adopt a no-grouply members policy.
              > Thanks, Sara

            • robin
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 16, 2008
                oh no! in a moment of utter stupidity, i signed up to grouply just a
                few minutes ago. they got me, which doesn't usually happen. then, as
                soon as i read the next post, i realized i'd been had...

                i immediately unsubscribed, but now they have my password. should i
                change my yahoo password? i'm so sorry, i hope you won't put me
                out.************robin--- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Stephen