Re: Against Animals/dogs

  • dkscanoe
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 14, 2008
      Look to Golden Retrievers they are very gentle dogs but same thing
      they will ward off other animals are a large breed but such gentle
      souls. You can pay an arm and a leg for a purebred but you can also
      find some crossbred ones that retain all the favorable characteristics.
      They are a true companion dog.

      Doug Schmidt
      Upstate New York
      United States

      > In the beginning everybody told us that we need dogs in a place like
      this, but being more of a cat person myself I never liked dogs very
      much, in fact they scarred me.  It was only after we got burgled the
      5th time that I finally gave in and we decided to get a dog.  Not
      being familiar with dogs we decided not to take any chances and get a
      pure bred German Sheppard with a pedigree.  We never regretted it.
      She is big and has a deep voice that makes her sound twice as big
      again.  Anyone who doesn't know her will stay away at a save
      distance.  In fact, she has such a gentle soul that she couldn't hurt
      anyone.  She is also very playful and more compassionate than most
      humans I know.  Her only weakness is that she likes to lick visitors
      all over the face.  In the beginning, I tried to make her give it up
      but this seems to be in the genes and a particularity of this breed.

      > We are really lucky to have her.  She will hear or smell anybody and
      anything in a mile radius even when she is asleep.  Her barking will
      keep away unwelcome visitors and wild animals alike.  And with her
      gentle nature we can let her roam freely without fearing that she
      would attack anybody.  We really need to get another dog because dogs
      are best in a group.  But dogs can have very different characters and
      it's important to get one that will fit in.  If you do get a dog,
      insist to see how the parents are, that's the best way to judge.

    • yarrow@sfo.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 14, 2008
        Every year seems to be a little bit different, and in my garden most
        predation occurs in early spring and fall, when foods are less
        abundant in the wild.

        I had read about planting sunflowers to keep the squirrels away from
        the tomatoes, so several years ago I tried it and it didn't work --
        they stayed away from the sunflowers and ate tomatoes. But I noticed
        they ate mostly the very fragrant larger open-pollinated tomatoes,
        especially the pink and purple/black ones, so I started growing more
        cherry tomatoes, as well as different colors (orange, yellow).

        But this year, the squirrels have been eating every flower from one
        sunflower plant that volunteered. They left the tomatoes alone until
        yesterday, when I found my last large orange/yellow tomato partly
        eaten!

        Tanya in California

        At 9:30 AM +0530 10/14/08, <shashi.pkumar@...> wrote:
        Yuho San,

        One more option you could explore is to grow a trap crop - a crop
        wallabies and possums like most. While wallabies and possums
        concentrate on the trap crop, you vegetables will be spared...

        I saved most of my paddy (grown in 20 cents area) from bird attacks
        by growing sunflowers in a small areas (around 2 cents area...).
        Still there were bird attacks to paddy but I believe was able to
        divert their attention...

      • Shawn Turner
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 15, 2008
          I had problems with squirrels once. I ate them!! Just kidding. I sprayed hot pepper Spray on them. Then I took them over to where to squirrels where coming into eat them. I watched as the squirrels came down to grab the tomato and take a bit. They immediately drop the tomato and ran off. The next day I did the same thing for 3 days. I have never had a problem sense and we have tons of squirrels.

          I have also heard if you plant hot peppers next to your tomato's animals will leave them alone.