RE: [fukuoka_farming] Against Animals

  • shashi.pkumar@wipro.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 13, 2008
      Yuho San,

      One more option you could explore is to grow a trap crop - a crop wallabies and possums like most. While wallabies and possums concentrate on the trap crop, you vegetables will be spared...

      I saved most of my paddy (grown in 20 cents area) from bird attacks by growing sunflowers in a small areas (around 2 cents area...). Still there were bird attacks to paddy but I believe was able to divert their attention...

      Shashi

      From: Yuho Sato <yuhosato@...>
      Subject: [fukuoka_farming] Against Animals
      To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Saturday, September 27, 2008, 12:29 AM

      Dear all,

      I have started seed-balling with Natural Farming in Tasmania in Australia, though I'm Japanese...

      In Tasmania there are many wallabies and possums who eats the vegetables, and possums even could climb the fence!
      So I'm wondering how I could stop them to eat vegetables in Natural way...
      (or how to make a harmony with them)

      I think Mr.Fukuoka uses Japenese Bead Tree(Melia Azedarach) or Akebia that amimals doesn't like the smell.
      Now I'm trying to grow the tree, but it takes a few years to grow it...
      So I'm wondering if there is another way or another herbs.

      I heard Peppermint works well against wild boars or rats, then I wanna try it here, too.
      If someone knows about something against animals, could you please let me know?

      Thank you very much, and...
      Best Regards to Mr.Fukuoka and his followers...
      Yuho

    • dkscanoe
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 14, 2008
        Look to Golden Retrievers they are very gentle dogs but same thing
        they will ward off other animals are a large breed but such gentle
        souls. You can pay an arm and a leg for a purebred but you can also
        find some crossbred ones that retain all the favorable characteristics.
        They are a true companion dog.

        Doug Schmidt
        Upstate New York
        United States

      • yarrow@sfo.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 14, 2008
          Every year seems to be a little bit different, and in my garden most
          predation occurs in early spring and fall, when foods are less
          abundant in the wild.

          I had read about planting sunflowers to keep the squirrels away from
          the tomatoes, so several years ago I tried it and it didn't work --
          they stayed away from the sunflowers and ate tomatoes. But I noticed
          they ate mostly the very fragrant larger open-pollinated tomatoes,
          especially the pink and purple/black ones, so I started growing more
          cherry tomatoes, as well as different colors (orange, yellow).

          But this year, the squirrels have been eating every flower from one
          sunflower plant that volunteered. They left the tomatoes alone until
          yesterday, when I found my last large orange/yellow tomato partly
          eaten!

          Tanya in California

          At 9:30 AM +0530 10/14/08, <shashi.pkumar@...> wrote:
          Yuho San,

          One more option you could explore is to grow a trap crop - a crop
          wallabies and possums like most. While wallabies and possums
          concentrate on the trap crop, you vegetables will be spared...

          I saved most of my paddy (grown in 20 cents area) from bird attacks
          by growing sunflowers in a small areas (around 2 cents area...).
          Still there were bird attacks to paddy but I believe was able to
          divert their attention...

        • Shawn Turner
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 15, 2008
            I had problems with squirrels once. I ate them!! Just kidding. I sprayed hot pepper Spray on them. Then I took them over to where to squirrels where coming into eat them. I watched as the squirrels came down to grab the tomato and take a bit. They immediately drop the tomato and ran off. The next day I did the same thing for 3 days. I have never had a problem sense and we have tons of squirrels.

            I have also heard if you plant hot peppers next to your tomato's animals will leave them alone.