Re: [fukuoka_farming] Reduction of Hebicide and Inorganic fertilizer in No-Till conservative farming.

  • Nandan Palaparambil
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 14, 2008
      Dear Raju,

      Regarding reasons for farmers committing suicide in India.. As you mentioned one reason for loosing land fertility is tilling and not using mulching techniques.

      But there are many other reasons...

      Lot of farmers depends just on cash crops like coconut, arecanut, cotton, rubber etc. and does only mono-crops. Some time their prices crashes or they are severely damaged by pests and in this case they don't have anything to eat also. There are reports that some farmers with 3-5 acres does not have anything to eat rather they buy everything from market.

      Agricultural products does not fetch enough money and lot of it is taken by the middle men. Unless there is a system that allows farmers to get the maximum profit, it is difficult for the farmer to survive.

      Also in lots of cases, farmers take loans and spend the money in other things. In some cases for e.g it is spent for their daughters marriages, or buying some house hold items. In India, marriages cost a lot and unless there is enough savings with the farmers, which is very unlikely they take huge loans and won't be able to repay that.

      Regards,
      Nandan

      --- On Tue, 10/7/08, Raju Titus <rajuktitus@...> wrote:

      Dear friends,

      We are facing Global warming ,climate change and CO2 emission

      problem.Fukuoka educated us that this problem is directly related

      with tilling of land for growing crops.If we do not till we can solve

      this problem.Mr Mark Watson who is doing No-Till farming in his 3500

      acers of land is not only saving CO2 emission but also improving water

      in soil. I agree that this is not a Fukuoka Farming .

      He is using fossil fuel and chemicals but in decreasing manner.In my

      area still farmers are burning straws and deeply tilling and are going

      in loss they are taking loans and not in the position of giving back

      by this they are committing suicide. This is very serious problem.In

      India if farmers realize this fact and will stop tilling they can

      easily come back to Indian traditional way of farming which was

      sustainable. The philosaphy of Cow is still alive in India.