Reduction of Hebicide and Inorganic fertilizer in No-Till conservative farming.

  • Raju Titus
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 7, 2008
      Dear friends,
      We are facing Global warming ,climate change and CO2 emission
      problem.Fukuoka educated us that this problem is directly related
      with tilling of land for growing crops.If we do not till we can solve
      this problem.Mr Mark Watson who is doing No-Till farming in his 3500
      acers of land is not only saving CO2 emission but also improving water
      in soil. I agree that this is not a Fukuoka Farming .
      He is using fossil fuel and chemicals but in decreasing manner.In my
      area still farmers are burning straws and deeply tilling and are going
      in loss they are taking loans and not in the position of giving back
      by this they are committing suicide. This is very serious problem.In
      India if farmers realize this fact and will stop tilling they can
      easily come back to Indian traditional way of farming which was
      sustainable. The philosaphy of Cow is still alive in India.
      Please share reply of Mark-Raju Titus

      Raju,

      Our herbicide use has declined over the years since we adopted no
      till, but we do use herbicides on our fields a couple of times a year.
      Our fertility has improved as our organic matter has increased,
      resulting in less commercial fertilizer. We are also growing legume
      cover crops to produce nitrogen during fallow periods between crops.
      We also produce legumes such as field peas and edible beans in our
      cropping rotations to produce additional nitrogen. We operate a
      relatively large farm, 3500 acres, of which about 2000 acres are
      dryland and the balance is center pivot irrigated. We do use
      herbicides amd chemical fertilizer to enhance our crop production.

      mark
    • Nandan Palaparambil
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 14, 2008
        Dear Raju,

        Regarding reasons for farmers committing suicide in India.. As you mentioned one reason for loosing land fertility is tilling and not using mulching techniques.

        But there are many other reasons...

        Lot of farmers depends just on cash crops like coconut, arecanut, cotton, rubber etc. and does only mono-crops. Some time their prices crashes or they are severely damaged by pests and in this case they don't have anything to eat also. There are reports that some farmers with 3-5 acres does not have anything to eat rather they buy everything from market.

        Agricultural products does not fetch enough money and lot of it is taken by the middle men. Unless there is a system that allows farmers to get the maximum profit, it is difficult for the farmer to survive.

        Also in lots of cases, farmers take loans and spend the money in other things. In some cases for e.g it is spent for their daughters marriages, or buying some house hold items. In India, marriages cost a lot and unless there is enough savings with the farmers, which is very unlikely they take huge loans and won't be able to repay that.

        Regards,
        Nandan