Fukuoka Farms needing help?

  • Pat D
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 5, 2008
      Are there any Fukuoka farms that need a helping hand?  or would even let me camp on their land and study their methods?  I want to see this fukuoka stuff firsthand.  Thanks.

    • La Clarine Farm
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 5, 2008
        Hi John, thanks for the excellent post and clear explanations. Your
        website is also one of the best out there as an information source. I'd
        encourage everyone to check it out. There is much to ponder there, and
        much to inspire. I especially like the idea expressed about closed vs
        open systems. While a closed system sounds good philosophically (ie the
        "farm organism"), it misses the point that every organism HAS to
        interact with other organisms. Without that ability to interact, the
        closed system can become "cancerous", feeding on itself until there's
        nothing left of it. Perhaps this is why biodynamics has had such a
        difficult time working for a lot of people.

        I've been working toward your goal on my small farm. Our exception is
        our compost - we have a herd of dairy goats, and all their manure and
        stable bedding gets composted at our place. Some of it is used for our
        vineyard and garden. Some goes to the neighbors for their own use. It
        IS a lot of work, and I'd love to find another alternative, but right
        now composting it is the best solution.
        Once again, thanks for sharing you insights!

        Best,

        Hank

        John Warner wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > A key to making this work is following Fukuoka's rejection of making
        > compost. I regard compost making as the greatest waste of time ever
        > invented in the practice of horticulture. First you have to haul crop
        > wastes out of the garden and throw them in a pile then try to turn
        > that stringy trash with a shovel or fork and then haul them back
        > again. Haha, haha, what tooth gritting folly! We leave wide alleyways
        > between the beds where we throw crop residues and what weeds that may
        > work their way up through the mulch to be crushed and trampled under
        > foot after being dried by the summer sun. This also works well in our
        > cool, moist winters too which favor decomposition of foot compacted
        > plant material. Many [it would be laughable if it were not so sad]
        > suffer through all this labor under the illusion that they are making
        > "fertilizer" in their compost piles. Lesson number one in the most
        > elementary chemistry class is that [fertilizer] "elements cannot be
        > created or destroyed" They can only be recombined with other elements
        > to make compounds [or moved from place to place].
        >
        > If one wishes to have a sustainably productive garden, one must make
        > use of out of garden, or at least out of bed, inputs. "Cut and carry"
        > is a term used in African hand-scale livestock production whereby the
        > husbandperson goes out into the greater countryside, or perhaps into
        > the commons, and carries back fodder for her penned up animals. This
        > practice can be more profitably applied to what Bob Monie calls "vegan
        > agriculture" [or something on that order] and used for feeding food
        > plants instead of animals because, through the process of
        > photosynthesis, the energy in the mulch materials is returned to the
        > plant foods produced in the garden. When fed to livestock, most of
        > that energy is lost to entropy and the forager will need to gather
        > many times more to sustain his caloric requirement. As a general rule,
        > I figure that a cartful of mulch hauled into the garden will, over
        > time, produce a similar cartful that can be hauled out but there will
        > be a little loss to leakage into the atmosphere and deeper soil.
        >
        > For information in scythes visit http://www.scytheconnection.com.
        > <http://www.scytheconnection.com.> I bought a scythe from them and can
        > highly recommend their product and service. For our taller, more
        > deeply rooted crops, we first clear beds with a scythe, then cut roots
        > just below the surface with a round point shovel and toss stumps into
        > the alleyways before remulching.
        >
        > For more information on our Whole Systems model and method, visit
        > http://www.WholeSystemsAg.org. <http://www.WholeSystemsAg.org.>
        > Nothing to sell here.
        >
        > More information on "cut and carry" can be found with an in quotes
        > search but you will need to weed out nonagricultural uses of the term.
        >
        > Good wishes all,
        >
        > John Warner, near Fresno, California
        > Hand-scale, no-tillage market grower since 1996

      • Raju Titus
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 5, 2008
          Dear Dieter,
          Than how seeds germinate without tilling in nature ?
          Raju