Greywater Greenhouse

  • Zack Domike
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 5, 2002
      :>REX wrote:
      > 1. Do you have any experience with reedbed
      > technology? I'm
      > > devouring everything I can at the moment with a
      > view to establishing
      > > a "sewage garden".

      I am building a greenhouse that will be irrigated with
      water from sinks, showers, laundry and bidet in a
      residence. (The toilet is a pair of composting
      molding compartments.)

      I have studied the installations of David Del Porto,
      in the Boston area. There is precious little
      information on the internet. The engineering is kind
      of basic, in that you try to keep the water moving
      very slowly.

      A critical item is that the plastic clothing lint, oil
      and detergent (as opposed to soap) ingredients be
      minimized. Any other Red Flags?
      Zack

      http://health.yahoo.com
    • Rex Teague
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 6, 2002
        On 5 Aug 02, Zack Domike wrote:

        > I have studied the installations of David Del Porto, in the Boston
        > area. There is precious little information on the internet. The
        > engineering is kind of basic, in that you try to keep the water
        > moving very slowly.

        I'm not familiar with Del Porto's work. Wolverton is another, have
        you read his latest book... I'm trying to track down a copy here?
        http://www.wolvertonenvironmental.com

        > A critical item is that the plastic clothing lint, oil and
        > detergent (as opposed to soap) ingredients be minimized. Any
        > other Red Flags?

        Current thoughts are a carousel worm pit toilet, the blackwater to be
        combined with the household greywater which will be treated through
        a reedbed(s) then onto a bioremediation (osier willow) bed.

        Points of uncertainty that I'm steadily researching are:
        1. The pros and cons of horizontal versus vertical reedbeds.
        2. Whether the greywater grease will glug up the reedbed.
        3. Specifications for a self build exercise.

        As you note Internet information is scanty, mainly tantalising details
        by people selling their services. A few sites that may help sort the
        "Red Flags":
        http://www.elementalsolutions.co.uk
        http://www.weblife.org/humanure
        http://www.earthlife.org.za/ghouse/index.htm
        http://www.compostingtoilet.org

        Cheerio... Rex
      • J. P.
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 6, 2002
          > A critical item is that the plastic clothing lint, oil and
          > detergent (as opposed to soap) ingredients be minimized. Any
          > other Red Flags?

          this may be a basic question from a greywater beginner, but how do you tell
          what is detergent and what is soap? I'm thinking of laundry and shower
          here, nothing blacker than that. do you have to make your own soap or are
          there brands that are greywater acceptable? I have never found a listing,
          either of acceptable/unacceptable ingredients, nor of brand names.

          Joanne
          Los Angeles
        • souscayrous
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 6, 2002
            Hello Rex,
            I'm also in the process of researching reedbeds (amongst other things) and
            would mention Art Ludwig's website http://www.oasisdesign.net/index.htm for
            much excellent information on greywater and its use.
            Have you heard of Tom Watson's 'Watson Wick' system? It is simply a gravel
            filled trench (sand is also possible) through which the greywater and
            blackwater passes, feeding the trees you plant upon this medium - which I
            think from your post is your ultimate intention. I've seen a 'Watson Wick'
            working and it seemed to be coping with the small domestic flows it was
            designed for, certainly the trees were flourishing.
            Have you tried web searches using 'constructed wetland' (well, you might not
            of thought of it! - though considering your usual thoroughness when it comes
            to web links I doubt it).
            There have also been email threads on the pc list about reed beds, you might
            want to search their archives (I remember Robyn Francis has a couple at her
            place).

            Good Luck and let me know if you happen upon a particularly fruitful source
            of information.

            Souscayrous

            > I have studied the installations of David Del Porto, in the Boston
            > area. There is precious little information on the internet. The
            > engineering is kind of basic, in that you try to keep the water
            > moving very slowly.

            I'm not familiar with Del Porto's work. Wolverton is another, have
            you read his latest book... I'm trying to track down a copy here?
            http://www.wolvertonenvironmental.com

            > A critical item is that the plastic clothing lint, oil and
            > detergent (as opposed to soap) ingredients be minimized. Any
            > other Red Flags?

            Current thoughts are a carousel worm pit toilet, the blackwater to be
            combined with the household greywater which will be treated through
            a reedbed(s) then onto a bioremediation (osier willow) bed.

            Points of uncertainty that I'm steadily researching are:
            1. The pros and cons of horizontal versus vertical reedbeds.
            2. Whether the greywater grease will glug up the reedbed.
            3. Specifications for a self build exercise.

            As you note Internet information is scanty, mainly tantalising details
            by people selling their services. A few sites that may help sort the
            "Red Flags":
            http://www.elementalsolutions.co.uk
            http://www.weblife.org/humanure
            http://www.earthlife.org.za/ghouse/index.htm
            http://www.compostingtoilet.org

            Cheerio... Rex

          • Xavier Dequaire
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 7, 2002
              To understand detergents you might want to read this about legislation:
              http://europa.eu.int/comm/enterprise/chemicals/detergents/publicconsult/contrib/collectif.pdf
              (English version at page 8)
              and what the commision came with
              http://europa.eu.int/comm/environment/ecolabel/pdf/laundry_detergents/draftcriteria_250202.pdf

              Hand Dishwashing Detergents
              http://www.enviro-choice.org.nz/Criteria/EC-01-98%20Hand%20Dishwashing%20Detergents.pdf

              To make your own soap search "make soap" or look at
              http://www.itdg.org/html/technical_enquiries/docs/soapmaking.pdf

              I was recommanded the reading of "Purity and Danger: An Analysis of the Concepts of Pollution and Taboo" by Mary Douglas, 1966

              I my self use an artificial wetland for Grey water treatment- It seems to work well.
              I need to build a dam as recipient.

              This is quite straighforward to build and easy to calculate: 2-5 m2 per inhabitant
              Surface is combined wetland and dam.
              I use a plastic linen to keep impermeable (because of municipal authorities)
              Alternativelly tramped clay or a mixture of cow dung and freshly cut grass are said to work fine

              Wetland provide anaerobic treatment, dam aerobic
              Have a filter upfront to catch solid matters and grease,
              FIlter: I use wood chips in a jute bag that I change and compost regularly.
              It can be nice to have a water flow to allow extra oxygenization.

              We just use so called 90% biologically degradable (OECD def) washing products, though I am not sure it is the best.

              For toilet I use a composting toilet, with partly separating urine for fertilizing (20% dillution in water)
              (For men just peeing is direct on recipient (tres/bushes)
              I am the only one to do a selective choice of recipients- male guests go to a corner of the garden.

              "Les forces d'amours sont humaines, les forces de destructions sont technologiques" Jacques Salom�

              06.08.2002 18:27:13, "souscayrous" <souscayrous@...> a �crit:

              > �: <fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com>
              >
              > De: "souscayrous" <souscayrous@...>
              > Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 18:27:13 +0200
              > Sujet:RE: [fukuoka_farming] Greywater Greenhouse
              >

              > Hello Rex,
              > I'm also in the process of researching reedbeds (amongst other
              > things) and
              > would mention Art Ludwig's website http://www.oasisdesign.net/index.htm for
              > much excellent information on greywater and its use.
              > Have you heard of Tom Watson's 'Watson Wick' system? It is simply a gravel
              > filled trench (sand is also possible) through which the greywater and
              > blackwater passes, feeding the trees you plant upon this medium - which I
              > think from your post is your ultimate intention. I've seen a 'Watson Wick'
              > working and it seemed to be coping with the small domestic flows it was
              > designed for, certainly the trees were flourishing.
              > Have you tried web searches using 'constructed wetland' (well, you might not
              > of thought of it! - though considering your usual thoroughness when it comes
              > to web links I doubt it).
              > There have also been email threads on the pc list about reed beds, you might
              > want to search their archives (I remember Robyn Francis has a couple at her
              > place).
              >

              > Good Luck and let me know if you happen upon a particularly fruitful source
              > of information.
              >
              > Souscayrous

              For bedre kommunikasjon og l�ring:
              For en b�rekraftig utvikling
              XDi, X a v i e r D E Q U A I R E i n t e r a k t i v
              phone: (+47) 66 84 79 83
              CBT/Multimedia---anvendt e-learning-
              MAC og PC-forhandler
              Forhandler av en glimrende urtedrikk
              http://www.futurich.com

              "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"

              In case you were in doubt about Monsanto's motives for producing GE crops:
              A Monsanto official told the New York Times, October 25, 1998, that
              the corporation should not have to take responsibility for the safety of its food products.
              "Monsanto should not have to vouchsafe the safety of biotech food,"
              said Phil Angell, Monsanto's director of corporate communications.
              "Our interest is in selling as much of it as possible. Assuring its safety is the FDA's job."
              (GE = Genetically Engineered)
              (FDA = Food and Drugs Administration)
            • Rex Teague
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 9, 2002
                On 6 Aug 02, souscayrous wrote:

                > I'm also in the process of researching reedbeds (amongst other
                > things) and would mention Art Ludwig's website
                > http://www.oasisdesign.net/index.htm for much excellent information
                > on greywater and its use.

                Thanks for the link but again the real reason for the website is
                marketing his books and services. Admittedly that's from a brief visit
                however after the amount of information I've sifted through my
                antenna for the essence is fairly well tuned. 8-)

                > Have you heard of Tom Watson's 'Watson Wick' system? It is simply a
                > gravel filled trench (sand is also possible) through which the
                > greywater and blackwater passes, feeding the trees you plant upon
                > this medium - which I think from your post is your ultimate
                > intention. I've seen a 'Watson Wick' working and it seemed to be
                > coping with the small domestic flows it was designed for,
                > certainly the trees were flourishing.

                Yes... my osier bed proposal will have a similar purpose.

                > Have you tried web searches using 'constructed wetland' (well, you
                > might not of thought of it! - though considering your usual
                > thoroughness when it comes to web links I doubt it). There have
                > also been email threads on the pc list about reed beds, you might
                > want to search their archives (I remember Robyn Francis has a
                > couple at her place).

                I have directed questions to Robyn on the [permaculture] list... they
                weren't answered. Lawrence London has one of his large compilation
                files specifically on "constructed wetlands".

                > Good Luck and let me know if you happen upon a particularly fruitful
                > source of information.

                Will do... Rex
              • Rex Teague
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 9, 2002
                  On 6 Aug 02, J. P. wrote:

                  > this may be a basic question from a greywater beginner, but how do you
                  > tell what is detergent and what is soap? I'm thinking of laundry and
                  > shower here, nothing blacker than that. do you have to make your own
                  > soap or are there brands that are greywater acceptable? I have never
                  > found a listing, either of acceptable/unacceptable ingredients, nor of
                  > brand names.

                  Dr. Kaethe Seidel demonstated that a vast array of nasties, including
                  low level radiation, can be cleaned up by plants. The interview at
                  http://www.ratical.org/LifeWeb/Articles/rushes.txt has been an
                  inspiration to me for several years. To quote a portion:

                  "We have been testing and demonstrating this for many years, and
                  no one else had done it before us. I came here with that intention -
                  to show that waters must first be reconstituted with plants. And if
                  this were understood and acted on wherever dirty effluents are
                  poured into bodies of water, we would not have such problems
                  today. Unfortunately, biologists have never adequately concerned
                  themselves with plants. Even at our Max Planck Institute, there were
                  well known chemists, zoologists, microbiologists, but no one
                  concerned with plants. In fact, they laughed at me."

                  Cheerio... Rex
                • Robert Monie
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 10, 2002
                    Hello Rex,
                    John Todd, who wrote the foreword to Toby Hemenway's "Gaia's Garden," is an acknowledged master at using plants and microorganisms to break down sewage and purify water. He and his wife Nancy have developed a system called "The Living Machine" that runs sewage and other wastes through a series of mini-ecospheres (housed in tubs) that eventually produces water clean enough for irrigation.
                    Todd's methods are presented in two older books (now out of print): "Bioshelters, Ocean Arks, City Farming: Ecology as the Basis of Design," and "What Do We Use for Lifeboats when the Ship Goes Down? Conversations with Robert Reines, John Todd, Ian McHarg, Paolo Soleri, and Richard Saul Wurtman."
                    His most recent book (still in print), co-authored with Nancy, is ""From Eco-Cities to Living Machines."
                    Todd's approach works well enough to handle the entire Municipal Sewage Treatment Plant for city of Burlington, Vermont. He manages the citys sewage load without using chlorine or any other chemicals.
                    His two web sites are http://www.oceanarks.org/ and http://www.livingmachines.com/ and he is amply represented on google.com under "John Todd, living machines."
                    Todd has worked with several architects and designers, including Paolo Soleri and Maya Linn. Todd is an eloquent advocate of hydroponics systems, but, from his introduction to Gaia's Garden, one must conclude that he has some interest in permaculture/forest farming/ natural farming as well.
                    Are you already familiar with Tood's Living Machines, Rex? I'd be interested in your opinion.
                    Bob Monie
                    Rex Teague wrote:On 6 Aug 02, souscayrous wrote:

                    > I'm also in the process of researching reedbeds (amongst other
                    > things) and would mention Art Ludwig's website
                    > http://www.oasisdesign.net/index.htm for much excellent information
                    > on greywater and its use.

                    Thanks for the link but again the real reason for the website is
                    marketing his books and services. Admittedly that's from a brief visit
                    however after the amount of information I've sifted through my
                    antenna for the essence is fairly well tuned. 8-)

                    > Have you heard of Tom Watson's 'Watson Wick' system? It is simply a
                    > gravel filled trench (sand is also possible) through which the
                    > greywater and blackwater passes, feeding the trees you plant upon
                    > this medium - which I think from your post is your ultimate
                    > intention. I've seen a 'Watson Wick' working and it seemed to be
                    > coping with the small domestic flows it was designed for,
                    > certainly the trees were flourishing.

                    Yes... my osier bed proposal will have a similar purpose.

                    > Have you tried web searches using 'constructed wetland' (well, you
                    > might not of thought of it! - though considering your usual
                    > thoroughness when it comes to web links I doubt it). There have
                    > also been email threads on the pc list about reed beds, you might
                    > want to search their archives (I remember Robyn Francis has a
                    > couple at her place).

                    I have directed questions to Robyn on the [permaculture] list... they
                    weren't answered. Lawrence London has one of his large compilation
                    files specifically on "constructed wetlands".

                    > Good Luck and let me know if you happen upon a particularly fruitful
                    > source of information.

                    Will do... Rex

                    Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                  • Tookie
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 10, 2002
                      Hi Bob and Rex,

                      There is also Dean Cameron who invented the Dowmus system widely used in
                      Australia. He has taken that abit further and called it the Biolytix system
                      http://www.biolytix.com/index.htm that is being used very successfully in
                      many large develpments etc. We are bringing them on as consultants in our
                      eco-village project and it is likely that we will use this entire system
                      should our project get through council. In any case - their website is
                      interesting as well.

                      Tookie

> [...]

                      > intention. I've seen a 'Watson Wick' working and it seemed to be
                      > coping with the small domestic flows it was designed for,
                      > certainly the trees were flourishing.

                      Yes... my osier bed proposal will have a similar purpose.

                      > Have you tried web searches using 'constructed wetland' (well, you
                      > might not of thought of it! - though considering your usual
                      > thoroughness when it comes to web links I doubt it). There have
                      > also been email threads on the pc list about reed beds, you might
                      > want to search their archives (I remember Robyn Francis has a
                      > couple at her place).

                      I have directed questions to Robyn on the [permaculture] list... they
                      weren't answered. Lawrence London has one of his large compilation
                      files specifically on "constructed wetlands".

                      > Good Luck and let me know if you happen upon a particularly fruitful

                    • Wendy
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 24, 2002
                        Hi Robert,

                        I've only glancing at the Todds' work, but with the little I did felt, for
                        me, that it might be a bit elaborate with machines and all. I'm always
                        looking toward simple, local, earth-based working with nature and its' laws
                        but simple vs. elaborate. What do you think knowing their work better?
                        take care,
                        wendy