Re: [fukuoka_farming] How can I reduce evaporation losses?

  • francisco cotejo
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 4, 2008
      Dear Srinath/Venkal,

      Yes, supplying water in bottles with small holes at the bottom to saplings is a very good idea to supply water to saplings. Mulching is a good way to minimize moisture evaporation.

      But the best of all is to harden the saplings in the nursery prior to transplanting in the field.This includes ensuring the development of a good root system preferably through elevated flooring, gradually exposing the saplings to sunlight and lessening the frequency of watering.

      Also, it is best to transplant only during rainy days.

      Francisco

      srinath hr <srinath.hr@...> wrote: Dear Venkat,
      Thanks a lot...

      Yes, I am trying the bottle method of Drip irrigation this sunday...

      Regarding Pandal-- I have cut long branches of nearby plants and placed
      around the sapling as a cover- This should protect the sapling from over
      exposure to Sun...Also, I have covered the sapling with branches from
      Thorny bushes to protect from Cows and sheep.

      Regards
      Srinath

      Regards

      Srinath HR

    • Dieter Brand
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 5, 2008
        Francisco,

        Can you explain how root systems are developped by elevated flooring?

        Thank you,

        Dieter

        srinath hr <srinath.hr@gmail. com> wrote: Dear Venkat,

        On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 4:57 PM, Venkat Iyer <ivenkat66@gmail. com> wrote:

> [...]
        > >
        > > Dear Friends,
        > > Recently,I have planted few saplings in my farm (it is located in a
        > > dry area and the Rainy season is just over).Presently I am able to
        > > visit it only once a week and during these visits, I water these
        > > saplings. The problem is, when I return next week the saplings are
        > > nearly dead because of lack of water.
        > > My presumption is, there is a huge loss of water because of
        > > evaporation.
        > > I have tried to cover the base of the saplings with some cut weeds,
        > > but it is not very effective.
        > >
        > > I would like to know, what are the other methods we have (which are
        > > natural and cost effective)to effectively control Evaporation losses.
        > >
        > > Drip irrigation may be an effective method, but I cannot got for it at
        > > present because there is no security for my farm currently - which I
        > > can think of only after 2 or 3 years from now.

        Regards

        Srinath HR

      • chintamani.fes
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 5, 2008