Re: [fukuoka_farming] How can I reduce evaporation losses?

  • Venkat Iyer
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 4, 2008
      Dear Srinath
      To save u r trees before u reach the next week, I have tried this option and
      it works. Take some used plastic bottles any cold drink will do. Fill with
      water and make a small hole at the bottom. Place near sapling. Water will
      last for a long time. Besides once people around know that there is a hole
      at the base no one steals the bottles. My first attempt I made holes in the
      cap and lost all the bottles.
      I also got small pots with tiny hole at the bottom which u bury near
      sapling. Fill it with water and cover with some grass and leaves. I got some
      of these pots from the govt agri dept. Not sure if u will get in u r area.
      The bottle method is a sure success also. U can control the flow of water by
      reducing the pin hole. Since u say one week it will have to be very small
      else the water flows out in 2-3 days time.
      What u could try is to get some local person to place the bottles near the
      saplings 3 days after u have left so that the saplings have a better chance.

      As the heat increases I also did one more thing. Make a small structure of 4
      sticks similar to a pandal. Place the pandal on top of the sapling. Ensure
      there is at least 3 inches gap between sapling and top of pandal. U can use
      any local twigs to make this and place large leaves on the pandal as cover.
      This cuts the evaporation thru the leaaves and saves the sapling. I used the
      palm leaf since it is big and easy to tie to the structure. Have a few palm
      trees around so could do it. U need to look around in u r area to see which
      leaf u can use.
      Best of luck

      On 9/28/08, Srinath <srinath.hr@...> wrote:

      > Dear Friends,
      > Recently,I have planted few saplings in my farm (it is located in a
      > dry area and the Rainy season is just over).Presently I am able to
      > visit it only once a week and during these visits, I water these
      > saplings. The problem is, when I return next week the saplings are
      > nearly dead because of lack of water.
      > My presumption is, there is a huge loss of water because of
      > evaporation.
      > I have tried to cover the base of the saplings with some cut weeds,
      > but it is not very effective.
      >
      > I would like to know, what are the other methods we have (which are
      > natural and cost effective)to effectively control Evaporation losses.
      >
      > Drip irrigation may be an effective method, but I cannot got for it at
      > present because there is no security for my farm currently - which I
      > can think of only after 2 or 3 years from now.
      >
      > Regards
      > Srinath

      Venkat Iyer
      203, Madhyam Society,
      M G Road, Goregaon (West),
      Mumbai - 400 062
      India
      Tel (Res) : 91-22-28728169
      (Mob) : 9869269067
      (Farm) : 91-2528-690182

    • srinath hr
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 4, 2008
        Dear Venkat,
        Thanks a lot...

        Yes, I am trying the bottle method of Drip irrigation this sunday...

        Regarding Pandal-- I have cut long branches of nearby plants and placed
        around the sapling as a cover- This should protect the sapling from over
        exposure to Sun...Also, I have covered the sapling with branches from
        Thorny bushes to protect from Cows and sheep.

        Regards
        Srinath

        Regards

        Srinath HR

      • francisco cotejo
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 4, 2008
          Dear Srinath/Venkal,

          Yes, supplying water in bottles with small holes at the bottom to saplings is a very good idea to supply water to saplings. Mulching is a good way to minimize moisture evaporation.

          But the best of all is to harden the saplings in the nursery prior to transplanting in the field.This includes ensuring the development of a good root system preferably through elevated flooring, gradually exposing the saplings to sunlight and lessening the frequency of watering.

          Also, it is best to transplant only during rainy days.

          Francisco

          srinath hr <srinath.hr@...> wrote: Dear Venkat,

          Regards

          Srinath HR

        • Dieter Brand
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 5, 2008
            Francisco,

            Can you explain how root systems are developped by elevated flooring?

            Thank you,

            Dieter

            srinath hr <srinath.hr@gmail. com> wrote: Dear Venkat,

            On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 4:57 PM, Venkat Iyer <ivenkat66@gmail. com> wrote:

> [...]
            > >
            > > Dear Friends,
            > > Recently,I have planted few saplings in my farm (it is located in a
            > > dry area and the Rainy season is just over).Presently I am able to
            > > visit it only once a week and during these visits, I water these
            > > saplings. The problem is, when I return next week the saplings are
            > > nearly dead because of lack of water.
            > > My presumption is, there is a huge loss of water because of
            > > evaporation.
            > > I have tried to cover the base of the saplings with some cut weeds,
            > > but it is not very effective.
            > >
            > > I would like to know, what are the other methods we have (which are
            > > natural and cost effective)to effectively control Evaporation losses.
            > >
            > > Drip irrigation may be an effective method, but I cannot got for it at
            > > present because there is no security for my farm currently - which I
            > > can think of only after 2 or 3 years from now.

            Regards

            Srinath HR

          • chintamani.fes
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 5, 2008