Re: Against Animals

  • Will
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 4, 2008
      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, william maxwell <true_tom@...>
      wrote:

      > It might be a poor suggestion but it's my understanding that most
      beings prefer an easier meal to a more difficult one; if you have a
      combination of the plants that repel animals and an "offering"
      elsewhere, perhaps that would establish the harmony you're looking for.

      I believe the suggestion has merit, though one must be careful with
      enabling a growing population of animals that may then, by pressure
      from simply needing to feed themselves, expand into your garden area.
      We have a population of rabbits nearby, and I finally had to fence my
      garden in order to be able to rescue any beans, peas, carrots, etc.

      My grains haven't suffered the same fate, fortunately.

      Will Stewart
    • shashi.pkumar@wipro.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 13, 2008
        Yuho San,

        One more option you could explore is to grow a trap crop - a crop wallabies and possums like most. While wallabies and possums concentrate on the trap crop, you vegetables will be spared...

        I saved most of my paddy (grown in 20 cents area) from bird attacks by growing sunflowers in a small areas (around 2 cents area...). Still there were bird attacks to paddy but I believe was able to divert their attention...

        Shashi

        From: Yuho Sato <yuhosato@...>
        Subject: [fukuoka_farming] Against Animals
        To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Saturday, September 27, 2008, 12:29 AM

        Dear all,

        I have started seed-balling with Natural Farming in Tasmania in Australia, though I'm Japanese...

        In Tasmania there are many wallabies and possums who eats the vegetables, and possums even could climb the fence!
        So I'm wondering how I could stop them to eat vegetables in Natural way...
        (or how to make a harmony with them)

        I think Mr.Fukuoka uses Japenese Bead Tree(Melia Azedarach) or Akebia that amimals doesn't like the smell.
        Now I'm trying to grow the tree, but it takes a few years to grow it...
        So I'm wondering if there is another way or another herbs.

        I heard Peppermint works well against wild boars or rats, then I wanna try it here, too.
        If someone knows about something against animals, could you please let me know?

        Thank you very much, and...
        Best Regards to Mr.Fukuoka and his followers...
        Yuho

      • dkscanoe
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 14, 2008
          Look to Golden Retrievers they are very gentle dogs but same thing
          they will ward off other animals are a large breed but such gentle
          souls. You can pay an arm and a leg for a purebred but you can also
          find some crossbred ones that retain all the favorable characteristics.
          They are a true companion dog.

          Doug Schmidt
          Upstate New York
          United States

        • yarrow@sfo.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 14, 2008
            Every year seems to be a little bit different, and in my garden most
            predation occurs in early spring and fall, when foods are less
            abundant in the wild.

            I had read about planting sunflowers to keep the squirrels away from
            the tomatoes, so several years ago I tried it and it didn't work --
            they stayed away from the sunflowers and ate tomatoes. But I noticed
            they ate mostly the very fragrant larger open-pollinated tomatoes,
            especially the pink and purple/black ones, so I started growing more
            cherry tomatoes, as well as different colors (orange, yellow).

            But this year, the squirrels have been eating every flower from one
            sunflower plant that volunteered. They left the tomatoes alone until
            yesterday, when I found my last large orange/yellow tomato partly
            eaten!

            Tanya in California

            At 9:30 AM +0530 10/14/08, <shashi.pkumar@...> wrote:
            Yuho San,

            One more option you could explore is to grow a trap crop - a crop
            wallabies and possums like most. While wallabies and possums
            concentrate on the trap crop, you vegetables will be spared...

            I saved most of my paddy (grown in 20 cents area) from bird attacks
            by growing sunflowers in a small areas (around 2 cents area...).
            Still there were bird attacks to paddy but I believe was able to
            divert their attention...

          • Shawn Turner
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 15, 2008
              I had problems with squirrels once. I ate them!! Just kidding. I sprayed hot pepper Spray on them. Then I took them over to where to squirrels where coming into eat them. I watched as the squirrels came down to grab the tomato and take a bit. They immediately drop the tomato and ran off. The next day I did the same thing for 3 days. I have never had a problem sense and we have tons of squirrels.

              I have also heard if you plant hot peppers next to your tomato's animals will leave them alone.