Re: New Polyculture, rotations, and weed control....Red clover

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 2, 2008
      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "della99999" <della99999@...>
      wrote:

      > I wonder what you mean by "red clover mulched while still green".
      > I plant clover in the aisles of my gardens and mow them high when
      > they get very big. It does work well for me for weed control in the
      > aisles although it drives my husband nuts. He's rateher conventional.

      ok so the red clover when still green-

      this effect is lost if the clover is harrowed (cut) and left to dry,
      before baling and transport to the garden/field (if the clover is
      produced off site)

      it also refers to the effect being lost if you decide to compost it...
      ie you don't want to use it as sheet compost with other mulches if you
      want the est weed control
      so.. if you want the extra mulch for moisture control or extended weed
      control, and soil enrichment.
      you should wait 3-4 weeks until the clover effect is used up