Alarm

  • Robin, Maya, or Napi
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 5, 2002
      Dear Varanashi Krishna Moorthy,
      Your web page does make us want to visit your research farm, to
      study the dedicated teamwork, to taste the nourishing organic foods.
      Thank you for sharing
      your glorious green project.

      Dear Rex Teague,
      Your comments have been informative through the archive of this
      news group's messages. Your mixed metaphor was funny. Sorry to say,
      the real meaning of
      your words has a most alarming possibility. Do you mean by 'sewage
      garden' a way for a single family or a small group to use a composting
      toilet & possibly one of the Varanashi recipes for fertilizer, a
      variation of the ancient relationship between a family & their
      fields? This arrangement can be held in a natural balance.

      OR do you mean that you have been approached by a municipal water
      treatment plant to spread "free fertilizer" sludge on your organic
      land. You & other readers here may already know all this, but it
      would be irresponsible not to make sure that you have seen the
      following research on the subject: "Class B sewage sludge contains
      harmful bacteria, enteric viruses, protozoa, & parasites. Exposure to
      these organisms may cause severe adverse health effects, including
      typhoid fever, dysentery, gastroenteritis, diarrhea, abdominal pain,
      cholera, hepatitis, meningitis, pneumonia, paralysis, encephalitis,
      respiratory problems & fever. Seek medical attention if any of the
      above symptoms occur after exposure to sewage sludge." Source: United
      States Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, 2000; US
      Environmental Protection Agency Office of Research & Development,
      "Environmental Regulations & Technology: Control of Pathogens & Vector
      Attraction in Sewage Sludge."

      Although it sounds like the most natural form of recycling,
      municipal waste has the drain flushings of industry, the ditch, gutter
      & road runoff of pesticide,
      herbicide, & chemical fertilizer, & the concentration of hospital
      drain waste, in a combination of irritants with pathogens that can
      seriously weaken the immune
      systems of the entire surrounding population. There is no way to
      filter it back to "organic". When all else has broken down, your
      fields will be contaminated with heavy metal & petrochemicals.

      Please do not brush off the testimony of families who have
      suffered tragedy when nearby farmers accepted the free sludge. Expert
      Witness Report: State of New Hampshire, Rockingham County Superior
      Court <http://members.aol.co/Lewis DaveL/Expertreport.htm.> Cornell
      University Studies & related links
      <http://www.cfe.cornell.edu/wmi/Sludge/biosolidssummary.pdf> There
      are about a dozen other sites, if you are interested. There is a
      heated struggle going on here in Southeastern US, between water
      treatment plants that need to dump this stuff, farmers who tested it
      because they wanted to use free "organic" fertilizer, & communities
      with increasing epidemiological evidence, including deaths, that
      reveal the unacceptable level of biohazard in spraying sludge. See
      the National Whistleblower Center for current information about EPA &
      sludge issues <http://www.whistleblowers.org/sludgepage.htm> The
      stories that have been collected include nausea, vomiting, stomach
      cramps, migraine headaches, flu-like symptoms, asthma attack, sudden
      illness caused by viruses, bacteria, & fungi, rashes, abscesses,
      tumors, cysts, & allergies. This is NOT the same as mucking out the
      barn.

      Dear Xavier & Jennifer,
      With all the inspiring discussion within this group, sorry to
      welcome you on this dismal note. It is a pleasure to imagine the
      gardens of Norway, Alaska, & India communing with each other through
      their people. To paraphrase Maechelle Small Wright of Virginia's
      Perelandra Research Garden: to people, a garden is an accomplishment
      of nature; to nature, a garden is the craft of people, which is how we
      know that a garden is actually a co-creation. That Mr. Fukuoko's work
      is studied in all these settings is how we know we are all listening
      to our co-creators.

    • Rex Teague
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 6, 2002
        On 5 Aug 02, Robin, Maya, or Napi wrote:

        > Your comments have been informative through the archive of this
        > news group's messages. Your mixed metaphor was funny. Sorry to
        > say, the real meaning of your words has a most alarming
        > possibility. Do you mean by 'sewage garden' a way for a single
        > family or a small group to use a composting toilet & possibly one
        > of the Varanashi recipes for fertilizer, a variation of the
        > ancient relationship between a family & their fields? This
        > arrangement can be held in a natural balance.

        Thank-you for the acknowledgement and this scenario comes closest
        to what I'm proposing to do. "Sewage garden" has a royal pedigree
        http://old.smh.com.au/news/0012/13/features/features2.html. ;-)

        > OR do you mean that you have been approached by a municipal water
        > treatment plant to spread "free fertilizer" sludge on your organic
        > land.
        ---8<---

        Certainly not this scenario. The local Council bought land with a view
        to piping such "fertilizer" onto it to grow trees... the project was
        quickly thwarted by a savvy public outcry.

        Without being fanatical about it, we have adopted a shut front gate
        policy on actively importing soil amendments, manures etc. By way
        of an example, a friend had part of her "organic" hay crop spoilt by
        rain so we stretched the principle and helped her get it off the
        paddock but otherwise it _no_ to imports.

        Cheers... Rex