How can I reduce evaporation losses?

  • Srinath
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 28, 2008
      Dear Friends,
      Recently,I have planted few saplings in my farm (it is located in a
      dry area and the Rainy season is just over).Presently I am able to
      visit it only once a week and during these visits, I water these
      saplings. The problem is, when I return next week the saplings are
      nearly dead because of lack of water.
      My presumption is, there is a huge loss of water because of
      evaporation.
      I have tried to cover the base of the saplings with some cut weeds,
      but it is not very effective.

      I would like to know, what are the other methods we have (which are
      natural and cost effective)to effectively control Evaporation losses.

      Drip irrigation may be an effective method, but I cannot got for it at
      present because there is no security for my farm currently - which I
      can think of only after 2 or 3 years from now.

      Regards
      Srinath
    • Raju Titus
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 28, 2008
        Dear friend,
        Saplings are died due to they are not suitable to place.Try to study what
        type of vegetation growing without irrigation and plant or scatter seed ball
        accordingly.Irrigation is also unnatural gives lot of problem try to avoid.
        Raju

        On 9/28/08, Srinath <srinath.hr@...> wrote:

        > Dear Friends,
        > Recently,I have planted few saplings in my farm (it is located in a
        > dry area and the Rainy season is just over).Presently I am able to
        > visit it only once a week and during these visits, I water these
        > saplings. The problem is, when I return next week the saplings are
        > nearly dead because of lack of water.
        > My presumption is, there is a huge loss of water because of
        > evaporation.
        > I have tried to cover the base of the saplings with some cut weeds,
        > but it is not very effective.
        >
        > I would like to know, what are the other methods we have (which are
        > natural and cost effective)to effectively control Evaporation losses.
        >
        > Drip irrigation may be an effective method, but I cannot got for it at
        > present because there is no security for my farm currently - which I
        > can think of only after 2 or 3 years from now.
        >
        > Regards
        > Srinath

      • sunjay ohdedar
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 29, 2008
          Dear Srinath,
          I have an estate in Ooty and in the far flung areas, I alo face the similar problems. I have started a very innovative and cost effective method to water the plants.
          In this method, I take a 5 liter used plastic water bottle of mineral water, I make a pin hole in the base and fill it up with water. Then I place this bootle at the base of  the sapling on the ground. I do this on a weekly basis for saplings during the dry season.
          Try it out.......
          Regards
          Sanjay
[...]

        • Nandan Palaparambil
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 29, 2008
            Srinath,

            Saplings of which tree you have planted?

            Probably timings also matter a lot, it would have been better if these saplings were planted at the onset of monsoon. This way, they will have their roots spread out so that they can get water from far.

            Also as Raju had suggested, there may be different types trees which can tolerate summer. You may get this information from the neighbor farmers.

            Bhaskar Save (Natural farmer - Gujarat) suggests that watering should be very minimal so that trees will get adjusted to drought conditions. If we always give enough water at the base, their roots won't go far.

            Regards,
            Nandan

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 29, 2008
              Dear Sanjay,
              This looks to be a very good idea.....I will try this during this week
              end.....
              Thanks a lot...

              Also, I would like to know what other innovative ideas/ methods you have in
              your kitty....

              Regards
              Srinath

              On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 5:52 PM, sunjay ohdedar <sohdedar@...> wrote:

              > Dear Srinath,
              > I have an estate in Ooty and in the far flung areas, I alo face the similar
              > problems. I have started a very innovative and cost effective method to
              > water the plants.
              > In this method, I take a 5 liter used plastic water bottle of mineral
              > water, I make a pin hole in the base and fill it up with water. Then I place
              > this bootle at the base of the sapling on the ground. I do this on a weekly
              > basis for saplings during the dry season.
              > Try it out.......
              > Regards
              > Sanjay
              > --- On Sun, 9/28/08, Srinath <srinath.hr@...<srinath.hr%40gmail.com>>
              > wrote:
              >
              > From: Srinath <srinath.hr@... <srinath.hr%40gmail.com>>
              > Subject: [fukuoka_farming] How can I reduce evaporation losses?
              > To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com <fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com>
              > Date: Sunday, September 28, 2008, 3:21 PM
              >
              > Dear Friends,
              > Recently,I have planted few saplings in my farm (it is located in a
              > dry area and the Rainy season is just over).Presently I am able to
              > visit it only once a week and during these visits, I water these
              > saplings. The problem is, when I return next week the saplings are
              > nearly dead because of lack of water.
              > My presumption is, there is a huge loss of water because of
              > evaporation.
              > I have tried to cover the base of the saplings with some cut weeds,
              > but it is not very effective.
              >
              > I would like to know, what are the other methods we have (which are
              > natural and cost effective)to effectively control Evaporation losses.
              >
              > Drip irrigation may be an effective method, but I cannot got for it at
              > present because there is no security for my farm currently - which I
              > can think of only after 2 or 3 years from now.
              >
              > Regards
              > Srinath

              Regards

              Srinath HR

            • srinath hr
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 29, 2008
                Nandan,Raju,
                I have planted Saplings of Indian Gooseberry (Amla), Indian Blackberry
                (Jamun), bamboo....All of this are known to survive in this area and
                soil....
                Well, I got these saplings before monsoon and took care of them on my
                terrace. after a month or sao I planted that in my farm during the fag end
                of Rainy season......

                Regards

                Srinath

                On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 6:50 PM, Nandan Palaparambil <p_k_nandanan@...
                > wrote:

                > Srinath,
                >
                > Saplings of which tree you have planted?
                >
                > Probably timings also matter a lot, it would have been better if these
                > saplings were planted at the onset of monsoon. This way, they will have
                > their roots spread out so that they can get water from far.
                >
                > Also as Raju had suggested, there may be different types trees which can
                > tolerate summer. You may get this information from the neighbor farmers.
                >
                > Bhaskar Save (Natural farmer - Gujarat) suggests that watering should be
                > very minimal so that trees will get adjusted to drought conditions. If we
                > always give enough water at the base, their roots won't go far.
                >
                > Regards,
                > Nandan
                >
                > --- On Sun, 9/28/08, Srinath <srinath.hr@...<srinath.hr%40gmail.com>>
                > wrote:
                > From: Srinath <srinath.hr@... <srinath.hr%40gmail.com>>
                > Subject: [fukuoka_farming] How can I reduce evaporation losses?
                > To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com <fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com>
                > Date: Sunday, September 28, 2008, 3:21 PM
                >
                > Dear Friends,
                >
                > Recently,I have planted few saplings in my farm (it is located in a
                >
                > dry area and the Rainy season is just over).Presently I am able to
                >
                > visit it only once a week and during these visits, I water these
                >
                > saplings. The problem is, when I return next week the saplings are
                >
                > nearly dead because of lack of water.
                >
                > My presumption is, there is a huge loss of water because of
                >
                > evaporation.
                >
                > I have tried to cover the base of the saplings with some cut weeds,
                >
                > but it is not very effective.
                >
                > I would like to know, what are the other methods we have (which are
                >
                > natural and cost effective)to effectively control Evaporation losses.
                >
                > Drip irrigation may be an effective method, but I cannot got for it at
                >
                > present because there is no security for my farm currently - which I
                >
                > can think of only after 2 or 3 years from now.
                >
                > Regards
                >
                > Srinath

                Regards

                Srinath HR

              • claude wong
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 29, 2008
                  --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Raju Titus" <rajuktitus@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Dear friend,
                  > Saplings die due to they are not suitable to place.Try to study what
                  > type of vegetation growing without irrigation and plant or scatter
                  seed ball
                  > accordingly.Irrigation is also unnatural gives lot of problem try to
                  avoid.
                  > Raju
                  >

                  > On 9/28/08, Srinath <srinath.hr@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Dear Friends,
                  > > Recently,I have planted few saplings in my farm (it is located in a
                  > > dry area and the Rainy season is just over).Presently I am able to
                  > > visit it only once a week and during these visits, I water these
                  > > saplings. The problem is, when I return next week the saplings are
                  > > nearly dead because of lack of water.
                  > > My presumption is, there is a huge loss of water because of
                  > > evaporation.
                  > > I have tried to cover the base of the saplings with some cut weeds,
                  > > but it is not very effective.
                  > >
                  > > I would like to know, what are the other methods we have (which are
                  > > natural and cost effective)to effectively control Evaporation losses.
                  > >
                  > > Drip irrigation may be an effective method, but I cannot got for it at
                  > > present because there is no security for my farm currently - which I
                  > > can think of only after 2 or 3 years from now.
                  > >
                  > > Regards
                  > > Srinath

                  Dear Srinath,

                  Try to put compost with cow dung when planting.This miraculous item
                  help to keep dry land moist,even in the desert!Google>subhash Palekar

                  cidanandas

                • Venkat Iyer
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 4, 2008
                    Dear Srinath
                    To save u r trees before u reach the next week, I have tried this option and
                    it works. Take some used plastic bottles any cold drink will do. Fill with
                    water and make a small hole at the bottom. Place near sapling. Water will
                    last for a long time. Besides once people around know that there is a hole
                    at the base no one steals the bottles. My first attempt I made holes in the
                    cap and lost all the bottles.
                    I also got small pots with tiny hole at the bottom which u bury near
                    sapling. Fill it with water and cover with some grass and leaves. I got some
                    of these pots from the govt agri dept. Not sure if u will get in u r area.
                    The bottle method is a sure success also. U can control the flow of water by
                    reducing the pin hole. Since u say one week it will have to be very small
                    else the water flows out in 2-3 days time.
                    What u could try is to get some local person to place the bottles near the
                    saplings 3 days after u have left so that the saplings have a better chance.

                    As the heat increases I also did one more thing. Make a small structure of 4
                    sticks similar to a pandal. Place the pandal on top of the sapling. Ensure
                    there is at least 3 inches gap between sapling and top of pandal. U can use
                    any local twigs to make this and place large leaves on the pandal as cover.
                    This cuts the evaporation thru the leaaves and saves the sapling. I used the
                    palm leaf since it is big and easy to tie to the structure. Have a few palm
                    trees around so could do it. U need to look around in u r area to see which
                    leaf u can use.
                    Best of luck

                    On 9/28/08, Srinath <srinath.hr@...> wrote:

                    > Dear Friends,
                    > Recently,I have planted few saplings in my farm (it is located in a
                    > dry area and the Rainy season is just over).Presently I am able to
                    > visit it only once a week and during these visits, I water these
                    > saplings. The problem is, when I return next week the saplings are
                    > nearly dead because of lack of water.
                    > My presumption is, there is a huge loss of water because of
                    > evaporation.
                    > I have tried to cover the base of the saplings with some cut weeds,
                    > but it is not very effective.
                    >
                    > I would like to know, what are the other methods we have (which are
                    > natural and cost effective)to effectively control Evaporation losses.
                    >
                    > Drip irrigation may be an effective method, but I cannot got for it at
                    > present because there is no security for my farm currently - which I
                    > can think of only after 2 or 3 years from now.
                    >
                    > Regards
                    > Srinath

                    Venkat Iyer
                    203, Madhyam Society,
                    M G Road, Goregaon (West),
                    Mumbai - 400 062
                    India
                    Tel (Res) : 91-22-28728169
                    (Mob) : 9869269067
                    (Farm) : 91-2528-690182

                  • srinath hr
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 4, 2008
                      Dear Venkat,
                      Thanks a lot...

                      Yes, I am trying the bottle method of Drip irrigation this sunday...

                      Regarding Pandal-- I have cut long branches of nearby plants and placed
                      around the sapling as a cover- This should protect the sapling from over
                      exposure to Sun...Also, I have covered the sapling with branches from
                      Thorny bushes to protect from Cows and sheep.

                      Regards
                      Srinath

                      Regards

                      Srinath HR

                    • francisco cotejo
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 4, 2008
                        Dear Srinath/Venkal,

                        Yes, supplying water in bottles with small holes at the bottom to saplings is a very good idea to supply water to saplings. Mulching is a good way to minimize moisture evaporation.

                        But the best of all is to harden the saplings in the nursery prior to transplanting in the field.This includes ensuring the development of a good root system preferably through elevated flooring, gradually exposing the saplings to sunlight and lessening the frequency of watering.

                        Also, it is best to transplant only during rainy days.

                        Francisco

                        srinath hr <srinath.hr@...> wrote: Dear Venkat,

                        Regards

                        Srinath HR

                      • Dieter Brand
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 5, 2008
                          Francisco,

                          Can you explain how root systems are developped by elevated flooring?

                          Thank you,

                          Dieter

                          srinath hr <srinath.hr@gmail. com> wrote: Dear Venkat,

                          On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 4:57 PM, Venkat Iyer <ivenkat66@gmail. com> wrote:

> [...]
                          > >
                          > > Dear Friends,
                          > > Recently,I have planted few saplings in my farm (it is located in a
                          > > dry area and the Rainy season is just over).Presently I am able to
                          > > visit it only once a week and during these visits, I water these
                          > > saplings. The problem is, when I return next week the saplings are
                          > > nearly dead because of lack of water.
                          > > My presumption is, there is a huge loss of water because of
                          > > evaporation.
                          > > I have tried to cover the base of the saplings with some cut weeds,
                          > > but it is not very effective.
                          > >
                          > > I would like to know, what are the other methods we have (which are
                          > > natural and cost effective)to effectively control Evaporation losses.
                          > >
                          > > Drip irrigation may be an effective method, but I cannot got for it at
                          > > present because there is no security for my farm currently - which I
                          > > can think of only after 2 or 3 years from now.

                          Regards

                          Srinath HR

                        • chintamani.fes
                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 5, 2008