Re: Greece - Reforestation 2008

  • karoubas
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 21, 2008
      Hello Dieter,

      The machine was made from scratch - Dino (photo 1A) invented the
      machine - its similar to the butcher machine u talk about - it makes
      disks of different diameters - as far as drawings, I will need to get
      permission from Dino - the machine forces to the premade mix of clay,
      seeds and water to the front where steel plate the holes are located;
      the hole sizes can be changed (we used two different sizes). A heavy
      steel wire is used to cut the disks as the mix comes out. The machine
      is not difficult to make.

      Dino needs to be congratulated for his invention - he always thinks
      outside the box and has some great ideas.

      Again the volunteers that came to help - they are impressive people -
      it was an honor to meet them. I don't have photos of all of them - I
      took photos towards the end of the effort - Panos Manikis as usual
      coordinated the effort and has devoted his life to natural farming and
      the reforestation efforts.

      Kostas

      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Dieter Brand <diebrand@...> wrote:

      > Kostas,
      >
      > Thanks for posting the photos.  20 metric tons?  That is impressive!
      >
      > The new machine you talk aboot, is that what we see in picture 1 and
      1A?  Looks a bit like the machines butchers use for making ground
      meat.  Can you confirm that it is indeed the same working principle,
      with a screw inside for transporting the material which is then forced
      through holes.  But how are the balls made?  With the machine for
      making ground meat you end up with spaghetti not balls.  Was the
      machine made from scratch, or is there a machine on the market that
      can be modified?  Can you post a drawing that shows how it works?  Is
      the ball size always the same or can it be changed?

      > Dieter Brand,
      > Portugal

    • Christopher Lange
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 28, 2008
        Dear karoubas.
        As a young farmer from the aspen parkland of Saskatchewan who is currently trying to find ways of cutting inputs ( Our farm is organic) But it relies on mostly machinery and would like to downsize equipment wise . I 'm fasinated by Dino's seed ball invention Because I'm fasniated and would like to experiment with seedballs but time comsumption of just making the balls ( All though I do Have cement mixer for the mixing part ) was a bit of a deterant. Until Now .
        I would like to have permission and some of his blue print of this machine from Dino so I can finally kick off some machinery.
        Sincerly Christopher

        ________________________________
        The machine was made from scratch - Dino (photo 1A) invented the
        machine - its similar to the butcher machine u talk about - it makes
        disks of different diameters - as far as drawings, I will need to get
        permission from Dino - the machine forces to the premade mix of clay,
        seeds and water to the front where steel plate the holes are located;
        the hole sizes can be changed (we used two different sizes). A heavy
        steel wire is used to cut the disks as the mix comes out. The machine
        is not difficult to make.

        Dino needs to be congratulated for his invention - he always thinks
        outside the box and has some great ideas.

        Again the volunteers that came to help - they are impressive people -
        it was an honor to meet them. I don't have photos of all of them - I
        took photos towards the end of the effort - Panos Manikis as usual
        coordinated the effort and has devoted his life to natural farming and
        the reforestation efforts.

        Kostas

        --- In fukuoka_farming@ yahoogroups. com, Dieter Brand <diebrand@.. .> wrote:

        > Kostas,
        >
        > Thanks for posting the photos. 20 metric tons? That is impressive!
        >
        > The new machine you talk aboot, is that what we see in picture 1 and
        1A? Looks a bit like the machines butchers use for making ground
        meat. Can you confirm that it is indeed the same working principle,
        with a screw inside for transporting the material which is then forced
        through holes. But how are the balls made? With the machine for
        making ground meat you end up with spaghetti not balls. Was the
        machine made from scratch, or is there a machine on the market that
        can be modified? Can you post a drawing that shows how it works? Is
        the ball size always the same or can it be changed?

        > Dieter Brand,
        > Portugal

      • karoubas
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 2, 2008
          Hello Christopher,
          I wish I could help you with this - I do not think Dino even has
          drawings - if you look at the fotos and the description previously
          provided below, its not hard to make the machine.

          I use many ways to make large quantities of balls/pellets - the cement
          mixer (made without the handles inside) is a good solution to make
          large amounts of small seed balls (up to 3/8 inch diameter)- I use
          this method to seed my farm. Its important for the mixer not to have
          the handles inside, so you can put your hands inside to push the clay
          as it moves around as the mixer rotates.

          I also purchased some steel bar grates, used for drainage in road
          construction. They come with different size openings - I use grates
          with small openings for use on the farm, and large openings for
          reforestation efforts.

          Sometime in the middle of the winter or early spring I will meet with
          Dino and Panos and I will discuss the machine. Dino has mentioned
          other ideas about designing a machine mounted on a tractor that will
          mix clay and seeds, make seed pellets and deposit the on a road
          surface to dry as it moves along - this will be for very large quantities.

          I hope the above helps

          Kostas

          --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Christopher Lange