Re: [fukuoka_farming] Natural methods of slug control

  • Xavier Dequaire
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 3, 2002
      hi fellows!,

      I am trying to use natural methods though working out artificial micro-climates
      are essential to grow all those tasty exotic plants here in Norway.

      My most used method is "little intervening" when a spot is settled then favoring
      some plants by weeding and mulching. Transplants of yearly veggetables, though
      not natural in the start up of plants, is a necessity here because of the short
      summers and it then allows a more natural care after.

      As slugs are concerned, though they thrive in mulch they have at least a lot to
      eat there and seem less concerned about our food.
      Any way, if there is just bare earth, slugs and snails do not have any thing
      else than our food to share!

      Slugs eater are some ducks and birds, frogs and toads, lizards and slow-worm,
      shrewmice and an important one: hedgehogs!
      If there are hedgehogs in your vicinity, keep for them an appropriate habitat:
      an undisturbed bushy corner with a pile of branches and leaves.
      You might be lucky to get a familly settling there.

      peace

      Xavier