Re: My first experiment

  • Srinath
    Message 1 of 42 , Sep 7, 2008
      Dear Raju,
      Thanks for your encouragement and suggestion..
      I really look forward for lots of them in my journey of Fukuoka
      farming - from all the Gurus like you here..

      Regards
      Srinath

      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Raju Titus" <rajuktitus@...>
      wrote:

      > Dear friend,
      > I am very happy to learn about courage of doing nothing.This is the
      only way
      > to go.Still near by farmers will laugh on your experiment.With in a
      year you
      > saved lot of water and soil.This is real profit.This small
      experiment will
      > open door of new way of farming.You can mix so many seeds
      > grain,vegetables,fruit trees, wild and semi wild trees.Partap
      Agerwal
      > founder of Fukuoka in India is in Bangalore is doing this type of
      > farming.Please protect land from stray domestic animals.The success
      of your
      > first experiment is due to having no knowledge of farming.
      > Thanks
      > RajuTitus
      >

      > On 9/7/08, Srinath <srinath.hr@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I am not a farmer by profession and my knowledge on agricultire
      is
      > > limited to few pages of understanding from Kindergarten books on
      Eco
      > > friendly farming..
      > > My farm -near Bangalore India, was ploughed once last year...This
      year
      > > I decided not to get it ploughed...Three weeks back - when we were
      > > having good rains, I (along with my younger brother and my 7 year
      old
      > > son) scattered seeds of Horse gram (1 Kg)and green gram (0.25 Kg)
      in a
      > > small portion of the field....I did not make seed balls..
      > > My farm has quite good number of weeds (like crab grass and others
      > > which I dont know)
      > > People laughed at me and pitied my ignorance on subject and
      informed me
      > > that my exercise (scattering seeds without ploughing) was a
      futile one
      > > and I will not get plants and possibly all these seeds will be
      eaten by
      > > birds before they germinate - if at all they do.
      > > I am of the opinion that, since this is my first experiment, I am
      OK
      > > even if 10% of them germinate and grow.
      > >
      > > Since, my field doesnot have fence, the localites normally leave
      their
      > > cows/ sheep for grazing here...I told them about my experiment and
      > > requested them not leave for grazing in the area where seeds were
      > > scattered.
      > >
      > > End of First week :
      > > I went to the field on Saturday with my son and were anxious to
      know
      > > the fate of the seeds...I didnot know even how the one week old
      plants
      > > would like (of Horse gram or green gram).. We started searching
      in the
      > > field.....To our surprise we found little bunch of small similar
      > > looking Shoots- different from their neighbhours..I was sure that
      these
      > > belong to Horse gram variety... I took photos of them...I got it
      > > confirmed that they are indeed Horse gram shoots....There was no
      limit
      > > to my joy....
      > >
      > > End of second week:
      > > The shoots are still alive and little bit grown with 3 to 4
      leaves..
      > > along with it the green gram too has sprouted and had has 2 to 3
      > > leaves..
      > >
      > > I will keep you posted on the weekly progress....
      > >
      > > Srinath

    • Pat D
      Message 42 of 42 , Sep 17, 2008
        fukuoka talked about amaranth in the desert.  my memory could be wrong.  i just found it here, he says amaranth, daikon radish, and succulents for the desert.  link: http://www.context.org/ICLIB/IC14/Fukuoka.htm

        the reason the soil in africa doesnt drain, is that there is so little soil that if it did drain, nothing could grow there for lack of water.  perhaps you can find something that grows in the black cotton rather than try and alter the natural soil which is so well adapted for catching rainwater.  good luck

        From: laurie (Mother Mastiff) <mother@mothermastif f.com>

        Subject: [fukuoka_farming] Re: Kenyan "black cotton soil"

        To: fukuoka_farming@ yahoogroups. com

        Date: Wednesday, September 17, 2008, 6:55 PM

        What are you hoping to get from this garden? People are starting to

        plant Horseradish tree (Moringa) because nearly every part of it

        offers high nutrition for people and cattle.

        laurie (Mother Mastiff)

        Southeastern USA (NC and FL)