My first experiment

  • Srinath
    Message 1 of 42 , Sep 7, 2008
      I am not a farmer by profession and my knowledge on agricultire is
      limited to few pages of understanding from Kindergarten books on Eco
      friendly farming..
      My farm -near Bangalore India, was ploughed once last year...This year
      I decided not to get it ploughed...Three weeks back - when we were
      having good rains, I (along with my younger brother and my 7 year old
      son) scattered seeds of Horse gram (1 Kg)and green gram (0.25 Kg) in a
      small portion of the field....I did not make seed balls..
      My farm has quite good number of weeds (like crab grass and others
      which I dont know)
      People laughed at me and pitied my ignorance on subject and informed me
      that my exercise (scattering seeds without ploughing) was a futile one
      and I will not get plants and possibly all these seeds will be eaten by
      birds before they germinate - if at all they do.
      I am of the opinion that, since this is my first experiment, I am OK
      even if 10% of them germinate and grow.

      Since, my field doesnot have fence, the localites normally leave their
      cows/ sheep for grazing here...I told them about my experiment and
      requested them not leave for grazing in the area where seeds were
      scattered.

      End of First week :
      I went to the field on Saturday with my son and were anxious to know
      the fate of the seeds...I didnot know even how the one week old plants
      would like (of Horse gram or green gram).. We started searching in the
      field.....To our surprise we found little bunch of small similar
      looking Shoots- different from their neighbhours..I was sure that these
      belong to Horse gram variety... I took photos of them...I got it
      confirmed that they are indeed Horse gram shoots....There was no limit
      to my joy....

      End of second week:
      The shoots are still alive and little bit grown with 3 to 4 leaves..
      along with it the green gram too has sprouted and had has 2 to 3
      leaves..

      I will keep you posted on the weekly progress....

      Srinath
    • Pat D
      Message 42 of 42 , Sep 17, 2008
        fukuoka talked about amaranth in the desert.  my memory could be wrong.  i just found it here, he says amaranth, daikon radish, and succulents for the desert.  link: http://www.context.org/ICLIB/IC14/Fukuoka.htm

        the reason the soil in africa doesnt drain, is that there is so little soil that if it did drain, nothing could grow there for lack of water.  perhaps you can find something that grows in the black cotton rather than try and alter the natural soil which is so well adapted for catching rainwater.  good luck

        From: laurie (Mother Mastiff) <mother@mothermastif f.com>

        Subject: [fukuoka_farming] Re: Kenyan "black cotton soil"

        To: fukuoka_farming@ yahoogroups. com

        Date: Wednesday, September 17, 2008, 6:55 PM

        What are you hoping to get from this garden? People are starting to

        plant Horseradish tree (Moringa) because nearly every part of it

        offers high nutrition for people and cattle.

        laurie (Mother Mastiff)

        Southeastern USA (NC and FL)