Re: Red Clay for Seed balls

  • Gloria C. Baikauskas
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 2, 2008
      When Michiko, his assistant, Michiko said that Fukuoka no longer used
      seedballs, but instead was using mudballs.

      Gloria

      Dieter Brand <diebrand@...> wrote:

      > I think the idea of buying red clay for making seedballs was
      probably floated during past discussion in this group.  It is
      unlikely that Fukuoka would have made such a suggestion.  In
      subsequent discussions this idea was further embellished by
      speculations about nutrients in clay etc., thus departing ever
      further from the basic ideas of natural farming.
      > As far as I know, Fukuoka only talks about using "clay in powder
      form", meaning clay from your own land.  The only references to red
      clay I can find in his books are the "red soil" (akatsuji) of the
      subsoil that is left after the "black soil" (kurotsuji) of the
      topsoil has eroded as a consequence of ploughing.  He also talks
      about "kabetsuji" (literally: wall soil), which is clay suitable for
      rammed earth constructions.  I have soil like that, so I know what he
      is talking about.  However, all three terms are used in the context
      of improving soils that have been depleted as a result of
      conventional agriculture.
      > Perhaps we should lay to rest, once and for all, the myth of having
      to buy red clay for making seedballs.  Anyways, there is no need to
      include nutrients or anything fancy in seedballs.  If there is enough
      humidity and air, seeds will germinate in a layer of mulch or even
      between tissue paper without any soil or soil nutrients.  The seeds
      send out roots to find nutrients in the soil.  The amount of
      nutrients that can be included in the seedballs anyway is so small as
      to be insignificant.

    • Gloria C. Baikauskas
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 2, 2008
        This should have read when Michiko was on this list group Michiko said
        that he no longer used seedballs with clay, but instead was making
        mudballs. My granddaughter, Elizabeth, 1 yr., was editing for me.

        Gloria

        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Gloria C. Baikauskas"
        <gloriawb@...> wrote:

        > When Michiko, his assistant, Michiko said that Fukuoka no longer used
        > seedballs, but instead was using mudballs.
        >
        > Gloria
      • langec56
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 5, 2008
          By Mudballs does that mean the same ration for seedballs,3part clay
          or this case mud,2part undisturbed soil, and one part seed?