Re: Red Clay for Seed balls: Getting the clay out

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 1, 2008
      Okay, ....

      What I heard works is digging a bucket of the stuff, wetting it
      thoroughly.. basically till its soup.. and stiring vigorously,
      after 3-5 seconds of settling, pour the water (and suspended particles
      out, leave the stuff on the bottom that has already settled out, (the
      sand and most of the silt)- the clay stays in suspension, and will be
      in the water,...
      the water should be poured into a shallow depression, and it dries,
      and or absorbs into the soil, it will leave behind a clay film,

      repeat until you have enough,.. the more clay in your soils the more
      will come out,,,.. also to add bulk you can shorten the settling out
      period.... which will also depend on how much water and how vigours
      the stirring is......

      this has scientific merit as well, as this is how soil scientist
      determine (exactly) the percentage of clay, sand and silt in the soil,
      there are complex equations that predict this, but that math is beyond
      me currently..

      using potash in the mix should increase the clay colloidal properties,
      and make it suspend better, but it also may casue drying problems....

      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Benjamin Koltai <bkoltai9@...>
      wrote:

      > Stan Helton wrote:
      > > The clay in my backyard doesn't come in powder form ;-)
      > >
      > Mine neither. The clay also isn't in just one area or layer. Whenever
      > I dig in the yard, I come across pieces of clay, some as large as my
      > fist. However, I don't want to just start digging random holes in my
      > yard trying to collect enough clay to use for seed balls. It seems
      that
      > buying a clay would be a lot simpler, since it comes from someone's
      > large unearthed deposit. I figured to buy red clay since it has the
      > extra mineral nutrient. Does anyone know good ways to extract clay
      from
      > my yard without having to dig a random giant holes?
      >
      > -Benjamin

    • Gloria C. Baikauskas
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 2, 2008
        When Michiko, his assistant, Michiko said that Fukuoka no longer used
        seedballs, but instead was using mudballs.

        Gloria

        Dieter Brand <diebrand@...> wrote:

        > I think the idea of buying red clay for making seedballs was
        probably floated during past discussion in this group.  It is
        unlikely that Fukuoka would have made such a suggestion.  In
        subsequent discussions this idea was further embellished by
        speculations about nutrients in clay etc., thus departing ever
        further from the basic ideas of natural farming.
        > As far as I know, Fukuoka only talks about using "clay in powder
        form", meaning clay from your own land.  The only references to red
        clay I can find in his books are the "red soil" (akatsuji) of the
        subsoil that is left after the "black soil" (kurotsuji) of the
        topsoil has eroded as a consequence of ploughing.  He also talks
        about "kabetsuji" (literally: wall soil), which is clay suitable for
        rammed earth constructions.  I have soil like that, so I know what he
        is talking about.  However, all three terms are used in the context
        of improving soils that have been depleted as a result of
        conventional agriculture.
        > Perhaps we should lay to rest, once and for all, the myth of having
        to buy red clay for making seedballs.  Anyways, there is no need to
        include nutrients or anything fancy in seedballs.  If there is enough
        humidity and air, seeds will germinate in a layer of mulch or even
        between tissue paper without any soil or soil nutrients.  The seeds
        send out roots to find nutrients in the soil.  The amount of
        nutrients that can be included in the seedballs anyway is so small as
        to be insignificant.

      • Gloria C. Baikauskas
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 2, 2008
          This should have read when Michiko was on this list group Michiko said
          that he no longer used seedballs with clay, but instead was making
          mudballs. My granddaughter, Elizabeth, 1 yr., was editing for me.

          Gloria

          --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Gloria C. Baikauskas"
          <gloriawb@...> wrote:

          > When Michiko, his assistant, Michiko said that Fukuoka no longer used
          > seedballs, but instead was using mudballs.
          >
          > Gloria
        • langec56
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 5, 2008
            By Mudballs does that mean the same ration for seedballs,3part clay
            or this case mud,2part undisturbed soil, and one part seed?