Re: woodsrunner re: mineralization

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 23, 2008
      Mineralization is a really bad name for the process we are talking about.

      When we talk about trace minerals in soils or plants, we are talking
      about everything besides the big few (O H C N P K, and Ca)
      ie Fe, Na, Mg, Mn, I, Cl, etc. are trace minerals

      These are usually found bound to the clay or SOM, its called cation
      exchange capacity.

      These minerals are also found in basic rocks, but are not available to
      the plants. These are the same things we call vitamins and minerals in
      our nutritional supplements.

      The process of mineralization is actually a biological process. It
      refers to elements being returned to their "natural" state.

      This is N2 gas for Nitrogen, CO2 for Carbon dioxide,
      so this is a loss from the system, but then again, it is these
      processes that keep the bacteria and criters alive and our soil healthy.

      trace minerals aren't part of the mineralization process strangely enough.