Re: [fukuoka_farming] My experiences

  • Dieter Brand
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 23, 2008
      Jeff,

      Thanks for talking about your own experience.� If others were to follow your example, we may be able to get a discussion going about the practical issues we face when attempting natural farming or gardening.

      I think no-till is no magic solution that will solve all problems.� Before the advent of industrial style farming, farmers have known how to improve their soil by incorporating manure etc. and by using a variety of techniques including ploughing.

      It is possible to go no-till from the beginning, but incorporating organic matter can accelerate things.� Each soil is different and there is no one solution that fits all cases.

      But I think it is better to use well cured compost for incorporation in the soil.� I would use non-composted material only for mulching the surface. And even then, there is a limit to the amount one can apply at once.� I never use more than 1 or 2 inches.� If I do put on a thick layer, I also use a layer of compost underneath.� Better to feed the soil with small doses more frequently.� I usually put on another layer of mulch once every 3 months.� You know about N-sequestration.� I think it is not merely theoretical, it can happen with large amounts of C-rich material, incorporated or even as mulch if the material if very fine.� Saw dust, for example, is bound to reduce growth for a year or two unless of course you use fertilizers or manure.

      Also, I don�t want to discourage you, but I think if your soil is as bad as you say it is, it may well take more than a couple of years to improve.� I�m in my 10th year and there is still plenty of scope for improvement.

      I never used any innoculant.� I think with improved SOM, the soil biology will pick up and that problem may just solve itself.

      Dieter