Growing with lead in the soil

  • aesthete_aspirant
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2008
      I live in Granite City,IL. In this city there are 7 steel mills and
      around 30,000 people. Within the last few years construction crews
      have been digging up yards because of this poison in the earth. I'm
      not going to explicate my despise for the way the "commoners" are left
      in the dark while the big businesses are knowingly killing us all
      slowly. I am trying to accept the choices of others while attempting
      to become the change I would like to see in the world. Anyway, I know
      a few people that would try to grow food if they were convinced that
      they would not be poisoning themselves quicker. So i'm looking for an
      answer to growing in this lead polluted soil. I will continue to
      research other sources. I've asked here because I value many of the
      ideas and opinions i've read via fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com.
      Thank you all for caring about the mother of us all and working toward
      giving back. Thank you for any ideas you might send my way concerning
      planting in lead contaminated soil.

      Namaste,
      Brad
    • Gloria C. Baikauskas
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 3, 2008
        Soil remediation can be done with plants. I was actually looking for
        a weed that would do the job when I found this...that scented
        geraniums do it very well. Read this and see what you think. You
        may find more plants that will also help with it. The article also
        mentions Indian mustard and sunflowers.

        http://tinyurl.com/5hp4rc

        Gloria

        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "aesthete_aspirant"
        <aesthete_aspirant@...> wrote:

        > I live in Granite City,IL. In this city there are 7 steel mills
        and
        > around 30,000 people. Within the last few years construction crews
        > have been digging up yards because of this poison in the earth. I'm
        > not going to explicate my despise for the way the "commoners" are
        left
        > in the dark while the big businesses are knowingly killing us all
        > slowly. I am trying to accept the choices of others while
        attempting
        > to become the change I would like to see in the world. Anyway, I
        know
        > a few people that would try to grow food if they were convinced
        that
        > they would not be poisoning themselves quicker. So i'm looking for
        an
        > answer to growing in this lead polluted soil. I will continue to
        > research other sources. I've asked here because I value many of the
        > ideas and opinions i've read via fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
        > Thank you all for caring about the mother of us all and working
        toward
        > giving back. Thank you for any ideas you might send my way
        concerning
        > planting in lead contaminated soil.
        >
        > Namaste,
        > Brad

      • B Kalahan
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 4, 2008
           Thank you very much Gloria. For the word soil remediation put into context, I very greatful. You have helped atleast two gardeners, probably many more by telling me where to start looking. Blessings to all life within and around your being.

                                                                                                          Namaste,
                                                                                                          Brad

        • andarsa33
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 4, 2008
            Brad,

            The bioremediation work of Paul Stamets comes highly recommended:

            http://www.fungi.com/index.html

            In his TED talk he discusses the remarkable bioremediation of severely toxic soil using
            fungi (primarily oyster mushrooms):

            http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/paul_stamets_on_6_ways_mushrooms_can_save_the
            _world.html

            and there is a You Tube bioremediation video of his work:

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BelfLIJErek

            Who knows, he may even be interested in assisting a citywide bioremediation project.

            Mali