Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: Natural Farming for a Living

  • Ben Kobus
    Message 1 of 92 , Aug 2, 2008
      I'm jumping into the discussion without having read all the contributions, but just wish to contribute a thought which might help resolve the issues around human "interference".

      If we reframe the issue considering man as part of nature, not as something more or less alien to nature, with a peculiar gift of intelligence to contribute, this might help.

      This privilege gives man a peculiar responsibility. Enter the notion of stewardship. If I have understood Fukuoka aright, his philosophy is one of humble stewardship, contrasting with the arrogant and hubristic attitutude to human intelligence evinced in the technological or bullying approach to farming. Nature "rewards" this humility by good yields with less effort. In the same way being wise stewards of our selves leads to greater health and vitality, less spending on medical technology, and so on.

      Fukuoka insists that we know nothing and that our responsibility is to listen to nature and to work with it; this embraces the listening to one's own self - body, spirit, so at to be a wise steward of it too. There is no distinction between man and nature, just a difference of gifts.

      There is included in all this the paradox that though it is impossible to understand or know nature (in the way that the techno-scientific approach aspires to and often claims to), our reason nevertheless has a natural role in which it is adequate, and that is to listen and watch and then, in a sort of way, obey the nature of things: things as they are, not as we want them to be or as we try to force them to be. Such obedience leads to the natural consequences of wise stewardship which are health, harmony and abundance.

      Message 92 of 92 , Jun 22, 2009
        -No, the chicken layer pellets are poultry feed for laying hens. It is grain based feed but if you want complete ingredients maybe check the label on the bag at your feed store. Steve G.