Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: Natural Farming for a Living

  • David Keltie
    Message 1 of 92 , Aug 1, 2008
      This is interesting. I think I was too enthusiastic, cutting and
      dropping green manure then mulching with straw. No weeds grew on the
      beds but do grow on the paths between - that's the layout, half acre
      of 1.2 wide beds on contour, deep paths between mulched with woodchip
      in places, otherwise bare earth left to weeds to colonise.

      I can get lots of pinewood chippings to mulch with but that pushes up
      the acidity of the soil. The soil was poor, thus the green manure.
      Other areas are heavy clay - so no green manure but heavy mulching.

      I think I'll cut back on the mulch, let some weeds grow in the beds
      and see how that goes....

      On a separate note, other problems (opportunities...) include
      destruction of seedlings by pigeons, decimation of brassicas by
      cabbage white butterflies and even today a grey squirrel finishing off
      the plums that had initially been attacked by wasps.

      Just glad I'm not doing this commercially! I do have a family to feed
      but I'm anxious for the world they'll grow up so have no option but to
      persevere....

      Thanks, David

      On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 2:59 PM, Anders Skarlind
      <Anders.Skalman@...> wrote:
      > I used to have that problem, along with mold and voles, and almost
      > stopped mulching. But now I am mulching again, in parts thanks to
      > draining my soil. However I don't have the worst kinds of slugs here.
      >
      > I would say that if conditions are moist and slimy under the mulch,
      > it is too thick. I don't think one should strive for mulch thick
      > enough to suppress all weeds. Also a mulch layer of an inch or two
      > (2.5-5 cm) can do much good. Allow some weeds. The slugs may prefer
      > to eat them.
      >
      > Another factor could be layout. I assume you are gardening. Do you
      > have one field or larger plot entirely mulched, or mulched beds with
      > grass (including herbs/weeds etc) between? I think the latter would
      > be preferable, for a more diversified system.
      >
      > I cannot tell whether mulching at all is the way to go in your rainy
      > climate. Perhaps companion plants would be better. I have annual
      > precipitation around 550-600 mm. And friend of mine has perhaps the
      > double and mulches successfully. He uses medium thick mulches, 5-10
      > cm (2-4 inches). Both I and he has colder climate than you.
      >
      > Anders Skarlind, Sweden
      >

      > At 10:32 2008-08-01, you wrote:
      >>My problem with deep mulch - growing annual vegetables on a garden
      >>scale - has been slugs. They love the warm, moist conditions but
      >>prefer the soft growing tips of young plants to the decaying mulch
      >>material.
      >>
      >>This year, I tried Emilia's method of planting more mature plants
      >>raised in pots but the only change was fatter slugs!
      >>
      >>How do others with this problem tackle it?
      >>
      >>My first post here after lurking and learning for several months. l'm
      >>in Western England, near Wales with plenty of rain.
      >>
      >>Still searching for a synergistic agriculture forum.....
      >>
      >>Thanks, David

    • grannis04
      Message 92 of 92 , Jun 22, 2009
        -No, the chicken layer pellets are poultry feed for laying hens. It is grain based feed but if you want complete ingredients maybe check the label on the bag at your feed store. Steve G.