Re: Agrochemicals and Natural Farming [1]

  • Gloria C. Baikauskas
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 3, 2008
      Dieter, I see your point, and then some. It is sad that we must
      wonder even about the water we use on our gardens knowing so much of
      it is contaminated with prescription drugs, and more, from public
      water utilities.

      I don't use them myself, but I do give advice on them when asked. I
      have a hard enough time convincing people not to use even organic
      insect sprays. I keep telling them that, if they start, they will
      never be able to stop because predator insects reproduce so much more
      slowly than the bad insects do causing an imbalance in the garden
      that takes for ever to right....and then only if they stop spraying.
      Sprays are equal opportunity killers, except......

      I read another article at Scientific American about a teenage boy
      with his science fair project. He was trying to help his grandmother
      with her aphid problems. He used extracts from some weeds....and I
      didn't copy it, so I can't remember which ones....and sprayed the
      plants with it. It killed only the aphids, not any of the worms, nor
      the lady beetles, etc. I found that promising.

      Myself, I use weeds as traps for insects having found that when I
      leave weeds, as I have said before, I don't have a problem with the
      insects bothering my veggies, etc. Of course I don't spray, so I
      have a balance I believe. It hasn't stopped the hordes of
      grasshoppers in this heat and dry weather, though. And, as we all
      know interplanting makes a huge difference in the garden, or on the
      farm.

      Gloria, Texas
    • Lauri Chambers