Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: Natural Farming for a Living

  • john
    Message 1 of 92 , Aug 1 12:49 PM
      Now I'm just a gardener hoping to pick up some tips from this group.
      I'm no expert, but I've been growing vegetables for about 30 years.

      Slugs can be trapped in beer.

      And there is an iron based product that claims to attract and kill
      them. Or you can go out at night and collect them. Vinegar mixed
      in water and sprayed on them might help. Toads?

      John

      On Aug 1, 2008, at 4:32 AM, David Keltie wrote:

      > My problem with deep mulch - growing annual vegetables on a garden
      > scale - has been slugs. They love the warm, moist conditions but
      > prefer the soft growing tips of young plants to the decaying mulch
      > material.
      >
      > This year, I tried Emilia's method of planting more mature plants
      > raised in pots but the only change was fatter slugs!
      >
      > How do others with this problem tackle it?
      >
      > My first post here after lurking and learning for several months. l'm
      > in Western England, near Wales with plenty of rain.
      >
      > Still searching for a synergistic agriculture forum.....
      >
      > Thanks, David
      >
      > On 7/30/08, Steven Smith <twofriendsfarm@...> wrote:
      > > Dieter and friends,
      > >
      > > Check out http://www.cedarmeadowfarm.com/. Steve Groff has been
      > growing
      > > deep mulch on his farm for about 15 years now in a no-till vegetable
      > > rotation. This is commercial scale farming.

    • grannis04
      Message 92 of 92 , Jun 22, 2009
        -No, the chicken layer pellets are poultry feed for laying hens. It is grain based feed but if you want complete ingredients maybe check the label on the bag at your feed store. Steve G.