Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: Natural Farming for a Living

  • Anders Skarlind
    Message 1 of 92 , Aug 1, 2008
      I used to have that problem, along with mold and voles, and almost
      stopped mulching. But now I am mulching again, in parts thanks to
      draining my soil. However I don't have the worst kinds of slugs here.

      I would say that if conditions are moist and slimy under the mulch,
      it is too thick. I don't think one should strive for mulch thick
      enough to suppress all weeds. Also a mulch layer of an inch or two
      (2.5-5 cm) can do much good. Allow some weeds. The slugs may prefer
      to eat them.

      Another factor could be layout. I assume you are gardening. Do you
      have one field or larger plot entirely mulched, or mulched beds with
      grass (including herbs/weeds etc) between? I think the latter would
      be preferable, for a more diversified system.

      I cannot tell whether mulching at all is the way to go in your rainy
      climate. Perhaps companion plants would be better. I have annual
      precipitation around 550-600 mm. And friend of mine has perhaps the
      double and mulches successfully. He uses medium thick mulches, 5-10
      cm (2-4 inches). Both I and he has colder climate than you.

      Anders Skarlind, Sweden

      At 10:32 2008-08-01, you wrote:
      >My problem with deep mulch - growing annual vegetables on a garden
      >scale - has been slugs. They love the warm, moist conditions but
      >prefer the soft growing tips of young plants to the decaying mulch
      >material.
      >
      >This year, I tried Emilia's method of planting more mature plants
      >raised in pots but the only change was fatter slugs!
      >
      >How do others with this problem tackle it?
      >
      >My first post here after lurking and learning for several months. l'm
      >in Western England, near Wales with plenty of rain.
      >
      >Still searching for a synergistic agriculture forum.....
      >
      >Thanks, David
    • grannis04
      Message 92 of 92 , Jun 22, 2009
        -No, the chicken layer pellets are poultry feed for laying hens. It is grain based feed but if you want complete ingredients maybe check the label on the bag at your feed store. Steve G.