Urgent!

  • reuben
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 23, 2008
      Hi! I am Yocoa and a new member of this forum. I am currently living
      in central Japan... I have been searching here for some farmers who
      use the 'Fukuoka Farming Method' but with no avail. I would really
      appreciate if someone can introduce me or recommend me such a place
      anywhere in Japan. It would be great if i could directly contact Mr.
      Fukuoka or any of his students in order to learn it from them. I would
      really appreciate any information. LOVE!
    • robin
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 26, 2008
        dear yocoa...

        welcome! i don't know how you can get in touch with any one. but if you
        read "one straw revolution" and "the natural way of farming" you will
        pretty much have the information and inspiration to do natural
        farming. but--there is no "urgent" in natural farming. it takes a long
        time to get your soil built up and soft enough to get good healthy
        happy crops consistently. it takes a lot of seeds to get your ground
        cover (cover crops) covering everything without a lot of weeds such as
        crab grass, honey suckle, etc. taking over. in those areas i have been
        raking back the mulch, cutting them (or as much as i can get), seeding
        with rye, or other cover crops, and then recovering with more and
        deeper mulch. i think that if you go ahead and farm while honoring the
        basic principles which are no cultivation, no fertilizer, no weeding
        (pulling or digging of weeds), and no pesticides, you should be fine.

        if you can replace the weeds with other weeds, such as clover, rye,
        buckwheat or other cover crops, that is an indication that your soil
        is improved. when you cut weeds for mulch, i recommend dropping them
        where you cut them or slightly down the line from where you cut them,
        or, if you have two fields that you cut, you can switch the mulches,
        if that makes sense, in order to insure your next crop is disease
        free. i've found that if you take the mulch from one area and take it
        to another, no matter how much excess you may think that area has,
        that area will dry out. fukuoka-san said that a given area makes the
        amount of vegetation that it needs, the perfect amount. so be sure to
        cut the mulch and leave it very near where you cut it, and over time,
        things will begin to be more predictable and stable.

        what i do is start on the outside boundaries and make rounds lightly
        raking (hand rake), cutting (hand scythe or scissors) and dropping
        mulch, spiraling inward to the center of the garden.

        hope that helps some. sorry that cars and things to do with cars and
        engines and transportation seems to be the only thing that most people
        care about anymore. making and riding and loving cars seems to be what
        people in japan are doing mostly, if i've got my information right.
        same thing in usa. a "transportation economy". seems to be moving
        cargo from one spot to another and letting places dry out is the mode
        of life these days...sorry to be so ironic and pessimistic.

        there are a few of us who think the opposite way. maybe more folks
        will join us soon, or maybe not. no matter. you are blessed to have a
        mind open to natural ways.

        ************robin

        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "reuben" <yocoa@...> wrote:

        > Hi! I am Yocoa and a new member of this forum. I am currently living
        > in central Japan... I have been searching here for some farmers who
        > use the 'Fukuoka Farming Method' but with no avail. I would really
        > appreciate if someone can introduce me or recommend me such a place
        > anywhere in Japan. It would be great if i could directly contact Mr.
        > Fukuoka or any of his students in order to learn it from them. I would
        > really appreciate any information. LOVE!

      • Dieter Brand
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 26, 2008
          Yocoa,

          Fukuoka hasn�t accepted any internship for at least 20 years.� He is 96 and has suffered a heart attack recently.

          There are different schools of Natural Farming (Shizen-nou, Shizen-nouhou) in Japan.� If you read Japanese you can subscribe to mailing lists about Natural Farming in Japan.� I subscribe to a number of MLs on the Mixi server.� There are two about Fukuoka, one about Kawaguchi and one about Natural Farming in general.� Most are not very active, but if you post a question about NF contacts in Japan you should be able to get some replies.

          Kawaguchi is also teaching his method, I can�t tell off hand where, but if you are interested, I can try and check it out.� I also came across the announcement for an illustrated book about different farmers practicing NF in Japan.� Again, if you want to know, I can try to get the information.

          Dieter Brand
          Portugal

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 30, 2008
            Hi there! Thanks you very much Dieter and Robin for your advise. Yes,
            I am learning now how to interact with weeds, grasses and the land. My
            father in law is a farmer but he doesn't want to farm organically
            because he belongs to a union and it is hard to sell the products into
            the mainstream market. Yes, i do speak some Japanese but my reading
            abilities are a little bit limited. So far, i know of an organic (not
            sure Fukuoka)farm in Kyushu. I would really appreciate if you can help
            me get some information on the Kawaguchi and Fukuoka... You know, I am
            not a MIXI member and i know that one must be invited to belong to
            such network. I have some friends so i will ask them to invite me...
            Thanks again! Peace!