Re: Natural Farming for a Living

  • Lee
    Message 1 of 92 , Jul 20, 2008
      Thanks for your reply Steven. I do understand what you mean when you
      say that other's will typically not consider a life of scarcity.
      Still, there are benefits to not having a car. They are greatly
      explained in books on car free living, such as Chris Balish's
      book, "How to live well without owning a car" (not without using a
      car, per se). It is a matter of opinion, and the cliche of viewing
      the glass half full or half empty seems apropriate here.

      I have not yet firmly established what I consider appropriate
      technology for "my" life. I do lean in certain directions and have
      ideas, but having yet to find a mate makes it tougher for me to
      decide on "grey areas". Some ecological choices are easy, but some
      are tougher and have a widespread impact on one's life. Choices,
      choices, I'm stuck.

      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Steven Smith
      <twofriendsfarm@...> wrote:

      > We are Quaker and simplicity is one of our core values. But
      simplicity does not necessarily mean a life of scarcity. As we
      continue to perfect our farm we are working toward never having to
      start an engine, but making hay for winter forage and pushing snow in
      winter still require it. We follow Natural Farming principles--no
      tilling, no chemicals, no artificial soil amendments, no bare soil,
      planting mutually supportive polycultures--and always asking
      ourselves Fukuoka's question "how about not doing this or not doing
      that." From a Systems Thinking standpoint this means discovering
      what element has been removed from the natural system that is
      requiring my labor and attention to replace it, and finding a
      manageable way to reintroduce that natural element and eliminate my
      work. The particular practices of Natural Farming change with the
      geographic and ecological setting of course, but that is what makes
      it fun, discovering how to apply them to our
      > particular situation. But we earn a living. We will send our
      kids to college. We have phones, and a car, and wireless access. In
      fact my work has led me to believe that unless I can demonstrate to
      my neighbors that this is a life of abundance rather than one of
      scarcity they will be much less inclined to consider learning to
      steward the Earth in this way, and the urgency with which we need to
      teach more how to live this way increases daily.

      > Hey all, I would find it helpful if posters regularly indicated
      there location in their post. It helps me frame their queries and
      any suggestions I might be able to offer. Thanks

      > Steve Smith
      > Two Friends Farm
      > 2934 250th Street
      > Marshalltown, IA 50158
      > twofriendsfarm@...
      > 641-751-2851

      I feel
      > comfortable that I will have a lot more connections in the
      community to
      > support my family through it - AND I can pay the lease on the land
      this way!

      > This statement is heresy on this list but you may feel more
      comfortable
      > starting from a permaculture perspective. There is a large social
      network in
      > permaculture and it encompasses many of Natural Farmings ideals - no
      > chemicals, working with nature, using handtools instead of
      powertools -
      > subsistence living to a large extent. But it also acknowledges our
      current
      > cultural environment and the need to 'Obtain a Yield' (one of the 12
      > principles of permaculture) so that you can survive in this world.
      For me,
      > the pesto is my yield, then as people are opened to the idea of
      using the
      > native spinach, just the leaves will be and then ... we'll see.
      Permaculture
      > also shows lots of options for heating, cooling etc outside the
      usual realm
      > so there is a raft of self education you can do in the meantime. I
      think
      > Toby Hemingway's book Gaia's Garden seems to be the preferred one
      in the US
      > as a starting point - it should be in the local library.
      >
      > Go for your goal. I believe you need a social network and online
      may not be
      > enough. Search out the area you want to buy land in and see if you
      can
      > connect with people in the community by attending farmers markets
      and
      > similar events. Talk to the locals - you will then find out if the
      community
      > suits you before spending all your money on the land.
      >
      > Good luck and all the best, Linda

      I'm
      > able to even subsist on it?
      >
      > Which brings up a good point. Should I only expect/desire to live
      at
      > a subsitance level, and not trasport produce? I see the benefits in
      > living such a life, but I fear being lonely and disconnected from
      my
      > relatives.
      >
      > I've considered joining a commune in order to meet my social needs,
      > but I feel that I will be limited in the amount of choices that I
      > will be able to make concerning the layout of the farm, and so on.
      > Maybe I'm being a bit selfish in that respect, and should see that
      > some trade-off must exist in order to share my life with others.
      >
      > Back to the hands-on experience. I do need to learn. I have some
      > knowledge about plants and the soil, and a bit of experience with
      > livestock, but when it comes to real natural farming, I do not have
      > any experience. Aside from my fears concerning financial issues, I
      > know that I do not "yet" have enough knowledge and experience to
      > natural farm at even a subsistence level with any certainty.
      >
      > Any advice would be much appreciated, even though some of my
      > questions go beyond the realm of natural farming in some ways.

    • grannis04
      Message 92 of 92 , Jun 22, 2009
        -No, the chicken layer pellets are poultry feed for laying hens. It is grain based feed but if you want complete ingredients maybe check the label on the bag at your feed store. Steve G.