Re: [fukuoka_farming] Natural Farming for a Living

  • Steven Smith
    Message 1 of 92 , Jul 16, 2008
      We are Quaker and simplicity is one of our core values. But simplicity does not necessarily mean a life of scarcity. As we continue to perfect our farm we are working toward never having to start an engine, but making hay for winter forage and pushing snow in winter still require it. We follow Natural Farming principles--no tilling, no chemicals, no artificial soil amendments, no bare soil, planting mutually supportive polycultures--and always asking ourselves Fukuoka's question "how about not doing this or not doing that." From a Systems Thinking standpoint this means discovering what element has been removed from the natural system that is requiring my labor and attention to replace it, and finding a manageable way to reintroduce that natural element and eliminate my work. The particular practices of Natural Farming change with the geographic and ecological setting of course, but that is what makes it fun, discovering how to apply them to our
      particular situation. But we earn a living. We will send our kids to college. We have phones, and a car, and wireless access. In fact my work has led me to believe that unless I can demonstrate to my neighbors that this is a life of abundance rather than one of scarcity they will be much less inclined to consider learning to steward the Earth in this way, and the urgency with which we need to teach more how to live this way increases daily.

      Hey all, I would find it helpful if posters regularly indicated there location in their post. It helps me frame their queries and any suggestions I might be able to offer. Thanks

      Steve Smith
      Two Friends Farm
      2934 250th Street
      Marshalltown, IA 50158

      Message 92 of 92 , Jun 22, 2009
        -No, the chicken layer pellets are poultry feed for laying hens. It is grain based feed but if you want complete ingredients maybe check the label on the bag at your feed store. Steve G.