Re: Natural Farming for a Living

  • Lee
    Message 1 of 92 , Jul 16, 2008
      Linda and Kiko, I would like to thank both of you for
      replying to my post. I would also like to thank anyone else that
      read my long thread. Yes, it is too long, sorry.

      Kiko, thanks for mentioning Joel Salatin. I've actually read one of
      his books, pastured poultry. I also have his other books saved on my
      wishlist. I'm also glad to hear from a guy that has the same dream.

      Linda, thanks for reminding me of the importance of waiting for a
      mate that has the same ideals concerning money and material things.
      You are right. I've been aware of the importance of this, but I've
      considered waivering and weakening on my dreams of simplicity for a
      slightly more mainstream life. I realize that I should not do that.
      I would be compromising my beliefs if I did so. Also, I do plan to
      read some books on permaculture. I have some of Toby Hemingway's
      books on my wishlist, as well as books by Bill Mollison and other
      authors. I am also interested in taking a permaculture course. It
      may be heresy here to promote permaculture, but if I remember
      correctly, in One Straw Revolution Fukuoka mentioned learning how to
      natural farm by going to communes in the desserts of the US that
      practice permaculture. Linda, I would also like to ad that it is
      encouraging to read a reply from a woman that is interested in simple
      living when I'm rarely seeing such women in my everyday life.
      Basically, thanks for encouraging me that there are some women that
      crave simple living. Also, I do like your advice to begin meeting
      people in the area where I plan to buy land. I'm currently trying to
      decide where I should buy. Originally, I planned to buy land outside
      of Austin, but it is quite expensive. Another thing is that while
      Austin has wonderful farmer's markets, and lots of people buying
      organic, it is too urban for me there. I feel out of place. On the
      other hand, I've spent some time in west Texas, and I do like the
      slower pace of life that people live in west Texas. Now, the far
      west is a bit too dry for my plans, but I'm going to go searching
      west of Forth Worth for sure. Oh, speaking of dry climates, I
      believe that I was first introduced to permaculture on the net when I
      watched a video clip called Greening the Desert. I searched the net
      for regreening the desert after reading what Fukuoka wrote about
      desertification, and I saw permaculture on the net for the first
      time. I do like the idea of fighting desertification.

      How about more talk on subsistence farming.

      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Linda Shewan"
      <linda_shewan@...> wrote:

      > Hi Lee,
      >

      > First up - I chose a man who can give me pretty much whatever we
      need in
      > terms of comfort - but he can't be happy with the simplicity I
      crave meaning
      > there is a constant 'gap' in our relationship. We are looking
      forward to the
      > future where we may meet - where he feels financially secure enough
      > simplify - isn't that concept strange... Trust me, find yourself a
      partner
      > that will be happy with, indeed craves, the simple life. Believe
      me, there
      > are some of us out there...
      >

      > Don't try and go all out in one go, keep the laptop and keep
      connected
      > online with people like us. If you grow excess and sell at a local
      market
      > you will also stay connected that way. It doesn't take a lot. I
      have started
      > making a pesto with native spinach that grows like a weed (perfect
      for
      > natural farming) and my local connections are slowly but surely
      growing with
      > it. I am still in the money economy but by the time that collapses
      I feel
      > comfortable that I will have a lot more connections in the
      community to
      > support my family through it - AND I can pay the lease on the land
      this way!

      > This statement is heresy on this list but you may feel more
      comfortable
      > starting from a permaculture perspective. There is a large social
      network in
      > permaculture and it encompasses many of Natural Farmings ideals - no
      > chemicals, working with nature, using handtools instead of
      powertools -
      > subsistence living to a large extent. But it also acknowledges our
      current
      > cultural environment and the need to 'Obtain a Yield' (one of the 12
      > principles of permaculture) so that you can survive in this world.
      For me,
      > the pesto is my yield, then as people are opened to the idea of
      using the
      > native spinach, just the leaves will be and then ... we'll see.
      Permaculture
      > also shows lots of options for heating, cooling etc outside the
      usual realm
      > so there is a raft of self education you can do in the meantime. I
      think
      > Toby Hemingway's book Gaia's Garden seems to be the preferred one
      in the US
      > as a starting point - it should be in the local library.
      >

      > Go for your goal. I believe you need a social network and online
      may not be
      > enough. Search out the area you want to buy land in and see if you
      can
      > connect with people in the community by attending farmers markets
      and
      > similar events. Talk to the locals - you will then find out if the
      community
      > suits you before spending all your money on the land.
      >

      > Good luck and all the best, Linda

      I'm
      > able to even subsist on it?
      >
      > Which brings up a good point. Should I only expect/desire to live
      at
      > a subsitance level, and not trasport produce? I see the benefits in
      > living such a life, but I fear being lonely and disconnected from
      my
      > relatives.
      >
      > I've considered joining a commune in order to meet my social needs,
      > but I feel that I will be limited in the amount of choices that I
      > will be able to make concerning the layout of the farm, and so on.
      > Maybe I'm being a bit selfish in that respect, and should see that
      > some trade-off must exist in order to share my life with others.
      >
      > Back to the hands-on experience. I do need to learn. I have some
      > knowledge about plants and the soil, and a bit of experience with
      > livestock, but when it comes to real natural farming, I do not have
      > any experience. Aside from my fears concerning financial issues, I
      > know that I do not "yet" have enough knowledge and experience to
      > natural farm at even a subsistence level with any certainty.
      >
      > Any advice would be much appreciated, even though some of my
      > questions go beyond the realm of natural farming in some ways.

    • grannis04
      Message 92 of 92 , Jun 22, 2009
        -No, the chicken layer pellets are poultry feed for laying hens. It is grain based feed but if you want complete ingredients maybe check the label on the bag at your feed store. Steve G.