Natural Farming for a Living

  • Lee
    Message 1 of 92 , Jul 15 8:31 PM
      Back in 2004 I discovered organic farming. At that time the higher
      prices payed for organic produce restored my childhood hope to farm
      for a living. I then went on to discover various methods of farming
      on small organic farms. As my knowledge progressed, I began to
      desire to farm with less and less technology, or farm equipment.

      My first plans were to farm with a small used tractor and used
      implements. Then, in December of 2005 in an issue of American Small
      Farm I read an article about how one man still farmed with horses.
      He was also a professor, and explained the economics of horse
      farming, and all of the numerous benefits. I was excited to discover
      that it was still profitable and functional, especially since I had a
      background of breaking colts. I felt like I could combine my love
      for horses with a passion for organic farming, and everything would
      be wonderful.

      Well, in the coming months I subsicribed to a journal and a magazine
      about farming with horses and oxen. I learned a bit more and was
      further encouraged. Then, during the spring of 2006 while digging on
      the internet for more organic farming information I read about
      permaculture and no till gardening. Also, that spring in an issue of
      Acres USA I seen one of Masanobu Fukuoka's books the One Straw
      Revolution mentioned. The title of the book and a few words
      describing it stayed on my memmory. In the spring of 2007 I
      purchased the book. I was taken away by the wisdom in Fukuoka's
      methods, and his devotion for being in harmony with nature. At that
      point I changed my mind about wanting to farm with animals and till
      up the land.

      Since then I've been working an average of 60 hours a week in order
      to save money to purchase farmland. In about a years time I have
      managed to save thousands. Not hundreds of thousands, but tens of
      thousands, thanks to a career opportunity in construction.

      Nevertheless, this is certainly not a career that I want to spend my
      life in. I am still working towards my goal of farming for a living.

      I do have some concerns though. My biggest concern is whether or not
      I will be able to earn a sufficient income to meet my needs. Now, I
      am aware that a living a life of natural farming is more than just
      farming techniques, but a way of life that is more natural and
      simplified. I welcome the idea of further simplifying my life, and
      I am interested in voluntary simplicity. I currently live debt free,
      and TV free, but the rest of my life is that of a typical "tight"
      spend-thrift american. The problem arises for me when I consider the
      fact that I would like to provide finacially for a spouse. I'm
      currently single, and have no prospect, but I do worry about this. I
      also worry that I will not be able to find a spouse that would be
      happy living a life of great simplicity.

      I can see that living without electricity and living car-free would
      drastically reduce my expenses, but what about transporting my
      produce to the market? What about my social needs (though I'm a bit
      of an introvert), and what about the desires of a potential spouse?

      I'm beggining to question at this point whether or not I must choose
      between a life of natural farming, and providing financially for a
      life partner. Choosing to live off-the-grid is not tough for me, but
      choosing to live without solar panels, a laptop, a cell phone, and a
      fridge is tough for me. I know that I can do without these things if
      I must, but will I meet a woman in America that desires to live such
      a life? Then, there's living car-free, transporting produce, and so
      on.

      I guess that I'm asking for some direction, and a bit of
      encouragement.

      I also need some hands-on experience with natural forming before I'm
      able to even subsist on it?

      Which brings up a good point. Should I only expect/desire to live at
      a subsitance level, and not trasport produce? I see the benefits in
      living such a life, but I fear being lonely and disconnected from my
      relatives.

      I've considered joining a commune in order to meet my social needs,
      but I feel that I will be limited in the amount of choices that I
      will be able to make concerning the layout of the farm, and so on.
      Maybe I'm being a bit selfish in that respect, and should see that
      some trade-off must exist in order to share my life with others.

      Back to the hands-on experience. I do need to learn. I have some
      knowledge about plants and the soil, and a bit of experience with
      livestock, but when it comes to real natural farming, I do not have
      any experience. Aside from my fears concerning financial issues, I
      know that I do not "yet" have enough knowledge and experience to
      natural farm at even a subsistence level with any certainty.

      Any advice would be much appreciated, even though some of my
      questions go beyond the realm of natural farming in some ways.
    • grannis04
      Message 92 of 92 , Jun 22, 2009
        -No, the chicken layer pellets are poultry feed for laying hens. It is grain based feed but if you want complete ingredients maybe check the label on the bag at your feed store. Steve G.