Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: zero tillage

  • Raju Titus
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 5 9:50 PM
      Dear Nandan,
      Seeds of legumes germinate in the grass cover without sun light but
      sufficient moisture is required. But after germination small
      seedlings will not come out without sun light in this stage cut grass
      and spread over germinating seeds.
      Raju

    • Nandan Palaparambil
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 6 10:05 PM
        Dear Raju,

        Thanks for this really valuable input. I will follow this method and will get back with the results soon.

        I am doing this farm management sitting at a distance of 500KMs. But I could broadcast the seeds myself when I visited the place. I have asked the person who works in the farm to follow this method, but we have to wait and see how he manages that.

        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 8 8:49 AM
          Seeds dont need to touch soil to germinate.  Here in the U.S. in grammar school the first science projects they do is beans in a paper towel.  The bean or Grass seed sprouts and sends out a taproot right through the papertowel.  They put a papertowel in a cup or a jar.  They then wet it and place a seed in the cup, between the paper towel.  The paper towel gives the seed moisture as well as regulate humidity which all seeds have to have in order to sprout.

          To understand natural way of farming one should see how seeds

          germinate in nature. Most of the natural seeds germinate on the top of

          the soil .The ecology of untiled ,covered soil is different.But it is

          true that naked seeds are generally eaten by rats,birds,insects. Seed

          balls,mulch, sowing in line,dibbling are few do nothing methods which

          helps in sowing.

          Green cover of grass is helpful we scattered directly seeds in the

          cover of grass and after germination we cut back and mulch loosely it

          in the same place.

          Raju

          On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 1:28 AM, mypovertymountain

          <fullcircleherbs@ gmail.com> wrote:

          > If you don't ever till then how do you initially break up the soil to

          > get th eseeds in? Do you mulch for a time to break down the grass?

          > Thanks,

          > Cyn

          > --- In fukuoka_farming@ yahoogroups. com, "Raju Titus" <rajuktitus@ ...>

          > wrote:

          >> Dear friend,

          >> Digging,tilling, plowing is unnecessary and very harmful to the ecology

          >> of land. If land is covered by green or dry mulch it is become porous

          >> by the activity of so many insects,animals. Tilled fine soil chokes

          >> porosity of the land is do not allow rain water to go in side it

          >> flows and washes top soil (fertility).

          >> Raju

          >> On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 9:31 PM, JSENT <wegrow4@... > wrote:

          >> > "Basic thing in natural farming is zero tillage."

          >> > Greetings, Raju,

          >> > Would you consider loosely digging/ turning soil with a shovel or

          > spading

          >> > fork to be tilling? Thanks for your response.

          >> > kind regards,

          >> > jake

          >> > www.grandprairiefoo d.com

        • ml1
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 27 9:39 AM
            I tried overseeding turnip onto pasture and grazing real heavy with cows
            to knock back the grass to give them a chance. But very few germinated
            and those that did faired poorly. The same seed on tilled soil did fine.
            Would I have gotten better germination with seedballs?

            I also planted some amaranth on a paddock I intentionally tilled with
            pigs. I had good germination on open soil but no germination on areas
            that still retained some grass.

            I'd really love to be able to establish annuals on pasture. I'd love to
            hear from anyone who was been able to do it successfully.

            Thanks,

            Pete
            Kansas, USA

            lucia@... wrote:

> [...]
            > ground
            > > first, with little success, even wrapping the seeds in clay. So, I have
            > > thought it necessary to disturb the soil in some way first to weaken the
            > > vegetation to allow the weaker (because more developed for particular
            > > characteristics) vegetable seeds to get a head start. But all the
            > cycles of
            > > life in the soil that are destroyed, the untold billions of micro- and
            > > macro-organisms that die as a result seems too heavy a price to pay.
            > >
            > > So I´d like to suggest that if you have some grassland you wish to
            > turn over
            > > to vegetables then the best way is to ensure that no seeds of the
            > current
            > > years plants are allowed to set seed and instead, at the best moment for
            > > each plant you wish to seed, you cut back the grasses and wild herbs and
            > > seed large amounts of what you wish to grow (seedballing would
            > reduce the
            > > amount of seeds you might need but takes extra time to do).
            > Therefore with
            > > the no new seeds of the wild plants on the surface, and the
            > vegetation cut
            > > back to the ground, the seeds you cast will have a chance to grow.
            > Depending
            > > on the size and type of seed you´re using you might be able to
            > spread the
            > > cut vegetation over your seeds, this helps protect them from birds
            > and helps
            > > retain moisture, accelerating their germination.
            > >
            > > These are just some thoughts from my own observations, I offer them as
            > > suggestions and not as definitive answers, indeed Natural Farming
            > will never
            > > be the same in every place and Fukuoka´s work is an inspiration and
            > not a
            > > template, I think we sometimes forget that.
            > >
            > > Good Luck
            > >
            > > Jamie
            > > Mas Franch
            > >
            > > On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 7:29 AM, Raju Titus <rajuktitus@...
            > <mailto:rajuktitus%40gmail.com>> wrote:
            > >
            > > > Dear friends,
            > > > To understand natural way of farming one should see how seeds
            > > > germinate in nature. Most of the natural seeds germinate on the top of
            > > > the soil .The ecology of untiled ,covered soil is different.But it is
            > > > true that naked seeds are generally eaten by rats,birds,insects. Seed
            > > > balls,mulch,sowing in line,dibbling are few do nothing methods which
            > > > helps in sowing.
            > > > Green cover of grass is helpful we scattered directly seeds in the
            > > > cover of grass and after germination we cut back and mulch loosely it
            > > > in the same place.
            > > > Raju
            > > >
            > > > On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 1:28 AM, mypovertymountain
            > > > <fullcircleherbs@... <mailto:fullcircleherbs%40gmail.com>
            > soil to

            > <mailto:fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com><fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com>,

          • Dieter Brand
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 28 3:19 PM
              Pete,

              I have successfully used a mixture of rye and vetch in an existing stand of weeds and grass.  In the South of Portugal, we usually get enough rain in November for direct broadcasting of winter annuals even without coating the seeds.  Check the weather forecast: if you can get 3 to 5 consecutive days of rain, you stand good chances that your seeds will germinate before ants, rodents and birds can get to them.  Other seeds that work in an existing grass sod are lupines and faba beans.  But you need to drill the faba beans into the ground or they will be eaten.

              Dieter

              lucia@... wrote:

> [...]
              > >
              > > > Dear friends,
              > > > To understand natural way of farming one should see how seeds
              > > > germinate in nature. Most of the natural seeds germinate on the top of
              > > > the soil .The ecology of untiled ,covered soil is different.But it is
              > > > true that naked seeds are generally eaten by rats,birds,insects. Seed
              > > > balls,mulch, sowing in line,dibbling are few do nothing methods which
              > > > helps in sowing.
              > > > Green cover of grass is helpful we scattered directly seeds in the
              > > > cover of grass and after germination we cut back and mulch loosely it
              > > > in the same place.
              > > > Raju
              > > >
              > > > On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 1:28 AM, mypovertymountain
              > > > <fullcircleherbs@ gmail.com <mailto:fullcircleh erbs%40gmail. com>
              > soil to

              > <mailto:fukuoka_ farming%40yahoog roups.com> <fukuoka_ farming%40yahoog roups.com> ,

            • Steven Smith
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 30 9:07 AM
                I attended a field day last night at a friend's farm here in central Iowa. Craig has inter seeded turnips into their corn and soybean fields before canopy to improve the nutritional quality of the stover for winter grazing. Despite the heavy shade of the now six foot tall corn the turnips seem to have germinated well. Craig has been advised that after the corn comes off in late September to early October that the turnips will continue to grow and then be available to the stock he'll turn out in late November.

                Another attender of the field day has been over seeding his pastures with rape, the annual oil seed, for some years and states that every thing he produces--cattle, lamb, poultry and especially hogs--seem to love it. I think he is drilling it. And Craig cultivated after broadcasting the turnip seed, so good seed to soil contact seems to be the key. We were also told of a farmer in NE Iowa who has been drilling in annual turnips and winter wheat to improve the nutrition of his permanent pastures. Turnips improve the stocking for winter forage, the winter wheat makes a great early spring graze, and he also lets the wheat head out and harvests a portion. I have an organic dairy farmer friend who is feeding wheat as a grain supplement to his fresh cows, so I don't see why it couldn't be drilled into pasture, grazed, and a portion harvested as grain.

                The key to good germ seems to be knocking back the perennials through close grazing or mowing and good soil to seed contact by either trampling with stock or drilling.

                Steve Smith
                Two Friends Farm, Iowa
                641-751-2851

                lucia@... wrote:

> [...]
                > >
                > > > Dear friends,
                > > > To understand natural way of farming one should see how seeds
                > > > germinate in nature. Most of the natural seeds germinate on the top of
                > > > the soil .The ecology of untiled ,covered soil is different.But it is
                > > > true that naked seeds are generally eaten by rats,birds,insects. Seed
                > > > balls,mulch, sowing in line,dibbling are few do nothing methods which
                > > > helps in sowing.
                > > > Green cover of grass is helpful we scattered directly seeds in the
                > > > cover of grass and after germination we cut back and mulch loosely it
                > > > in the same place.
                > > > Raju
                > > >
                > > > On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 1:28 AM, mypovertymountain
                > > > <fullcircleherbs@ gmail.com <mailto:fullcircleh erbs%40gmail. com>
                > soil to

                > <mailto:fukuoka_ farming%40yahoog roups.com> <fukuoka_ farming%40yahoog roups.com> ,

              • michael
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 8, 2008
                  Friends,

                  the degree to which you adhere to (organic) zero tillage depends on
                  how long you've got. If time is no problem, and if alien pasture
                  grasses are your problem, cutting the grasses (to 15cm) and
                  broadcasting your seed will eventually work. If you want it to take
                  less than a decade, you can burn the brown grasses in the early
                  Spring and drill your seed, cutting the grasses to 15cm then until
                  your seedlings get established. You get the carbon of the burning
                  and the inhibition of the mowing.

                  Golden rod can only be gotten rid of by mowing. It inhibits the
                  germination of other plants.

                  Amaranth is very common naturally (here) in burned and mowed fields.
                  If you want the cultivated variety of amaranth, drill seeds of that.
                  It's offspring will hybridize with the wild in the seed bank but the
                  heads will generally be on the large size of the cultivated, at least
                  for years. We get amaranth popping in all kinds of places even
                  though we seeded only once. We eat the leaves green and steamed.
                  The grain goes into bread with a large tithe for the birds in Winter.

                  - Michael