As oil prices surge, a village cycles and car-pools the way out

  • parmbir
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1 5:49 AM
      HIWRE BAZAAR (MAHARASHTRA) INDIA, JUNE 30: Long before the
      government raised prices of petrol and diesel and Union Ministers
      resorted to tokenisms like cutting down on foreign trips, a small
      village in Maharashtra had begun walking the talk on economising
      fuel consumption.

      As reports of an imminent increase in oil prices began making
      headlines about two months ago, the gram sabha of Hiwre Bazaar in
      Ahmednagar district, about 300 km from Mumbai and home to about
      1,300 people, passed a resolution urging residents not to use motor
      vehicles within the village and encouraged pooling automobiles and
      the use of bicycles.

      Although the impact may seem like a drop in the global fuel ocean,
      it is nevertheless bringing some cheer to the villagers. Hiwre
      Bazaar is heading towards saving about 100 litres of petrol everyday
      and many villagers who have aggressively adopted the resolution
      claim they have cut their fuel expenses by 50 per cent.

      "Our village has always been thinking ahead of its time," says
      sarpanch Popatrao Pawar, the brain behind an idea economists and
      finance ministers would heartily endorse. "According our estimates,
      we plan to save 100 litres of petrol everyday by pooling and
      switching to bicycles. People here go far for work and most of them
      have vehicles. So by better co-ordination and pooling, enough fuel
      can be saved."

      Residents of the village are quick to point out that their
      economising is not forced by poverty or their inability to afford
      petrol and diesel. The largely farming village of 236 families has
      307 vehicles — 268 motorbikes, 22 four-wheelers and 17 tractors. In
      fact, 25 per cent of the families are millionaires, they add.

      Rajendra Pawar, 36, one of four tempo-owners in the village, says
      that in the past each one would go to Ahmednagar, 16 km away,
      separately to sell vegetables. "At that time, the profit used to get
      divided between us. But now each one takes turns going to the city.
      This not only saves our diesel and transportation cost but has also
      increased our profits.

      Now, we use our tempos for some other purpose on a lean day," he
      said.

      Rajendra Thumbe and Rajendra Sumbe, both teachers at Nimga Waga
      village, 16 km from Hiwre Bazaar, give rides to each other on their
      motorbikes every week "after proper co-ordination". "We save Rs 300
      every month over fuel which otherwise used to cost us Rs 600," said
      Thumbe.

      Raosaheb Ranoji Pawar (82), who bought the first motorbike in the
      village in 1970, but now rides a bicycle, has a different take on
      the resolution. "It is much healthier to ride a bicycle than a
      motorbike. These young boys get exhausted after cycling and all due
      to their habits," he said.

      While neighbouring villages and government agencies are amazed by
      the move, it is just the latest in a series of progressive steps for
      residents of Hiwre Bazaar. When the village was drought-hit years
      ago, residents took to water harvesting and also started to protect
      the forests around it, winning accolades and drawing the attention
      of national and international agencies which came to study their
      success.

      Villagers now farm through the year due to abundance of water. In
      2000, the village passed a resolution making HIV tests mandatory
      before marriage. It also passed a resolution preventing land sale to
      outsiders. Village resolutions, including the one on fuel
      consumption, are rarely violated as residents say they are close-
      knit community.

      "Our village has always been an example for others," says sarpanch
      Pawar, a masters in commerce from Pune University and a cricketer,
      who chose to return to Hiwre Bazaar after his education in 1985. "We
      don't want to claim that we are doing anything great, but if a small
      village can do this, and if others can at least follow our model, we
      can save enough of our foreign currency used for buying fuel."
      www.indianexpress.com/story/329716.html
    • madhav chowdhary
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1 11:42 PM
        Hello,

        Solar / Wind Charging of Battery operated vehicle is good option in future for the farm sector.
        All the existing vehicles can be converted to battery operated vehicles by replacing the engine with electric motor and adding sufficient batteries.
        This is very good option for local operation, short distance (100 km in one charge).
        Even battery operated small tractors is good options.

        Madhav

        Bollywood, fun, friendship, sports and more. You name it, we have it on http://in.promos.yahoo.com/groups/bestofyahoo/