Organic / Natural Pig raising...anyone

  • ry12an16
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 24, 2008
      Hello....

      I would like to know If there are members here that raise pigs in
      natural or organic way.

      Can you pls share to us.

      thanks
    • Shawn Turner
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 24, 2008
        What do you consider Natural or Organic?  My family raised pigs growing up.  We did not give them shots or hormones.  We feed them corn(Harmony) that we grew.  Sorghum stalks and whatever was leftover from the kitchen table.  I am sure I can shed some light on it for you.
        This was in the south(alabama).

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 24, 2008
          We pasture pigs on an organic open field and at wood edge where they
          also get tons of acorns and hickory nuts in the Fall.
          We feed no corn. In the Winter they get only kamut (our bread grain)
          and bushels of frozen apples.
          They are very wild. These are the happiest pigs you could want to see.
          We have a harvest ritual wherein we ask them to guide us to who among
          them can share their lives to become our food.
          They are very delicious.

          They are also very good watch animals. The pigs are very protective
          of our older dog. The coyotes never enter their field.

          On Jun 24, 2008, at 10:45 AM, Shawn Turner wrote:

          > What do you consider Natural or Organic? My family raised pigs
          > growing up. We did not give them shots or hormones. We feed them
          > corn(Harmony) that we grew. Sorghum stalks and whatever was
          > leftover from the kitchen table. I am sure I can shed some light
          > on it for you.

        • Shawn Turner
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 25, 2008
            Are you looking to do this commerically on a large scale?

            how about the pig housing, some say its good to use deep bedded system can you explain further on how to do that.

          • ry12an16@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 26, 2008
              Hi Shawn,

              Currently im raising pigs on a small scale (backyard) and eventually if
              im successful on this kind of business I will try to do it on a large
              scale commercially.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 26, 2008
                Housing for our pigs was a small little shed with over hang to give them relief from the rain.  Again weather was not an issue.  I grew up in Alabama.  It does not get very cold.  The pen was constructed around many oak trees.  So they have plenty acorns and such to eat.  We did not have any problems with scale.  Why because they were able to rut in the mud.  We all know that pigs that are raised this way do not have to be treated with antibiotic to prevent.
                There is a bacteria in the dirt that the pig must have to prevent this disorder.  That is why you will see your little piglets eating dirt and alot of it.  Put commerically grown housed pigs must be treated.  The biggest problem we have was that pigs are smart and they can find a billions ways to get out of their enclosure.

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 27, 2008
                  What part of the country are you in and what breed of pigs do you have?

                  michael wrote:

                  > We pasture pigs on an organic open field and at wood edge where they
                  > also get tons of acorns and hickory nuts in the Fall.
                  > We feed no corn. In the Winter they get only kamut (our bread grain)
                  > and bushels of frozen apples.
                  > They are very wild. These are the happiest pigs you could want to see.
                  > We have a harvest ritual wherein we ask them to guide us to who among
                  > them can share their lives to become our food.
                  > They are very delicious.
                  >
                  > They are also very good watch animals. The pigs are very protective
                  > of our older dog. The coyotes never enter their field.
                  >
                  > On Jun 24, 2008, at 10:45 AM, Shawn Turner wrote:
                  >
                  > > What do you consider Natural or Organic? My family raised pigs
                  > > growing up. We did not give them shots or hormones. We feed them
                  > > corn(Harmony) that we grew. Sorghum stalks and whatever was
                  > > leftover from the kitchen table. I am sure I can shed some light
                  > > on it for you.

                • katanablues
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 5, 2008