Re: OZ

  • Antonino Giglio
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 13, 2008
      Where??? Have you done some trials yet to measure the success rate? :)

      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "melbourneperson"
      <magicsteven@...> wrote:

      > i'm in melbourne,
      > hoping to throw down some seedballs around here asap before the rainy
      > period.
      >
      > steve
      >
      > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Antonino Giglio"
      > <tonydance@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi everyone!
      > > I just started reading Mr Fukuoka 1st book, amazing!
      > > Is there anyone in this forum that lives in OZ????
      > > Ciao!!!
      > > Antonino

    • Linda Shewan
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 16, 2008
        Hi Antonino,

        Not doing 'REAL' fukuoka farming here except in a very small area up in my
        back yard beyond the semi-conventional vege patch and a bit randomly in our
        school food forest. Threw lots of broad beans, rocket, lettuces, fenugreek,
        clover, chicory etc down in autumn this year (hand broadcast - not
        seedballs) but only a percentage of broad beans have germinated - the rest
        may come in spring or may not. Mostly I am just trying to get anything to
        grow at the moment to get the biomass up in the area and improve the soil
        which is hard clay ... not a lot of luck so far to be honest but lots of
        weeds are germinating where they didn't before so I think the soil is
        improving somewhat! Last summer I criss-crossed the area with pear tree
        prunings and they are sprouting so require more management ...

        I am not aware of any real trials in Oz... but the often never arriving
        rains (in spring or any other time) makes growing from seedballs or hand
        broadcasting far more difficult I think. I think you either need to build up
        your soil over time, or rapidy with a lasagne type garden (heavy mulch) so
        that seeds can fall down in the straw where they will stay moist and be able
        to germinate that way. Of course tiny seeds will fall too far that way - but
        it is what I plan on trying this year.

        I am not much of a documentor though so don't expect major test results from
        me.

        Cheers, Linda