Re: OZ

  • Norm
    Message 1 of 9 , May 27, 2008
      If you mean by Oz, living is Australia? Yes there's me & a few
      others…Norm.

      If you mean follow the Yellow Brick road with Dorothy & the tin man
      etc…somewhere over the Rainbow…probably not.

      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Antonino Giglio"
      <tonydance@...> wrote:

      > Hi everyone!
      > I just started reading Mr Fukuoka 1st book, amazing!
      > Is there anyone in this forum that lives in OZ????
      > Ciao!!!
      > Antonino

    • melbourneperson
      Message 2 of 9 , May 28, 2008
        i'm in melbourne,
        hoping to throw down some seedballs around here asap before the rainy
        period.

        steve

        <tonydance@...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone!
        > I just started reading Mr Fukuoka 1st book, amazing!
        > Is there anyone in this forum that lives in OZ????
        > Ciao!!!
        > Antonino

      • Antonino Giglio
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 13, 2008
          Hi Linda! No worries!!!!! Everyone does that... Ha ha ha...

          Wish to know more about what is happening in OZ with mr Fukuoka system
          of natural farming!

          Are there trials or have they been?

          I'm interested how his methods applies to our local conditions that I
          believe are very different from where he lives...

          Ciao and thanks!!! :)

          --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Linda Shewan \(Yahoo\)"
          <linda_shewan@...> wrote:

          > Ooops so sorry Antonino,
          >

          > Please accept my apology for spelling your name wrong in my last post.
          >

          > Cheers, Linda

        • Antonino Giglio
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 13, 2008
            Ha ha ha... Yes in Oz like in Australia:
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oz_(magazine)

            :-P

            --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Norm" <fukuoka@...> wrote:

            > If you mean by Oz, living is Australia? Yes there's me & a few
            > others…Norm.
            >
            > If you mean follow the Yellow Brick road with Dorothy & the tin man
            > etc…somewhere over the Rainbow…probably not.
            >

            > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Antonino Giglio"
            > <tonydance@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi everyone!
            > > I just started reading Mr Fukuoka 1st book, amazing!
            > > Is there anyone in this forum that lives in OZ????
            > > Ciao!!!
            > > Antonino

          • Antonino Giglio
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 13, 2008
              Where??? Have you done some trials yet to measure the success rate? :)

              --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "melbourneperson"
              <magicsteven@...> wrote:

              > i'm in melbourne,
              > hoping to throw down some seedballs around here asap before the rainy
              > period.
              >
              > steve
              >
              > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Antonino Giglio"
              > <tonydance@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi everyone!
              > > I just started reading Mr Fukuoka 1st book, amazing!
              > > Is there anyone in this forum that lives in OZ????
              > > Ciao!!!
              > > Antonino

            • Linda Shewan
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 16, 2008
                Hi Antonino,

                Not doing 'REAL' fukuoka farming here except in a very small area up in my
                back yard beyond the semi-conventional vege patch and a bit randomly in our
                school food forest. Threw lots of broad beans, rocket, lettuces, fenugreek,
                clover, chicory etc down in autumn this year (hand broadcast - not
                seedballs) but only a percentage of broad beans have germinated - the rest
                may come in spring or may not. Mostly I am just trying to get anything to
                grow at the moment to get the biomass up in the area and improve the soil
                which is hard clay ... not a lot of luck so far to be honest but lots of
                weeds are germinating where they didn't before so I think the soil is
                improving somewhat! Last summer I criss-crossed the area with pear tree
                prunings and they are sprouting so require more management ...

                I am not aware of any real trials in Oz... but the often never arriving
                rains (in spring or any other time) makes growing from seedballs or hand
                broadcasting far more difficult I think. I think you either need to build up
                your soil over time, or rapidy with a lasagne type garden (heavy mulch) so
                that seeds can fall down in the straw where they will stay moist and be able
                to germinate that way. Of course tiny seeds will fall too far that way - but
                it is what I plan on trying this year.

                I am not much of a documentor though so don't expect major test results from
                me.

                Cheers, Linda