OZ

  • Antonino Giglio
    Message 1 of 9 , May 27, 2008
      Hi everyone!
      I just started reading Mr Fukuoka 1st book, amazing!
      Is there anyone in this forum that lives in OZ????
      Ciao!!!
      Antonino
    • Norm
      Message 2 of 9 , May 27, 2008
        If you mean by Oz, living is Australia? Yes there's me & a few
        others…Norm.

        If you mean follow the Yellow Brick road with Dorothy & the tin man
        etc…somewhere over the Rainbow…probably not.

        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Antonino Giglio"
        <tonydance@...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone!
        > I just started reading Mr Fukuoka 1st book, amazing!
        > Is there anyone in this forum that lives in OZ????
        > Ciao!!!
        > Antonino

      • Linda Shewan (Yahoo)
        Message 3 of 9 , May 27, 2008
          Hi Antonio,

          I am in Central Victoria. working on land in Chewton (just out of
          Castlemaine) and Gisborne.

          Cheers, Linda

          Message 4 of 9 , May 27, 2008
            Ooops so sorry Antonino,

            Please accept my apology for spelling your name wrong in my last post.

            Cheers, Linda

            Message 5 of 9 , May 28, 2008
              i'm in melbourne,
              hoping to throw down some seedballs around here asap before the rainy
              period.

              steve

              <tonydance@...> wrote:

              > Hi everyone!
              > I just started reading Mr Fukuoka 1st book, amazing!
              > Is there anyone in this forum that lives in OZ????
              > Ciao!!!
              > Antonino

            • Antonino Giglio
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 13 8:04 PM
                Hi Linda! No worries!!!!! Everyone does that... Ha ha ha...

                Wish to know more about what is happening in OZ with mr Fukuoka system
                of natural farming!

                Are there trials or have they been?

                I'm interested how his methods applies to our local conditions that I
                believe are very different from where he lives...

                Ciao and thanks!!! :)

                --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Linda Shewan \(Yahoo\)"
                <linda_shewan@...> wrote:

                > Ooops so sorry Antonino,
                >

                > Please accept my apology for spelling your name wrong in my last post.
                >

                > Cheers, Linda

              • Antonino Giglio
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 13 8:06 PM
                  Ha ha ha... Yes in Oz like in Australia:
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oz_(magazine)

                  :-P

                  --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Norm" <fukuoka@...> wrote:

                  > If you mean by Oz, living is Australia? Yes there's me & a few
                  > others…Norm.
                  >
                  > If you mean follow the Yellow Brick road with Dorothy & the tin man
                  > etc…somewhere over the Rainbow…probably not.
                  >

                  > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Antonino Giglio"
                  > <tonydance@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi everyone!
                  > > I just started reading Mr Fukuoka 1st book, amazing!
                  > > Is there anyone in this forum that lives in OZ????
                  > > Ciao!!!
                  > > Antonino

                • Antonino Giglio
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 13 8:10 PM
                    Where??? Have you done some trials yet to measure the success rate? :)

                    --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "melbourneperson"
                    <magicsteven@...> wrote:

                    > i'm in melbourne,
                    > hoping to throw down some seedballs around here asap before the rainy
                    > period.
                    >
                    > steve
                    >
                    > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Antonino Giglio"
                    > <tonydance@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi everyone!
                    > > I just started reading Mr Fukuoka 1st book, amazing!
                    > > Is there anyone in this forum that lives in OZ????
                    > > Ciao!!!
                    > > Antonino

                  • Linda Shewan
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 16 6:49 PM
                      Hi Antonino,

                      Not doing 'REAL' fukuoka farming here except in a very small area up in my
                      back yard beyond the semi-conventional vege patch and a bit randomly in our
                      school food forest. Threw lots of broad beans, rocket, lettuces, fenugreek,
                      clover, chicory etc down in autumn this year (hand broadcast - not
                      seedballs) but only a percentage of broad beans have germinated - the rest
                      may come in spring or may not. Mostly I am just trying to get anything to
                      grow at the moment to get the biomass up in the area and improve the soil
                      which is hard clay ... not a lot of luck so far to be honest but lots of
                      weeds are germinating where they didn't before so I think the soil is
                      improving somewhat! Last summer I criss-crossed the area with pear tree
                      prunings and they are sprouting so require more management ...

                      I am not aware of any real trials in Oz... but the often never arriving
                      rains (in spring or any other time) makes growing from seedballs or hand
                      broadcasting far more difficult I think. I think you either need to build up
                      your soil over time, or rapidy with a lasagne type garden (heavy mulch) so
                      that seeds can fall down in the straw where they will stay moist and be able
                      to germinate that way. Of course tiny seeds will fall too far that way - but
                      it is what I plan on trying this year.

                      I am not much of a documentor though so don't expect major test results from
                      me.

                      Cheers, Linda