White Clover Seeds

  • i.gencay
    Message 1 of 5 , May 8, 2008
      I'd like to use clover seeds as a cover crop. Fukuoka mentions white clover seeds.
      I am searching for ORGANIC white clover seeds and it seems hard to get.
      Is there a particular reason why Fukuoka uses white clover seeds? Which variety did he use?
      Dutch White Clover?
      I am a beginner in farming/gardening. Or can I use any type of clover seeds. My preference
      would be ORGANIC, but white is hard to get, while red is easier to get in organic.

      Any help would be appreciated. Also I am in Southern California and if someone knows of
      any supply stores that would be great.

      Also which Daikon Raddish variety is Fukuoka using? The white long root type of raddish?

      Thank you.
      Ibo
    • cywgcyyc2005
      Message 2 of 5 , May 21, 2008
        I think Fukuoka would suggest that you don't get bogged down in such
        details. White dutch clover is a good cover because it covers the
        ground quickly, adds nitrogen, and yet does not interefere with
        cereal crops and vegetables as they climb above it. I suggest you see
        what works well in your area by experimenting and have fun with it. I
        use the clover in my garden. I am not a hardcore gardener, but a
        practical one. The continuous cover with a scattering of vegetable
        seeds in the spring produce a fantastic garden. Also, it keeps the
        dirt out of my pool. I am continuously amazed with what can be done
        in nature when you don't interefere, but gently guide your goals.
        Good luck
        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "i.gencay" <i.gencay@...>
        wrote:

        > I'd like to use clover seeds as a cover crop. Fukuoka mentions
        white clover seeds.
        > I am searching for ORGANIC white clover seeds and it seems hard to
        get.
        > Is there a particular reason why Fukuoka uses white clover seeds?
        Which variety did he use?
        > Dutch White Clover?
        > I am a beginner in farming/gardening. Or can I use any type of
        clover seeds. My preference
        > would be ORGANIC, but white is hard to get, while red is easier to
        get in organic.

        > Any help would be appreciated. Also I am in Southern California and
        if someone knows of
        > any supply stores that would be great.
        >
        > Also which Daikon Raddish variety is Fukuoka using? The white long
        root type of raddish?

        > Thank you.
        > Ibo

      • sydehill
        Message 3 of 5 , May 28, 2008
          Hi, I am trying some interplanting with white clover for the first
          time - it's been almost two months now and as I didn't get a good
          seed distribution and was a little light in some areas I don't have
          as complete a coverage as I'd like. I've been doing a lot of hand
          pulling of grass seedlings and horsetail fern to allow the clover to
          establish itself. I think it's paying off, I have pretty good
          coverage now and the clover is starting to develop more complex roots
          with the nodules indicating the nitrogen fixing thing is happening,

          The clover seed I used was some commercial stuff from Australia (I'm
          in Japan) and I don't know if it was inoculated or not so was worried
          whether the appropriate bacteria would be there to get the process
          going, but it looks like they were.

          Plan A was to start cotton seeds in containers and transplant
          seedlings into the clover area and to plant sesame directly. None of
          my cotton seedlings came up, though, so that part is derailed for
          now..

          For the sesame I just dug some shallow trenches about 2-3 centimeters
          deep through the young clover and planted seeds. I did only minimal
          disturbance to the clover. The sesame came up, but maybe due to cool
          weather didn't do much else for about a month - clover, on the other
          hand was growing well and I ended up having to pull up clover around
          the seedlings to keep the from being overwhelmed (some were anyway).

          I did a further planting of sesame a couple weeks ago and cleared
          back the clover a bit more aggressively - that batch is almost as
          well developed as the stuff planted several weeks earlier - by the
          time the clover grows back up to the sesame, hopefully the sesame
          will be tall and well established enough to be co-existing well.

          The intention is to do winter wheat on the same ground, retaining the
          clover. I'm not sure I will have that Fukuoka style system of
          covering the seeds in clay coatings down by then - if I don't, how
          would people recommend planting wheat into the clover?? (it's not a
          large area - can do everything by hand)

          cywgcyyc2005 - what kind of veggies/cereals are you growing & how do
          you plant them with the clover?

          Douglas,

          Hamamatsu, Japan

          BTW - seems to me a good source of clover seed would be from whatever
          kind of clover seems to be growing well in your particular area
          already - there's some time of giant(?) white clover that grows well
          around here on pretty infertile looking soil - I'm going to try
          collecting and using some seed from it..

          --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "cywgcyyc2005" <
          cywgcyyc2005@...> wrote:

          > I think Fukuoka would suggest that you don't get bogged down in
          such
          > details. White dutch clover is a good cover because it covers the
          > ground quickly, adds nitrogen, and yet does not interefere with
          > cereal crops and vegetables as they climb above it. I suggest you
          see
          > what works well in your area by experimenting and have fun with it.
          > use the clover in my garden. I am not a hardcore gardener, but a
          > practical one. The continuous cover with a scattering of vegetable
          > seeds in the spring produce a fantastic garden. Also, it keeps the
          > dirt out of my pool. I am continuously amazed with what can be done
          > in nature when you don't interefere, but gently guide your goals.
          > Good luck
        • cywgcyyc2005
          Message 4 of 5 , May 28, 2008
            I just spread the seeds in among the clover, stir the leaves to make
            sure the seeds get under the foliage and let them grow. I find root
            vegetables such as radish and beets do well, but other legumes like
            peas and beans are not always as successful. I also like tomatoes,
            squash and cucumbers, but I transplant these into the garden as we
            don't have enough frost free days to grow these from seed in the garden.
            I don't really have space to grow grains, although a test plot might be
            worth a try I'm not an expert. I only do what works for me in my small
            available land space, but based upon my successes, I plan to ask the
            city for some unused and unwanted land so I can see if this will work
            on a larger scale. Good luck.
          • Berin Erturk
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 2, 2008
              You seem to have come to the same conclusion as I did concerning the three plants to grow the Fukoka style- wheat-sesame-clover. As you have probably noticed, he waters the field once to weaken the clover and let the summer crop come up. I could not find a solution to this problem since with so much watering sesame seeds would have rotten as well . But your experience shows that with some manual work it can be done.
              Thank you for sharing your experience with us and please continue to do so. Good luck with winter wheat! (using more wheat seeds than you normally would might help)
              Berin Erturk