Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: advice on how to turn a lawn into a veggie garden

  • George.com
    Message 1 of 13 , May 2, 2008
      I have used, and seen used, old wool carpet and felt (hessian type) carpet underlay.

      rob

      Message 2 of 13 , May 3, 2008
        I have found that using cardboard encourages micro organisms and the health
        of soil. Where I have used cardboard and wood chips from tree companies in
        my area, the soil on these properties has been transformed. The mycelium
        that develops from mushrooms takes care of any toxins.

        Golden Love

        Love's Gardens

        "Your neighborhood solar-powered gardener" (TM)

        California Licensed Contractor C27 363672

        127 National St.

        Santa Cruz, CA 95060

        Phone (831) 471-9100

        Fax ( 831) 471-9200

        goldenlove@...

        _____

        On 5/2/08, Pat D <pjd1100@yahoo. <mailto:pjd1100%40yahoo.com> com> wrote:

        > I once heard that cardboard has glue in it. Anyone else know any danger
        > of using cardboard or newspaper?
        > Pat
        >
        > David Keltie <david.keltie@ <mailto:david.keltie%40gmail.com> gmail.com
        <david.keltie%40gmail.com>> wrote: To
        > help kill the grass underneath the straw, I use cardboard or
        > newspaper (thick 20 pages or so) as a first layer. I push back the
        > straw, then use a knife to open a small hole and plant into that
        > pushing the straw back into place.
        >
        > Works for me.
        >
        > David
        >
        > On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 1:26 AM, basjoos <MKTurner7@aol.
        <mailto:MKTurner7%40aol.com> com<MKTurner7%40aol.com>>
        > wrote:
        > > --- In fukuoka_farming@ <mailto:fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com>
        yahoogroups.com<fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com>,