Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: advice on how to turn a lawn into a veggie garden

  • Pat D
    Message 1 of 13 , May 1, 2008
      I once heard that cardboard has glue in it. Anyone else know any danger of using cardboard or newspaper?
      Pat

      David Keltie <david.keltie@...> wrote: To help kill the grass underneath the straw, I use cardboard or
      newspaper (thick 20 pages or so) as a first layer. I push back the
      straw, then use a knife to open a small hole and plant into that
      pushing the straw back into place.

      Works for me.

      David

      On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 1:26 AM, basjoos <MKTurner7@...> wrote:
      > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Inesinlove@... wrote:
      > >
      > > I need some advice how to turn a lawn into a veggie garden without
      > > disturbing the soil. It has been a lawn for a long time and I don't
      > think the soil is
      > > very good. I don't see a lot of other species in the grass.
      > > Thanks Ines
      > >

      > One way is to put down a thick enough layer of hay to kill out the
      > grass (unroll a round bale or lay down overlapping leaves from a square
      > bale) and add enough manure to the hay to help it start composting.
      > Then ideally let it sit for a month until all of the grass had died
      > before planting, altough if you are in a hurry, you can plant large
      > plants (tomotoes, squash, okra, melons, etc.)through the hay into the
      > soil under the hay.

    • Raju Titus
      Message 2 of 13 , May 1, 2008
        Dear friend,
        In natural way of farming weed is not a problem but it is required for
        farming.Therefore one should first eliminate thought of killing of
        weed.Killing of weed by any mean is a violent way.Killing of weeds by the
        cover of cardboard is a method of permaculture.This is not only kills weeds
        but kills soil also which is a group of microbes.Card board is industrial
        product having lot of chemicals in it can create pollution.Lawn is a green
        cover required in farming.
        Raju

        On 5/2/08, Pat D <pjd1100@...> wrote:

        > I once heard that cardboard has glue in it. Anyone else know any danger
        > of using cardboard or newspaper?
        > Pat
        >
        > David Keltie <david.keltie@... <david.keltie%40gmail.com>> wrote: To
        > help kill the grass underneath the straw, I use cardboard or
        > newspaper (thick 20 pages or so) as a first layer. I push back the
        > straw, then use a knife to open a small hole and plant into that
        > pushing the straw back into place.
        >
        > Works for me.
        >
        > David
        >
        > On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 1:26 AM, basjoos <MKTurner7@...<MKTurner7%40aol.com>>
        > wrote:
        > > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com<fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com>,
        > Inesinlove@... wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I need some advice how to turn a lawn into a veggie garden without
        > > > disturbing the soil. It has been a lawn for a long time and I don't
        > > think the soil is
        > > > very good. I don't see a lot of other species in the grass.
        > > > Thanks Ines
        > > >

        > > One way is to put down a thick enough layer of hay to kill out the
        > > grass (unroll a round bale or lay down overlapping leaves from a square
        > > bale) and add enough manure to the hay to help it start composting.
        > > Then ideally let it sit for a month until all of the grass had died
        > > before planting, altough if you are in a hurry, you can plant large
        > > plants (tomotoes, squash, okra, melons, etc.)through the hay into the
        > > soil under the hay.

      • Linda Shewan
        Message 3 of 13 , May 1, 2008
          Whenever I have used cardboard I have seen an explosion of soil life - but
          you must wet the ground thoroughly before putting the cardboard down and
          some green waste under them to rot down and encourage the worms etc is also
          useful. Yes there is glue in cardboard but newspaper has been given the OK
          these days. I guess I believe the worms take care of that - as a once off I
          don't think it will overload the soil. Worms adore both cardboard and
          newspaper, the covering doesn't allow the soil to dry out and the
          cardboard/newspaper rapidly breaks down leaving much more friable soil
          underneath.

          I agree it is not natural farming but if you have couch or kikuyu or other
          aggressive running grasses it can sometimes be the only way to get started.

          Linda

          On 5/2/08, Pat D <pjd1100@... <mailto:pjd1100%40yahoo.com> > wrote:

          > I once heard that cardboard has glue in it. Anyone else know any danger
          > of using cardboard or newspaper?
          > Pat
          >
          > David Keltie <david.keltie@... <mailto:david.keltie%40gmail.com>
          <david.keltie%40gmail.com>> wrote: To
          > help kill the grass underneath the straw, I use cardboard or
          > newspaper (thick 20 pages or so) as a first layer. I push back the
          > straw, then use a knife to open a small hole and plant into that
          > pushing the straw back into place.
          >
          > Works for me.
          >
          > David
          >
          > On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 1:26 AM, basjoos <MKTurner7@...
          <mailto:MKTurner7%40aol.com> <MKTurner7%40aol.com>>
          > wrote:
          > > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
          <mailto:fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com>
          <fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com>,
          > Inesinlove@... wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I need some advice how to turn a lawn into a veggie garden without
          > > > disturbing the soil. It has been a lawn for a long time and I don't
          > > think the soil is
          > > > very good. I don't see a lot of other species in the grass.
          > > > Thanks Ines
          > > >

          > > One way is to put down a thick enough layer of hay to kill out the
          > > grass (unroll a round bale or lay down overlapping leaves from a square
          > > bale) and add enough manure to the hay to help it start composting.
          > > Then ideally let it sit for a month until all of the grass had died
          > > before planting, altough if you are in a hurry, you can plant large
          > > plants (tomotoes, squash, okra, melons, etc.)through the hay into the
          > > soil under the hay.

        • George.com
          Message 4 of 13 , May 2, 2008
            I have used, and seen used, old wool carpet and felt (hessian type) carpet underlay.

            rob

            In natural way of farming weed is not a problem but it is required for
            farming.Therefore one should first eliminate thought of killing of
            weed.Killing of weed by any mean is a violent way.Killing of weeds by the
            cover of cardboard is a method of permaculture.This is not only kills weeds
            but kills soil also which is a group of microbes.Card board is industrial
            product having lot of chemicals in it can create pollution.Lawn is a green
            cover required in farming.
            Raju

            On 5/2/08, Pat D <pjd1100@... <mailto:pjd1100%40yahoo.com> > wrote:

            > I once heard that cardboard has glue in it. Anyone else know any danger
            > of using cardboard or newspaper?
            > Pat
            >
            > David Keltie <david.keltie@... <mailto:david.keltie%40gmail.com>
            <david.keltie%40gmail.com>> wrote: To
            > help kill the grass underneath the straw, I use cardboard or
            > newspaper (thick 20 pages or so) as a first layer. I push back the
            > straw, then use a knife to open a small hole and plant into that
            > pushing the straw back into place.
            >
            > Works for me.
            >
            > David
            >
            > On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 1:26 AM, basjoos <MKTurner7@...
            <mailto:MKTurner7%40aol.com> <MKTurner7%40aol.com>>
            > wrote:
            > > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
            <mailto:fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com>
            <fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com>,
            > Inesinlove@... wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I need some advice how to turn a lawn into a veggie garden without
            > > > disturbing the soil. It has been a lawn for a long time and I don't
            > > think the soil is
            > > > very good. I don't see a lot of other species in the grass.
            > > > Thanks Ines
            > > >

            > > One way is to put down a thick enough layer of hay to kill out the
            > > grass (unroll a round bale or lay down overlapping leaves from a square
            > > bale) and add enough manure to the hay to help it start composting.
            > > Then ideally let it sit for a month until all of the grass had died
            > > before planting, altough if you are in a hurry, you can plant large
            > > plants (tomotoes, squash, okra, melons, etc.)through the hay into the
            > > soil under the hay.

          • Golden Love
            Message 5 of 13 , May 3, 2008
              I have found that using cardboard encourages micro organisms and the health
              of soil. Where I have used cardboard and wood chips from tree companies in
              my area, the soil on these properties has been transformed. The mycelium
              that develops from mushrooms takes care of any toxins.

              Golden Love

              Love's Gardens

              "Your neighborhood solar-powered gardener" (TM)

              California Licensed Contractor C27 363672

              127 National St.

              Santa Cruz, CA 95060

              Phone (831) 471-9100

              Fax ( 831) 471-9200

              goldenlove@...

              _____

              On 5/2/08, Pat D <pjd1100@yahoo. <mailto:pjd1100%40yahoo.com> com> wrote:

              > I once heard that cardboard has glue in it. Anyone else know any danger
              > of using cardboard or newspaper?
              > Pat
              >
              > David Keltie <david.keltie@ <mailto:david.keltie%40gmail.com> gmail.com
              <david.keltie%40gmail.com>> wrote: To
              > help kill the grass underneath the straw, I use cardboard or
              > newspaper (thick 20 pages or so) as a first layer. I push back the
              > straw, then use a knife to open a small hole and plant into that
              > pushing the straw back into place.
              >
              > Works for me.
              >
              > David
              >
              > On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 1:26 AM, basjoos <MKTurner7@aol.
              <mailto:MKTurner7%40aol.com> com<MKTurner7%40aol.com>>