advice on how to turn a lawn into a veggie garden

  • Inesinlove@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 28, 2008
      I need some advice how to turn a lawn into a veggie garden without
      disturbing the soil. It has been a lawn for a long time and I don't think the soil is
      very good. I don't see a lot of other species in the grass.
      Thanks Ines

      listings at AOL Autos.

    • Shawn Turner
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 28, 2008
        Permaculture is your ticket! I also recommend and excellent book on this subject called GAIA's Garden A guide to home-scale Permaculture by Toby Hemeway.

        I need some advice how to turn a lawn into a veggie garden without
        disturbing the soil. It has been a lawn for a long time and I don't think the soil is
        very good. I don't see a lot of other species in the grass.
        Thanks Ines

        ************ **Need a new ride? Check out the largest site for U.S. used car
        listings at AOL Autos.
        (http://autos. aol.com/used? NCID=aolcmp00300 000002851)

      • Bernhard Heuvel
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 28, 2008
          Hi Ines,

          I recommend you the Square Foot Garden system. I use it myself
          successfully and it is ideally to start small and expand on success.

          http://www.squarefootgardening.com/

          Another approach is the No-Dig-Garden-Bed which I recommend as well as a
          good start off. See:

          http://www.no-dig-vegetablegarden.com/build-a-garden.html

          Never try to build a massive garden, never use the whole space at once.
          You'll end up with work and more work. Start small, expand on success.
          This way you learn to work in niches, which is the way nature works.

          Regards,

          Bernhard
        • basjoos
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 29, 2008
            --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Inesinlove@... wrote:

            > I need some advice how to turn a lawn into a veggie garden without
            > disturbing the soil. It has been a lawn for a long time and I don't
            think the soil is
            > very good. I don't see a lot of other species in the grass.
            > Thanks Ines

            One way is to put down a thick enough layer of hay to kill out the
            grass (unroll a round bale or lay down overlapping leaves from a square
            bale) and add enough manure to the hay to help it start composting.
            Then ideally let it sit for a month until all of the grass had died
            before planting, altough if you are in a hurry, you can plant large
            plants (tomotoes, squash, okra, melons, etc.)through the hay into the
            soil under the hay.
          • Raju Titus
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 29, 2008
              Dear friend,
              Very good Idea, simply scatter leguminous seeds in lawn and irrigate if
              required. Lawn cover is good for non grass variety. I found that
              grass provides nutrients for non grass family members and leguminous cover
              provides nutrients for non legume family members.
              Soil is good because it is

              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 29, 2008
                Sorry what I want to say is that if soil is not tilled it is far better.
                Raju

                On 4/30/08, Raju Titus <rajuktitus@...> wrote:

                > Dear friend,
                > Very good Idea, simply scatter leguminous seeds in lawn and irrigate if
                > required. Lawn cover is good for non grass variety. I found that
                > grass provides nutrients for non grass family members and leguminous cover
                > provides nutrients for non legume family members.
                > Soil is good because it is
                >

                > On 4/28/08, Inesinlove@... <Inesinlove@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > I need some advice how to turn a lawn into a veggie garden without
                > > disturbing the soil. It has been a lawn for a long time and I don't
                > > think the soil is
                > > very good. I don't see a lot of other species in the grass.
                > > Thanks Ines
                > >
                > > **************Need a new ride? Check out the largest site for U.S. used
                > > car
                > > listings at AOL Autos.
                > > (http://autos.aol.com/used?NCID=aolcmp00300000002851)

              • David Keltie
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 30, 2008
                  To help kill the grass underneath the straw, I use cardboard or
                  newspaper (thick 20 pages or so) as a first layer. I push back the
                  straw, then use a knife to open a small hole and plant into that
                  pushing the straw back into place.

                  Works for me.

                  David

                  On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 1:26 AM, basjoos <MKTurner7@...> wrote:
                  > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Inesinlove@... wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I need some advice how to turn a lawn into a veggie garden without
                  > > disturbing the soil. It has been a lawn for a long time and I don't
                  > think the soil is
                  > > very good. I don't see a lot of other species in the grass.
                  > > Thanks Ines
                  > >

                  > One way is to put down a thick enough layer of hay to kill out the
                  > grass (unroll a round bale or lay down overlapping leaves from a square
                  > bale) and add enough manure to the hay to help it start composting.
                  > Then ideally let it sit for a month until all of the grass had died
                  > before planting, altough if you are in a hurry, you can plant large
                  > plants (tomotoes, squash, okra, melons, etc.)through the hay into the
                  > soil under the hay.

                • robin
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 30, 2008
                    dear inesinlove;

                    raju titus suggests the method most in keeping with fukuoka farming
                    in my opinion and it is the one i have used because it works most with
                    nature instead of trying to suppress or cover up nature.

                    when you say "lawn" it makes me want to assume the grass has been
                    mowed for a while now...you've got to stop mowing with a lawn mower
                    the part(s) that you want to turn into a garden. you may feel
                    overwhelmed at first as the grass grows profusely but try to stay
                    calm.! you'll be surprised as the grass grows what other types of
                    weeds will begin to show up, such as dandelions, dock, poke, or whatever.

                    as raju titus says, obtain leguminous seeds such as clovers, vetches,
                    etc., and scatter them in and around between the grass clumps and
                    where there is swaths of grass that is not
                    clumping, you may want to cut out some areas within the grass to
                    create openings in which to throw your legume seeds; what i usually do
                    is ascertain where the grass is very profusely growing, and in the
                    center and/or where the
                    dandelions are (or whatever weed you have in there, if any) i take my
                    sharp
                    hand scythe and slash the weed and surrounding grass plants for a
                    short circumference to pieces down to the ground. that
                    creates openings right where the sun shines. you may have to do this
                    several
                    times, as the weed/grass will grow back from the root, and may even become
                    stronger for a while. so then i
                    scatter legume seeds in there, along with vegetable seeds. (clover can
                    be used at any time of the year) if the vegetable germinates and comes
                    up, it's roots may hitch a ride down the root canal forged by the weed
                    roots. you can cut the weed at any time during this, and mulch with
                    the weed, and neighboring grass. the crop plant may benefit from the
                    protection and cushioning played by this weed and grass mixture
                    growing all around it, just check to make sure no shadows from grasses
                    or weeds are cast over the actual crop plant until the plant gains
                    strength enough to dominate over it's surroundings.

                    in the fall or spring if you go ahead and scatter seeds of ground
                    cover plants, such as rye, buckwheat, along with your legume seeds, it
                    will be alot easier to just slash down these and either plant your
                    crop plant in a small hole that you dig in openings that you create
                    with your hand scythe (or scissors) in the soft short ground cover
                    crops, or, when you scatter your vegetable seeds at the same time that
                    you are scattering your ground cover crops your strongest veg crops
                    will take hold and survive and hold their own very well. i throw
                    turnips, mustards and radishes, onions etc. along with the other type
                    seeds and they germinate well, plus you can pull some of these when
                    they go to seed in the spring and use the holes for tomatoes,
                    broccoli, etc. it's like they play the same role as weeds in picking
                    the best sunny spot to grow, so it takes the guess work out of it. you
                    have to watch nature to know what to do, when and where to do it. you
                    will make mistakes, and at times it will be confusing. if you get
                    overwhelmed, just wait awhile and study the situation. try to do only
                    the one small action that will make it work right. slashing openings
                    into the existing cover is easier and more natural than mulching
                    everything.

                    sorry if i couldn't explain it very well. but it does work.
                    the thing is, you can't be too concerned with appearances, even though
                    over time it looks good, because you are cutting out the "ugly" weeds
                    and the surrounding grasses form a meadow-like appearance. if you live
                    in a picky neighborhood where they mow everything, sometimes you can
                    disguise your natural garden from the outside, such as putting a
                    fence around it, which you will need anyway if deer come through your
                    property. i have an easy tension deerfence that i made using 4 ft
                    tomato stake pairs, cut strips of metal fencing placed over the stakes
                    shelf fashion, and fallen tree branches and reeds placed through the
                    metal fencing grid openings. this i erected myself, even though i am
                    not too strong physically. it sounds weird-looking, but it turned out
                    very rustic-looking, and works well.

                    since it is the planting and maintaining season, i would imagine that
                    dieter and bob are probably busy ouside working right now. they take
                    breaks to farm and then come back to the group when they have more
                    time. i miss them too for their knowledge and consistency, but there
                    are others that will probably come forward to take up the slack.***robin

                    --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Inesinlove@... wrote:

                    > I need some advice how to turn a lawn into a veggie garden without
                    > disturbing the soil. It has been a lawn for a long time and I don't
                    think the soil is
                    > very good. I don't see a lot of other species in the grass.
                    > Thanks Ines
                    >

                    > **************Need a new ride? Check out the largest site for U.S.
                    used car
                    > listings at AOL Autos.
                    > (http://autos.aol.com/used?NCID=aolcmp00300000002851)

                  • Pat D
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 1, 2008
                      I once heard that cardboard has glue in it. Anyone else know any danger of using cardboard or newspaper?
                      Pat

                      David Keltie <david.keltie@...> wrote: To help kill the grass underneath the straw, I use cardboard or
                      newspaper (thick 20 pages or so) as a first layer. I push back the
                      straw, then use a knife to open a small hole and plant into that
                      pushing the straw back into place.

                      Works for me.

                      David

                      On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 1:26 AM, basjoos <MKTurner7@...> wrote:
                      > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Inesinlove@... wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I need some advice how to turn a lawn into a veggie garden without
                      > > disturbing the soil. It has been a lawn for a long time and I don't
                      > think the soil is
                      > > very good. I don't see a lot of other species in the grass.
                      > > Thanks Ines
                      > >

                      > One way is to put down a thick enough layer of hay to kill out the
                      > grass (unroll a round bale or lay down overlapping leaves from a square
                      > bale) and add enough manure to the hay to help it start composting.
                      > Then ideally let it sit for a month until all of the grass had died
                      > before planting, altough if you are in a hurry, you can plant large
                      > plants (tomotoes, squash, okra, melons, etc.)through the hay into the
                      > soil under the hay.

                    • Raju Titus
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 1, 2008
                        Dear friend,
                        In natural way of farming weed is not a problem but it is required for
                        farming.Therefore one should first eliminate thought of killing of
                        weed.Killing of weed by any mean is a violent way.Killing of weeds by the
                        cover of cardboard is a method of permaculture.This is not only kills weeds
                        but kills soil also which is a group of microbes.Card board is industrial
                        product having lot of chemicals in it can create pollution.Lawn is a green
                        cover required in farming.
                        Raju

                        On 5/2/08, Pat D <pjd1100@...> wrote:

                        > I once heard that cardboard has glue in it. Anyone else know any danger
                        > of using cardboard or newspaper?
                        > Pat
                        >
                        > David Keltie <david.keltie@... <david.keltie%40gmail.com>> wrote: To
                        > help kill the grass underneath the straw, I use cardboard or
                        > newspaper (thick 20 pages or so) as a first layer. I push back the
                        > straw, then use a knife to open a small hole and plant into that
                        > pushing the straw back into place.
                        >
                        > Works for me.
                        >
                        > David
                        >
                        > On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 1:26 AM, basjoos <MKTurner7@...<MKTurner7%40aol.com>>
                        > wrote:
                        > > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com<fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com>,
                        > Inesinlove@... wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > I need some advice how to turn a lawn into a veggie garden without
                        > > > disturbing the soil. It has been a lawn for a long time and I don't
                        > > think the soil is
                        > > > very good. I don't see a lot of other species in the grass.
                        > > > Thanks Ines
                        > > >

                        > > One way is to put down a thick enough layer of hay to kill out the
                        > > grass (unroll a round bale or lay down overlapping leaves from a square
                        > > bale) and add enough manure to the hay to help it start composting.
                        > > Then ideally let it sit for a month until all of the grass had died
                        > > before planting, altough if you are in a hurry, you can plant large
                        > > plants (tomotoes, squash, okra, melons, etc.)through the hay into the
                        > > soil under the hay.

                      • Linda Shewan
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 1, 2008
                          Whenever I have used cardboard I have seen an explosion of soil life - but
                          you must wet the ground thoroughly before putting the cardboard down and
                          some green waste under them to rot down and encourage the worms etc is also
                          useful. Yes there is glue in cardboard but newspaper has been given the OK
                          these days. I guess I believe the worms take care of that - as a once off I
                          don't think it will overload the soil. Worms adore both cardboard and
                          newspaper, the covering doesn't allow the soil to dry out and the
                          cardboard/newspaper rapidly breaks down leaving much more friable soil
                          underneath.

                          I agree it is not natural farming but if you have couch or kikuyu or other
                          aggressive running grasses it can sometimes be the only way to get started.

                          Linda

                          On 5/2/08, Pat D <pjd1100@... <mailto:pjd1100%40yahoo.com> > wrote:

                          > I once heard that cardboard has glue in it. Anyone else know any danger
                          > of using cardboard or newspaper?
                          > Pat
                          >
                          > David Keltie <david.keltie@... <mailto:david.keltie%40gmail.com>
                          <david.keltie%40gmail.com>> wrote: To
                          > help kill the grass underneath the straw, I use cardboard or
                          > newspaper (thick 20 pages or so) as a first layer. I push back the
                          > straw, then use a knife to open a small hole and plant into that
                          > pushing the straw back into place.
                          >
                          > Works for me.
                          >
                          > David
                          >
                          > On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 1:26 AM, basjoos <MKTurner7@...
                          <mailto:MKTurner7%40aol.com> <MKTurner7%40aol.com>>
                          > wrote:
                          > > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
                          <mailto:fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com>
                          <fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com>,
                          > Inesinlove@... wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > I need some advice how to turn a lawn into a veggie garden without
                          > > > disturbing the soil. It has been a lawn for a long time and I don't
                          > > think the soil is
                          > > > very good. I don't see a lot of other species in the grass.
                          > > > Thanks Ines
                          > > >

                          > > One way is to put down a thick enough layer of hay to kill out the
                          > > grass (unroll a round bale or lay down overlapping leaves from a square
                          > > bale) and add enough manure to the hay to help it start composting.
                          > > Then ideally let it sit for a month until all of the grass had died
                          > > before planting, altough if you are in a hurry, you can plant large
                          > > plants (tomotoes, squash, okra, melons, etc.)through the hay into the
                          > > soil under the hay.

                        • George.com
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 2, 2008
                            I have used, and seen used, old wool carpet and felt (hessian type) carpet underlay.

                            rob

                            In natural way of farming weed is not a problem but it is required for
                            farming.Therefore one should first eliminate thought of killing of
                            weed.Killing of weed by any mean is a violent way.Killing of weeds by the
                            cover of cardboard is a method of permaculture.This is not only kills weeds
                            but kills soil also which is a group of microbes.Card board is industrial
                            product having lot of chemicals in it can create pollution.Lawn is a green
                            cover required in farming.
                            Raju

                            On 5/2/08, Pat D <pjd1100@... <mailto:pjd1100%40yahoo.com> > wrote:

                            > I once heard that cardboard has glue in it. Anyone else know any danger
                            > of using cardboard or newspaper?
                            > Pat
                            >
                            > David Keltie <david.keltie@... <mailto:david.keltie%40gmail.com>
                            <david.keltie%40gmail.com>> wrote: To
                            > help kill the grass underneath the straw, I use cardboard or
                            > newspaper (thick 20 pages or so) as a first layer. I push back the
                            > straw, then use a knife to open a small hole and plant into that
                            > pushing the straw back into place.
                            >
                            > Works for me.
                            >
                            > David
                            >
                            > On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 1:26 AM, basjoos <MKTurner7@...
                            <mailto:MKTurner7%40aol.com> <MKTurner7%40aol.com>>
                            > wrote:
                            > > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
                            <mailto:fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com>
                            <fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com>,
                            > Inesinlove@... wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > I need some advice how to turn a lawn into a veggie garden without
                            > > > disturbing the soil. It has been a lawn for a long time and I don't
                            > > think the soil is
                            > > > very good. I don't see a lot of other species in the grass.
                            > > > Thanks Ines
                            > > >

                            > > One way is to put down a thick enough layer of hay to kill out the
                            > > grass (unroll a round bale or lay down overlapping leaves from a square
                            > > bale) and add enough manure to the hay to help it start composting.
                            > > Then ideally let it sit for a month until all of the grass had died
                            > > before planting, altough if you are in a hurry, you can plant large
                            > > plants (tomotoes, squash, okra, melons, etc.)through the hay into the
                            > > soil under the hay.

                          • Golden Love
                            Message 13 of 13 , May 3, 2008
                              I have found that using cardboard encourages micro organisms and the health
                              of soil. Where I have used cardboard and wood chips from tree companies in
                              my area, the soil on these properties has been transformed. The mycelium
                              that develops from mushrooms takes care of any toxins.

                              Golden Love

                              Love's Gardens

                              "Your neighborhood solar-powered gardener" (TM)

                              California Licensed Contractor C27 363672

                              127 National St.

                              Santa Cruz, CA 95060

                              Phone (831) 471-9100

                              Fax ( 831) 471-9200

                              goldenlove@...

                              _____

                              On 5/2/08, Pat D <pjd1100@yahoo. <mailto:pjd1100%40yahoo.com> com> wrote:

                              > I once heard that cardboard has glue in it. Anyone else know any danger
                              > of using cardboard or newspaper?
                              > Pat
                              >
                              > David Keltie <david.keltie@ <mailto:david.keltie%40gmail.com> gmail.com
                              <david.keltie%40gmail.com>> wrote: To
                              > help kill the grass underneath the straw, I use cardboard or
                              > newspaper (thick 20 pages or so) as a first layer. I push back the
                              > straw, then use a knife to open a small hole and plant into that
                              > pushing the straw back into place.
                              >
                              > Works for me.
                              >
                              > David
                              >
                              > On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 1:26 AM, basjoos <MKTurner7@aol.
                              <mailto:MKTurner7%40aol.com> com<MKTurner7%40aol.com>>