Hi all, some questions

  • niklas.fred
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 21 1:09 AM
      Hi all!

      Nice to find a Yahoo- group that seems to be active!

      I`m a free time gardener from Helsinki, Finland. I have just about
      100 sq. meters of rented land. I`ve been farming it for a couple of
      years now, mixed vegetables plus some berries. I`ve been using cover
      crops and straw mulching from the beginning, my greatest influence up
      until now having been the writings of Eliot Coleman.

      Now that I`ve found the writings of Mr. Fukuoma, I feel the path has
      opened further once more.

      Couple of questions;

      Up until now I`ve only used annual cover crops like Purple vetch,
      crimson and Persian clover, but now I`m thinking about mixing in some
      white clover. I`m just a bit concerned how it will go with vegetable
      crops; will it get too dense to live with? But at least under my
      berry bushes and on the paths it should work out ok, yes?

      Then there`s the question of micro- nutrients; I`ve run my soil tests
      in Neal Kinsey`s lab in Missouri (yes, it`s a long way from here, but
      actually it costs less!). The nutrient levels are starting to be
      excellent all over, but manganese is still lacking, and I really
      believe it shows during cold early to mid June spells we have here
      almost every year. If I don`t import anything to my soil from outside
      can the micronutrient levels really rise with the "Fukuoka"- method?
      Growing trees is out of the question because of some ridiculous rules
      they have on the land I rent. (BTW, I guess being concerned of soil
      test data might be wrong in itself?).

      Anyways, nice to be here, looking forward to getting know you all.
    • ***
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 26 6:33 AM
        hello sir. i am just so curious. how much do you make monthly/annually
        in that 100 sq.m land of yours? thanks!