Natural farming in Los Angeles, type of cover crop? when to seed rice? watering?

  • i.gencay
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 18, 2008
      Hi,
      I am a beginner and I'd like to know if someone knows which cover crop to use in the Los
      Angeles (USA) area.
      Masanobu Fukuoka mentions I believe white clover, but is this universally applicable for
      any area? I guess it depends on climate, temperature, etc.
      What about growing brown rice in Los Angeles. When to seed (month of the year) brown
      rice?
      Are the brown rice seeds the "naked" brown rice seeds that are sold in health food stores
      or are brown rice seeds hulled, meaning do they come with a hull...? (hope it is not too
      confusing).
      How about watering. Did Masanobu Fukuoka water his rice besides flooding it for a week
      or so to suppress "weeds"? Did he add additional water over the summer months? Or is it
      just the rain that was sufficient?
      My watering questions are related to our climate here in Los Angeles which is very dry
      here and rain is usually here only during the winter months....(just moved here).
      When would rice be seeded here in LA?
      And is it possible to grow barley and/or rye here in Los Angeles?
      I have a very small plot available where we are starting to make little "tests".
      I have many more detailed questions but this is for it now.
      Want to thank everyone in advance for any info you have. Your knowledge and experience
      is appreciated.
      Sincerely
      Ibo