Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: NG Greece - Seeding Projects

  • Robert Monie
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 11, 2008
      Ayla,

      You and Kostas need to put these traditional farming practices into some documentary form (booklet, photos, DVD) to preserve it. I have Vietnamese friends who vaguely recall their grandmothers' way of growing but have lost most of the details and gotten out of practice.
      Now they say: "I think this is the way she did it when I was little, but I'm not sure--I didn't always pay attention." It is sad how quickly such knowledge can disappear when areas are "modernized" or people have to migrate and new ways quickly take the place of old.

      Best wishes,

      Bob Monie
      New Orleans, LA
      USA
      ayla seyhun <aylaseyhun@...> wrote:
      Dear Kostas,

      I am a neighbour to you. I live in Turkey, just across the sea,

      we live near villages where real natural farming is done based on centuries
      of
      live knowledge.

      I am surprised to hear their wisdom on agriculture, trees, soil, products...
      I am sure that
      you have similiar old villagers around.

      Maybe we may begin exchanging this cultural knowledge between our regions
      and
      share it with friends in the group.

      It may be easy for you to visit us, as ý know you dont't pay for visa coming
      here, but we do pay going
      there. You may come here from Lesvos island by boat. We are so near.

      Maybe we can organise agro tours, friends from different countries may visit
      you and us in one package.
      and this will be a great cultural feast for our souls,

      What do you think?

      Ayla

    • karoubas
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 11, 2008
        Hello Ayla,

        Its nice to hear from you - yes it would be a great idea to meet.
        There are many others in Turkey and in Greece that practice or are
        working on natural farming - we pretty much have the same climate and
        problems with soil erosion, pollution and lack of vegetation.

        Kostas

        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "ayla seyhun" <aylaseyhun@...>
        wrote:

        > Dear Kostas,
        >
        > I am a neighbour to you. I live in Turkey, just across the sea,
        >
        > we live near villages where real natural farming is done based on
        centuries
        > of
        > live knowledge.
        >
        > I am surprised to hear their wisdom on agriculture, trees, soil,
        products...
        > I am sure that
        > you have similiar old villagers around.
        >
        > Maybe we may begin exchanging this cultural knowledge between our
        regions
        > and
        > share it with friends in the group.
        >
        > It may be easy for you to visit us, as ý know you dont't pay for
        visa coming
        > here, but we do pay going
        > there. You may come here from Lesvos island by boat. We are so near.
        >
        > Maybe we can organise agro tours, friends from different countries
        may visit
        > you and us in one package.
        > and this will be a great cultural feast for our souls,
        >
        > What do you think?
        >
        > Ayla
        >
        > On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 10:52 AM, karoubas <karoubas@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Dear Raju,
        > >
        > > Its always nice to hear from you - we really appreciate your
        > > contributions to this group and to see your farm in pictures.
        > >
        > > Kostas
        > >
        > > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
        <fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com>,
        > > "Raju Titus" <rajuktitus@>
        > > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Dear friend,
        > > > Thank you very much for showing nice work of God.
        > > > Thanks
        > > > Raju

        > > pleased.

        Fukuoka

      • ayla seyhun
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 11, 2008
          Hello

          I am really happy to hear that you agree to meet. I may organise your stay
          in a village
          with people who knows old ways of agriculture.

          Are there others in the group who would like to join us? Bob from LA for
          example? We may have lots to tell and to exchange for a global shift.

          I think you have olive trees mainly. What trees have you planted? I have
          friends from Japan who live in Turkey
          and they grow rice with natural farming methods at the north side of Turkey.

          Waiting to hear from you?

          Ayla

        • karoubas
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 12, 2008
            Bob,
            That's not a bad idea - we are making a good effort here in Greece to
            save the old seed varieties, and there are few people going around
            writing down different ways that people traditionally grew food - its
            a race against time for both the seed varieties (many have been lost)
            and methods.

            I would not call natural farming these methods though.

            Kostas

            --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Robert Monie <bobm20001@...>
            wrote:

            > Ayla,
            >
            > You and Kostas need to put these traditional farming practices
            into some documentary form (booklet, photos, DVD) to preserve it. I
            have Vietnamese friends who vaguely recall their grandmothers' way of
            growing but have lost most of the details and gotten out of practice.
            > Now they say: "I think this is the way she did it when I was
            little, but I'm not sure--I didn't always pay attention." It is sad
            how quickly such knowledge can disappear when areas are "modernized"
            or people have to migrate and new ways quickly take the place of old.

            > Best wishes,
            >
            > Bob Monie
            > New Orleans, LA
            > USA
            > ayla seyhun <aylaseyhun@...> wrote:
            > Dear Kostas,
            >
            > I am a neighbour to you. I live in Turkey, just across the sea,
            >
            > we live near villages where real natural farming is done based on
            centuries
            > of
            > live knowledge.
            >
            > I am surprised to hear their wisdom on agriculture, trees, soil,
            products...
            > I am sure that
            > you have similiar old villagers around.
            >
            > Maybe we may begin exchanging this cultural knowledge between our
            regions
            > and
            > share it with friends in the group.
            >
            > It may be easy for you to visit us, as ý know you dont't pay for
            visa coming
            > here, but we do pay going
            > there. You may come here from Lesvos island by boat. We are so near.
            >
            > Maybe we can organise agro tours, friends from different countries
            may visit
            > you and us in one package.
            > and this will be a great cultural feast for our souls,
            >
            > What do you think?
            >
            > Ayla
            >
            > On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 10:52 AM, karoubas wrote:
            >
            > > Dear Raju,
            > >
            > > Its always nice to hear from you - we really appreciate your
            > > contributions to this group and to see your farm in pictures.
            > >
            > > Kostas
            > >
            > > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com ,
            > > "Raju Titus"
            > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Dear friend,
            > > > Thank you very much for showing nice work of God.
            > > > Thanks
            > > > Raju

            > > pleased.

            Fukuoka

          • karoubas
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 13, 2008
              Hello Ayla,
              Its nice of you to offer a place for us to stay - its says a lot about
              what I already heard about - the hospitality of the Turkish people.

              Let me suggest that we should plan to do seeding projects in Turkey to
              reforest (turn into forests) the barren areas that I see in pictures -
              its important to reverse the desertification process that is occurring
              along the Mediterranean.

              Seeding projects should be done all around the areas that are affected
              (Lebanon, Israel, Syria, Egypt, Libya etc) - but we need to get moving
              - small at first.

              On your question about the trees I planted - I did plan about 8 olive
              trees this year - in keeping with the natural farming principles I
              planted a large variety of trees - apples grapes cherry trees etc. -
              the land will show me in time what is right for my area.

              wrote:

> [...]
              > > centuries
              > > > of
              > > > live knowledge.
              > > >
              > > > I am surprised to hear their wisdom on agriculture, trees, soil,
              > > products...
              > > > I am sure that
              > > > you have similiar old villagers around.
              > > >
              > > > Maybe we may begin exchanging this cultural knowledge between our
              > > regions
              > > > and
              > > > share it with friends in the group.
              > > >
              > > > It may be easy for you to visit us, as ý know you dont't pay for
              > > visa coming
              > > > here, but we do pay going
              > > > there. You may come here from Lesvos island by boat. We are so near.
              > > >
              > > > Maybe we can organise agro tours, friends from different countries
              > > may visit
              > > > you and us in one package.
              > > > and this will be a great cultural feast for our souls,

            • ayla seyhun
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 14, 2008
                Dear Friends,

                I felt to give some information about myself and my life.

                We (my husband and I) have left the big city a year ago, bought an old
                caravan and
                a 1967 model of land rover and moved into an unknown future for us.

                The universe kept us at an area where Gods and Godesses lived, like Zeus,
                Afrodite, Paris...
                The hills here are covered with olive trees and high hills (800-1800 m) with
                pine trees. There are more than 100 types of endemic vegetation in the area
                and many other are found every year. Some part of the area is a national
                park. The oxygen in the air is accepted as the best on the world for the
                human body. Good for asthma.

                There are also thermal baths around. The hotels in the area have little bed
                capacity. No mass tourism is available.

                But for me, there is a very big problem now. The old villagers have their
                own ways of natural farming. They dont use hormones, pesticizers,
                fertilizers... they dont have the money to afford them... but the youth dont
                want to learn these and follow their methods... they want to leave for the
                big cities... so if we dont learn from them, all will be forgotten... what
                I intend to do is to bring in people to these villages who will ask
                questions to the old people, appreciate them... and young people will begin
                to think, oh, if I learn these, too, I will be honored and I can survive and
                make money in my homeland. There is no need to go to the big cities...

                I could have made a family trust in me and had them change a part of their
                house to a guest house. Now from big cities people make their holiday plans
                to visit this village, eat local food and learn from them how they live... I
                wish and dream a lot that you come over, too. See what and how they do,
                encourage them, exchange ideas.... for a natural world to live together...

                I promise to prepare an english web site to show you the photos of this 500
                years old village.

                ayla

              • Robert Monie
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 14, 2008
                  Ayla,

                  There may be no way to keep the youngsters from moving to the city; the world demographic trend is overwhelmingly toward urban development. The relevant question may be not whether we are going to have cities everywhere (we probably will), but what kind of cities and whether they will be able to accomodate sustainable farming. What is most in danger now is the loss of farming traditions such as you are witnessing in your 500-year old village. If you or someone else does not preserve these traditions in film, text, audio, notebooks etc., the memory of them will blow away like leaves in the wind. And then, should the younger generation decide to build an ecocity or eco-neighborhood, they may do fine with building designs and materials and alternative sources of energy but come up short with appropriate agriculture for the area because the tradition was not preserved for (or by) them.

                  Many traditional methods of farming can be imported into the city, even the ecocity, but usually minus the farm animals. One strength of Fukuoka-style natural farming is that it doesn't rely much on farm animals (horses, cows, oxen, goats) with the exception of chickens, which, I believe, Fukuoka considers optional because green manure and cover crops can replace animal manure.

                  Best wishes,

                  Bob Monie

                • karoubas
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 15, 2008
                    Hello Ayla,

                    It sounds like you found a great place to stay - pine trees - olive
                    trees - small village life - do let us know when you set up your site
                    - its much more preferable to visit such a place than the crowded
                    cities - it also sounds like a great place to start a natural farm